Widget Manager

Widget Manager

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

very_bad_soldier

Widget Manager

Post by very_bad_soldier »

I finally found the time to make a standalone application from the widget module integrated in ZKLobby (formerly known as SpringDownloader).

Key features:
  • Browse online widget database
  • List status of installed widgets and if updates are available
  • Install/Uninstall/Update widgets
  • Downgrade widgets to older versions
  • Activate/Deactivate widgets (like F11 menu)
  • Read/Write comments for widgets
  • Rate widgets
  • Export/Import your installed/activated widget list to a local file
  • Export/Import your installed/activated widget list to your online player profile
  • Auto-updating itself to latest version
  • Linux compatible (Mono). Does not look great though
Download:
http://widgets.springrts.de/manager/WidgetManager.exe

This is the first version, so expect bugs. Please post bug reports (or whatever) here. Thanks.
Attachments
wm.jpg
(268.2 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Widget Manager

Post by Forboding Angel »

Hey neato! Nice1 VBS!
knorke

Post by knorke »

Generally such program has no use for me because I just dl widgets by hand and use the F11 list ingame. (never used the widget thing in the lobbies either) I also only use few custom widgets and do not like to spend ages tweaking my UI.
So I tested it anyway:

The program's spring.exe path was set some old install on an old hdd, so i deleted that spring version and restarted the widget manager.
Then it asked me to select path to spring.exe, i did that. Worked.
Though my widgets are not in the same folder as spring.exe so it only found some default widgets. (or something)
So I just clicked around a bit but did not test if disabling/enabling widgets really works ingame. I also did not want to mess up my widget configs ;)

-> it should be possible to select the path of of luaui\widgets, not just path for spring.exe (maybe for advanced users only)

Why excactly does it need lobby name+pw? I don't asume you want to steal accounts, just wondering.

win xp, everything looked ok.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

knorke wrote: -> it should be possible to select the path of of luaui\widgets, not just path for spring.exe (maybe for advanced users only)
It is supposed to detect that by itself but that may not be perfectly working at this moment. Where do you have your widgets?
knorke wrote: Why excactly does it need lobby name+pw? I don't asume you want to steal accounts, just wondering.
It is needed for different functions:
-ratings
-comments
-save your widget installation and activation list in your online profile

Nobody has to enter his credentials of course if he does not trust me or the application.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I haven't needed to use it at all as of late due to the huge decrease in regular widgets being pumped out.
aegis

Post by aegis »

Jazcash wrote:huge decrease in regular widgets being pumped out.
it's almost time for my yearly widget!
knorke

Post by knorke »

Where do you have your widgets?
F:\Spiele\spring-0.82.7 -> engine, lobbies
F:\Spiele\springcontent\ ->mods, maps,screenshots,... widgets

to be excact:
F:\Spiele\spring-0.82.7\spring.exe
F:\Spiele\springcontent\LuaUI\Widgets\
I haven't needed to use it at all as of late due to the huge decrease in regular widgets being pumped out.
nowadays most games include all needed (and some un-needed) widgets.

I think nobody is still hunting for ie "that things that makes builders guard their factory"
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Yeah and widget makers often get inspired go on to make their own mods instead of hanging around making widgets for BA. :-)
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

This utility is very useful and so hard to find it in forum)))
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Does anyone still use widgets?
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

knorke wrote:nowadays most games include all needed (and some un-needed) widgets.

I think nobody is still hunting for ie "that things that makes builders guard their factory"
I dont think it is true, at least for BA the included widgets aren't enough. And I think people still spend some time to find them, test, activate this one, etc...

Google_Frog wrote:Does anyone still use widgets?
So yes I use some of them and ppl around me also do.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Why don't these players ask the mod makers to include the widgets so everybody can use them?
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

knorke wrote:Why don't these players ask the mod makers to include the widgets so everybody can use them?
Some people like some widgets, another people dislike them. And for newbie it is hard to enable/disable widgets and understand what they do.

Also you can have advantages in the game because of widgets. So you don't really want to give these advantages to another people)))
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

jamerlan wrote:So you don't really want to give these advantages to another people)))
Who can argue with this logic, knorke? Geez. Get with the program.
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

jamerlan wrote: Some people like some widgets, another people dislike them. And for newbie it is hard to enable/disable widgets and understand what they do.
I agree but I think that some widgets are just necessary and should be included in the engine like knorke said.
Exemples:
- bomber control (who dont want to have a better attack control with bombers?)
- initial queue (who dont want to start faster a game with first units programmed)
- etc..
jamerlan wrote: Also you can have advantages in the game because of widgets. So you don't really want to give these advantages to another people)))
I agree also, but there is a very simple solution imo. Lets discuss about these fundamental widgets and include them so newbies wont need to download and activate them :mrgreen:

Ofc that interface widgets are optional and maybe should not be integrated directly.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

marciolino wrote: I agree but I think that some widgets are just necessary and should be included in the engine like knorke said.
Exemples:
- bomber control (who dont want to have a better attack control with bombers?)
Not all spring games have bombers. You should revise your opinion.
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

CarRepairer wrote: Not all spring games have bombers. You should revise your opinion.
That is why I wrote "exemples" and "Lets discuss about these fundamental widgets".
Ok, I didnt know some games dont have bombers but every game has units so "initial queue" would be usefull. Or I am still wrong?

There are so many other widgets that people are using and that improve the gameplay but if nobody is interested just say it, for me it wont change it is just for new players that it would change.
knorke

Post by knorke »

initial queue thing is in XTA since a long time.
I makes more sense to make a thread in eg the BA forum with a list of widgets you want included. Then also make such thread in forum of all other games.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I don't think any widgets should be included with the engine, you clearly don't know about it's diversity.
knorke

Post by knorke »

initial buildqueue would be useless in eg kernel panic because your startunit is a factorry.

thread about BA's widgets:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=27300

Return to “Lua Scripts”