Colonization: Space Era

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

http://code.google.com/p/colonization-space-era/

IDEA UPGRADE.
Factions and more.

Humanity, with all its sin, and corruption at least started to move into deep space. This is first frontier of those who eventually became first colonists of the distant space.
However, they took their sins into the space. That's how was started first inter space war.
High space command was corrupted, and after first conflict was turned up..without help of colonization generals they was easy target, that's what brotherhood of unity thought. They destroyed all generals and claimed main station as main citadel.

RACES:
Basically there is 4 races in this game - all have similar starting types of buildings, but different ones in further development (like in C&C tiberian dawn).

Brotherhood of Unity (BrUn):
Fanatics which on one of planet found out sacred knowledge of what ancient earth civilizations called "magic". Basically there is some psycho-warfare for them - mind control, ether energy sources, control of some elements trough technological powers.

Additional tech: more powerful build powers, more powerful energy income, fireballs, lightning generators etc.

Super weapon:
Moon-sized fireball.

Shadows of terrestrial being (STB):
Prison humans, which doesn't payed for their crimes, but took control of prison on another interesting planet... there they found ancient structures which has powerful void power. (another "magic"). Some mad scientists quickly assembled some devices which was capable of using void powers. To example teleportation, faster regeneration of ammunition-from-nowhere and worst of all - capability of control of black holes. Only minor problem - they wasn't able to reverse process of merging with void. That's why they're not humans anymore - only shadows of them...

Additional tech: much-more powerful cloak generators, black-hole weaponry, teleportation instead of jump-jets, faster weapon reloading.

Super weapon: Rift-strike generator.

Colonization outcasts (CO):
Space privateers, pirates of outer and inner circles of colonization program. Their part - fastest spaceships, regardless less powerful weapons, best pilots with loads of experience. This faction haven't too much of walking units, but have some really powerful ones, also more defense structures.

Additional tech: more flying units which also more faster, focus on piercing strikes (instead of STB area-of-effect weaponry), aoe surrounding powers (squad of jaguar space fighters feels their power and they attacks more quicker and powerful).

Super weapon: meteor-bombardment.

Scientifical warfare(SciW):

Successors of giant science complex which was isolated of central command. Their powers in very deep developing of terrestrial science knowledge. All units have powerful morphs into expanded types (space rover builder - space elephant tank - space mammoth tank and etc), armor more hard, basic weapons have more upgrades and larger radius. Also much more innovations.

Additional tech: every unit and building have +10% to health, special adaptive shields (there is interesting part - shields which can adapt to single weapon type to absorb its effect on 100%, but can't stand if they're will be attacked by another types of weapons (~5 seconds after last attack to release itself from adopted technicue) also only shields which can barely absorb damage of super-weapons), cold-fusion weaponry.

Super weapon: nuclear warhead.

Anyone Who interested in joining in project and helping to accomplish it please sign in right in this topic. I will be pleased.

Additional gadgets

Starcraft-like upgrade system
Comlpeted: 100%

UNITZ

Terran colonial module

First unit which you will receive at the beginning. It floats. Haven't any weapons, have small speed of moving, only purpose - find place to establish base. After this it disappears up, back to the starts.

Terran colonial base.

Main building. All-in-one complex including
- Radar module
- 4 solar batteries
- Energy storage
- Metal storage
- Missile command with missile silo (defensive part)
- Living dome
REWORKED: Now it makes units in front of it (sc like)

Terran Spaceship pad
Second but not least factory, allows you construct various types of spaceships: starting from mex-shuttle and finishing with light space-frigates. After researching "fusion development" it activates its side nano sprayers and having x2 build power. (or x3 after researching ether energy (BrUn))
Terran Laboratory Module (all upgrades are doing there)

Terran Supply Shuttle (basically harvester i suppose)

Terran Sneaker.

Unarmed jump-jet builder. Primary Terran construction unit (yep - its scv). Constructed into Colonial station.
Since first colonization moves, high command quickly learned that brigade of unarmored space-suits can't be so useful against hazardous areas. Engineers quickly assembled new walker. Basically its unarmed, but because of its jump-jets can jump in long distances for providing support around battlefield, as well as constructing new structures.

Terran Rover-builder.

Armed with basic rocket-launcher to prevent attacking of rover.

Light chaingun turret.

Basic defense structure. Good vs both flying targets and ground units. Shots with exploding bullets (3" caliber).

Terran Arac (armored assault chicken :D)
Light battle walker (hi mechwarrior). Shoots with exploding disks (hi there C&C Tiberian Sun :D), and upgrades with Twin missile launcher (Serious guns upgrade).
This tiny unit was created for the first encounters between colonies. New Ballistic disk weapon was perfect in both gas and vacuum environments. Since then was developed new, more powerful battle walkers, but this one, due its cheap price and good battle characteristics still actively used for small warfares and raiding.

Terran Space-mamonth assault rover.

