Dedicated Server?

Dedicated Server?

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

bmaciag

Dedicated Server?

Post by bmaciag »

I posted this on the general forums but decided that this would probably be the best place to bring it up. I've seen a large number of threads about hosting problems, and not enough servers etc. If this idea has already been proposed, then I apologize, as you can see this is my first post.

Ever thought about using the netcode already in place to create a dedicated server executable? I'm sure there are people out there that wouldn't mind leaving up a server, considering the low bandwidth costs for a 1v1 or 2v2 game. The code is already there, so it wouldn't be a huge project, and the benefits would be great. I think it would really do a lot to help keep people interested in playing.

I can almost promise 100% that I would be able to provide at least one dedicated server (providing it is compilable and executable under FreeBSD).
Zydox
Lobby Developer

Re: Dedicated Server?

Post by Zydox »

I would assume that the hosting problems you've heard about is regarding the main servers and not lobby battle hosts (for which I've only seen discussions about reducing the number of empty battle hosts)
knorke

Post by knorke »

original thread is from 2005.
it was bumped by spam.
Zydox
Lobby Developer

Post by Zydox »

Everyone loves a little spam in the morning... >_>

Return to “Engine”