SpringLobby for Mac OS X: alpha pre-release

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

daftalx

Post by daftalx »

Ahoy ! Ahoy ! Dear iDGunners,

Now that the Spring engine is finally coming to Mac, I'd like to submit here a pre-release of SpringLobby for Mac OS X, on which the SL devs and myself have been working on. Future releases will most probably be available elsewhere, but I wanted you guys to give it a try and give your first impressions.

Big thanks to the SL-dev team (especially Koshi and BrainDamage) for guiding me through the first steps into the code, and adding Mac-specific features with or without my input.

DISCLAIMER: Please note that this release should be considered "alpha" stage, and the SpringLobby dev-team should not be held responsible for any Mac OS-related bugs you may find (it may just be me giving them a hard time :lol: ). This release is almost entirely built automatically, a few minor tweaks are done manually, so a regular release workflow might be set up in the not-so-far future.

QUICK START GUIDE:
  • Pre-requisite: Game content and settings are located in the ".spring" directory of your home folder, which is created the first time you run spring (*not* SpringLobby). If you start off fresh, make sure you create the "maps" and "mods" subfolders inside .spring to store your precious data. Note that you can reuse existing content, as this is platform-independent.
  • Download, unzip and run this
    If it's your first run, you'll get the traditional welcome message, followed by the preferences window. If not, you just land on the main window.
  • Either way, open the preferences panel (Edit > Preferences), and go the "Spring" tab. Focus on the third field, called "Spring App Bundle". Click on the "Browse" button and point to your Spring.app bundle (whichever version you wish to use). Finally click "Apply" and close the window. Note that in some cases you might need to re-open the preferences window and re-click on "Apply" (still figuring out why)
  • Connect (Server > Connect...) and enjoy 8)
CAVEATS (non-exhaustive):
  • SYNCING: any Spring version starting from the testing releases can be used with SpringLobby and will sync across platforms. This will *not* be the case for the current version (0.82.7.1 as of writing).
  • GUI: SL is backed by wxWidgets 2.9.x which is 64bits but in a beta stage on Mac. Therefore it may cause serious crashes from time to time (less with recent releases) and may also throw you some (many) warning boxes, which you may freely disregard.
  • BOTS: the "Add bot" window is initialized with width "1", which makes it tricky to see and expand. But if you do see it (look for a vertical shaded line on your screen), a few clicking attempts on the bottom (right-hand) handle should restore to a decent size.
  • DL: the torrent system is active, though I have had some trouble downloading maps/mods (curl errors). Manual dls into your "~/.spring/maps" and "~/.spring/mods" is recommended for now :wink:
Have fun !
daft

EDIT: the link has been updated with a more recent build made available by koshi in this very thread, which fixes several issues and is a bit more playable.
Last edited by daftalx on 18 Dec 2011, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
Bosque

Re: SpringLobby for Mac OS X: alpha pre-release

Post by Bosque »

Thanks for this, it's working great for LAN games It does crash, but with 2 players, it seems to generally work and the crashes happen at times that don't prevent us from setting up and playing the game.

For playing on the official servers, it crashes so often that we can't actually get a game going.

Good luck getting it better, let me know if you want more detailed bug reports (but it sounds like you have a fairly good idea of what they are).

Thanks for the ability to actually play the game.
daftalx

Post by daftalx »

I actually don't mind more reports. Difference between LAN and online experience is new to me. Curious to know what might be wrong...
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

My theory is there's simply more going on on the official server, and therefore more to go wrong? It will eventually crash ("critical error") when we're just connecting on a local server to play 2 player games in the same way.

So I tried out a few of the recent builds hosted on http://springlobby.info/macosx/ and found that they all have issues finding the correct libunitsync.dylib . the 0.139 builds seem to omit the dot and set it to libunitsyncdylib, and the 0.(1?)38 build I tried sets it to libunitsyncdylib.bundle. However all of them have significantly fewer wxwidgets message boxes.

Anyway, I would like to echo Bosque in saying that I am grateful that there is a lobby for OS X.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

This should fix the missing dot issue.
bfc

Post by bfc »

thanks Koshi!

