Simulating spherical worlds

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Yes i know, spherical worlds are not happening. But how about emulating the gameplay mechanics of spherical worlds?

To be able to attack from any direction could bring a whole new level of gameplay to spring.

What i am thinking about is some kind of lua magic integrated into the map that defines borders that teleport the unit to the opposite border.

I imagine this would be quite easy to accomplish, and if the map is designed so that the borders are symmetrical it would not be possible to get the unit stuck during the teleport.
screen00118.jpg
(358.38 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
knorke

Re: Simulating spherical worlds

Post by knorke »

yes, possible.
done that:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=24611

making all borders teleports is just as easy, good luck ;)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

We had some maleware difficulties and therefore couldnt implement it.
Some Worm ate all the Way half through ZeroK, and managed to get himself included in 84.

Its now called WorK - we do everything to get your idea into the games, but right now, this little beast is giving us real trouble. ;)
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

doughnut, not sphere
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Knorke: nice!

Others: I have no idea what you two are talking about.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

PicassoCT is telling in his PicassoCT ways that People That Can are busy elsewhere.

koshi is tersely displaying irrelevant topological details.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You are facing east. Instructions:
  • Move 5 units forwards
  • Rotate anticlockwise 90 degrees
  • Move forwards 5 units
  • Move forwards 5 units
On a sphere: You are now where you started, facing south.
On a doughnut: You are now 5 units north of your starting position facing west.
maackey

Post by maackey »

AF wrote:You are facing east. Instructions:
  • Move 5 units forwards
  • Move forwards 5 units
  • Move forwards 5 units
On a sphere: You are now where you started, facing south.
On a doughnut: You are now 5 units north of your starting position facing west.
not precisely. if 5 units takes you to the meridian of the north/south pole axis, then yes you turn 90 degrees (or any direction for that matter) and you are facing south. but if 5 units is equivalent to say, 5 degrees or minutes longitude/latitude, you would be facing relatively the opposite direction you were in before.

also, I wouldn't say that doughnuts have a traditional north/south as well. The top and bottom of the map could be north, and the middle would have to be south, and that just gets confusing when trying to find relative positions and stuff.

not that spherical coordinates are any less complicated, which I think was the point. They are a lot more complex than simple flat two dimensional maps. It would be easier to create a spherical rts engine from scratch than integrate it with spring.
knorke

Post by knorke »

someone make a map where he wants to use it and i will make that teleport-from-edge-to-edge-bla
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Sumed up: Spring got ballz of steel?

Varikonniemi has volunteered to create SpeedmetallSphere. Thank you for your donation of time and effort.

As someone who wasted time on a haloquater, believing in typemaps to solve movementissues i demand this topic to be silenced. Really, if i would copy paste from a former formaldehyded donut-thread, would anybody actually notice? Maybe im doing that right now, beeing Meta Necro. The Engine is open.

Rewrite it you who want to have popolous 3 again.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I don't think lua teleportation is sufficient. Units can't fire over the boundary which gives short ranged units a massive advantage.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

You could add ghaia ghost teams into copys of the world, right, left, up and down, and sync them.

By the way, didnt once summone requested a manned mission to mars in here?
wolas

Post by wolas »

With teleportation most epic thing I saw on some map which has many teleports start building ADV FUSION (when u start building it wont teleport) and when u finish it hi hi hi! BOOOOOOOOOM at other side :D HAHAH
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Mr.Spherical we meet again!

Surely, if we give human players a round world to inhabitate, they wont fuck it up like they did with the real round world.

Actually, lets declare it a religious problem. Springcountrys statechurch believes in the flatworld hypothesis. Do not attempt heresy!
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

I am sorry for not keeping up with the wild flow here, and your elaborate explanations just don't seem to cut it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere
This is a sphere, what the map should look like if it would mimic real worlds (planets), right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toroid
This is a toroid, a doughnut-shaped object. This is what the map would look like if a orbital laser would chew through the middle of the planet.

Since you insist that it should be a doughnut, then i must ask: What am i missing?

Aside from this, i already got my answer in the first reply (thanks knorke).
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Its the problem of volume and what actually is at the center: Some insist as it is a spherical world, we should put something red inside it. Chili or strawberryjelly. I to the contrarfy would find a donut with vanilla or choclat cream way more intriguing.

AF trys to find a middleway, something for a saturn, surrounded by a donut, but i would find that combineAtion offensive.

So whats your taste? Banana cream?
maackey

Post by maackey »

A sphere emulation is not possible without serious deformation of the map and lots of other geometric irregularities not accounted for in the engine.

A toroid is what you get when you seam the top/bottom and the left/right edges of the map together.

Imagine taking a piece of paper and rolling it so the left/right edges meet. Tape them together and you have a "cylindrical world" but now you want the top and bottom to meet. Well, you end up with the aforementioned toroid.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

You know.
A experienced troll would
Now when to stop.

Should know when he has taken it to far.
The reason of anger becomes more of a tardition.
On the other hand, this is a classic.
Please, let it restin peace.

If in need for a subject
That gets the crowd going, why not start advertising BA on the board.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

PicassoCT: I don't know what your problem is or why you must behave that way. If i would have to guess i would say that you must be quite high and feel tremendously accomplished for successfully confusing me there. Congratulations, i guess.

maackey: Ok, now i get it, thanks. I was thinking about how it would be done if done properly, not in spring.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

There is actually not one "proper" way to get a plane onto a sphere or vice-versa. See xkcd comic.

Return to “Map Creation”