One of the last units (t2 or t3 i suppose). Giant battle fortress designed as large mobile turret (transportable with t3 lifter)

YAY FIRST SCREENSHOT

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9288177/screen00004.png

Ok. I have no idea what is this craft. Kinda alien vortex craft...i dunno
Recent reports showed that nearby one of our colonies was spotted unknown craft. Material looks like serious messup from different metals and polymers, cabin also can't be scanned. Military structures in 100% combat readiness.

Appendix:
GAH..too much info - I'll make wiki then.
Last edited by smoke_th on 19 May 2011, 18:50, edited 19 times in total.
exciter

Re: Colonisation: Space Era

Post by exciter »

looks impressive :D
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Skip the flavour text, what's the plan for the gameplay? TA-style mechanics, but in space with voidwater maps?

Those models have some great assets - the main body of the first one looks good, and the rounded part and the flat part of the second looks great. But that gradiated brushed metal skin you used on the first model in the little wedges and stuff? It makes it look like the lighting has gone crazy. Like your normals are completely out-of-whack. In general, the little wedges and boxes look kind of bolted on, but they might be able to pass if they had a better texture (or normals, if the normals are causing the problem).

The second one has a similar problem in that things like the little solar collectors don't really integrate in with the model - they look kind of stuck-on.
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

:-) Good, good.
About solar collectors - i will fix them with black metal and more blurred-to-black texture. Don't worry about it.
Well mostly i guess it will be ta mechanics but without nanospam. Base building up most of the units, then there will be military base which will build more serious units for fight.
Also in plan if i will find good lua coder to help, we will write upgrade gadget-widget (starcraft-like upgrades).

First units will be (for terrans) like moon-rovers with rocket launchers installed (basic type of weaponry in space). Then there will be some flying units like resource-sucker space shuttle (harvester-like..for this matter i thinking about
1. unpacking harvester-to-metal mex
2. Take oksnoop's asteroids-generator-on-metal mex)
Flying weapon platforms.
Also in plans make interesting effect - space gantry space-fighter caller - basically just factory which building platform located very high in air so airships will fly down after creation to reach their normal altitude.

Then I a bit stuck with selection
Or we making sectoids-from-x-com-like race with ufo, wierd tech and stuff, or we making another bullshitty chicken-like race. I'm really confused about selection of enemy race.

Current goal to make terrans looks like modern technologies, but shifted to the future around 100 years (nano construction).

P.S. Wait, who saz earth 2150?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Before you go too much further... did you intend to misspell Colonization?
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

:oops: WHOOPS
knorke

Post by knorke »

weee space mod :)
i suggest brighter textures because space is black, hard to see black units on black background.
solar panels: these small panels make little sense for such a big station anyway, i would rework them into antennas.
smoke_th

Re: Colonization: Space Era

Post by smoke_th »

This not entirely space mod. Well at least you will be able to play it normally on ground maps.
Well and because i can't make (build) units already floating in air i suppose you will sill need some ground to place buildings.
UPG in head-message
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Make little planets that are surrounded by space. Planets could act like ground where ground units would dominate, but space units would have to get them their, so you mix space naval strategy with ground strategy, and the in between (such as units that can come into atmosphere like fighters, dropships, ect.).
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

Nope. Too complicated and imo retarded for complex strategy which mostly based on ta. There will be standard layout of building and growing of forces, only difference - it will depend more on open-space technologies, not planet-based ones.
As well as upgrade systems (need good lua-coder for coop work on gadget). I do not want to turn spring into real-time master of orion or some sort of similar global-space strategy.
Blackdutchie

Post by Blackdutchie »

Will there be jetpack infantry?
knorke

Post by knorke »

planets that are surrounded by space
far out man :shock:
As well as upgrade systems
zwszg has done multiple unlock-unit system things (cant find thread) and iam doing something similiar that also allows unit upgrades. (ie upgrade units to get faster speed, an extra missle launcher, faster rof etc)
gundam has teching too.
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

Jet-pack infantry - no. Jet-pack jumping kbots - YES :D
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

all i got to say is less letters, more content. u are not the first person here with such thread who didnt make game.

this shuttle is cool, where did u get this texture ?
scifi

Post by scifi »

nice project whats the gameplay
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

Wombat wrote:all i got to say is less letters, more content. u are not the first person here with such thread who didnt make game.

Its all about correct uvmapping. Look at the texture itself.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

ya i know, n1 texture :)
scifi

Post by scifi »

smoke_th wrote:
Wombat wrote:all i got to say is less letters, more content. u are not the first person here with such thread who didnt make game.

Its all about correct uvmapping. Look at the texture itself.
pls say more stuff ideas e.t.c..

i can help for sure with some stuff, but say more gameplay, how the economy will work e.t.c....

im interested in space mods, but pls what about starting units, or buildings the actual early mid game evolution e.t.c....
smoke_th

Post by smoke_th »

New Upgrade. Work continues. Btw wombat - i made cockpit and back body part of shuttle with splines (mostly)
knorke

Post by knorke »

nice.
do all models share the same texture?
blue=teamcolor?

Return to “Game Development”