Please, continue this way, this is great! :wink:

just one question: is there any way I can disable all these pop-up info messages when I launch the lobby?
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

If those are debug asserts they can, and probably should be, disabled via wx's build flags. Otoh, if they are indications of actual problems those should ofc be fixed in SL. So recording those messages might be nice.
TunkTunk

Post by TunkTunk »

Hey, I can't seem to download the lobby, clicking on the link just times out. Says the webpage is down or something?
daftalx

Post by daftalx »

TunkTunk wrote:Hey, I can't seem to download the lobby, clicking on the link just times out. Says the webpage is down or something?
I've edited the link to post the most recent build from koshi. Let us know if this works.
KaitlinMS

Post by KaitlinMS »

Thanks very much for editing the link!

I'm trying out the lobby now but I'm running into a problem each time I try to start a single player game. After choosing the game and map and clicking the Start button, the loading screen appears (with no activity). Then it closes and I get the following error:

Code: Select all

19:40:48: runtime assertion ( /buildbot/springlobby/koshi-osx/build/src/ibattle.cpp:751 ): Map does not exist.
19:40:48: runtime assertion ( /buildbot/springlobby/koshi-osx/build/src/ibattle.cpp:751 ): Map does not exist.
Am I not doing something correctly? Thanks in advance!
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

One of your spring dirs will contain an infolog.txt after such an unsuccessful launch. Find it and attach it.
KaitlinMS

Post by KaitlinMS »

Thanks for the quick reply, koshi. I've attached the infolog.
Attachments
infolog.txt
The requested infolog.txt
(4 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
daftalx

Post by daftalx »

Before checking further, have you set "LoadingMT=0" in youre settings ? (manually or via the standalone spring app)
KaitlinMS

Post by KaitlinMS »

Thank you so much, changing that LoadingMT setting did the trick!
TangentDelta

Post by TangentDelta »

I can't seem to change the size of the "add bots" window, no-matter how much random clicking I do. Is there a file somewhere in the bundle that I can mess with to change it to something bigger?

Edit: Also, any way to disable all of these debug messages?
ddoonn

Post by ddoonn »

Hi,
If you start off fresh, make sure you create the "maps" and "mods" subfolders inside .spring to store your precious data. Note that you can reuse existing content, as this is platform-independent.
It is also helpful to copy over the "games" folder

This works a lot better than 6-12 months ago when i got nowhere.

Lobby works. select Game and Map.
Add Bot works - saw a 1 pixel line and dragged to make visible. Added bot.
Start starts. Get splash screen then
--> osx crash
and then

Code: Select all

runtime assertion /buildbot/springlobby/koshi-osx/build/src/battle.cpp:751 ): map does not exist.
[/b]

macbook 5.1 2.4ghz core 2 duo, osx 10.7.3 (seems to be in 64 bit mode)

Happy to help get this working,

= Donald
daftalx

Post by daftalx »

The error message is only a warning => not vital here.
Check in the settings that you have set LoadingMT=0, then report back :)
ddoonn

Post by ddoonn »

daftalx wrote:The error message is only a warning => not vital here.
Check in the settings that you have set LoadingMT=0, then report back :)
found LoadingMT=0 and it works!!

Can the settings in spring be sorted in alphabetical order - ignoring case ? i was going through the LO entries and finding nothing until i scrolled lower down.

=donald
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

For reference there are a number of issues with SpringLobby when running under mountain Lion
  • Quite a few wxwidgets notices and warning dialogs popup at the start, they're not the most user friendly but pressing the right buttons will eventually get you past to the main app
  • Channel fonts are incredibly small. They appear to be set to the smallest possible size
  • It is not possible to set unitsyncs location, yet Springlobby repeatedly complains no unitsync was found. The app bundle is present and configured correctly, but Spring Lobby doesn't want to look inside it
  • Login windows etc regularly spawn behind the main window out of site
  • The lobby randomly crashed out at some arbitrary point, not sure why
  • The download page linked in the OP doesn't actually contain any lobby downloads for OS X
  • Extracting Koshis zip yielded a folder tree with springsettings in it, might be better to just include the app bundle rather than a whole folder tree from /

Return to “Mac OS X”