League of Legends - Page 5

League of Legends

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: League of Legends

Post by smoth »

Otherside wrote:The League of Legends dev team is huge and keeps expanding but they have yet to keep any of their promises
Which ones
Otherside wrote:and can't even provide basic functionality (proper spectator mode/replays etc etc)
Or I don't know, a fun game. how much did you pay for it? I don't think 50$ in game credit is too much.
Otherside wrote:Also watch their Developer shoutcast match Ionia vs Noxus which they hyped up for over a week only for it to be the most fail thing on the internet.
I doubt it was the THE MOST FAIL thing on the internet.
Otherside wrote:you need to pay 200+ dollars and grind hardcore in league of legends to have all the content.
When you go to a restaurant do you order everything on a menu or what you like? how often do you eat at the same place and get the same thing because you like to eat just that.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Otherside wrote:grind hardcore in league of legends to have all the content.
This is the part I like a lot. It means casual newbies won't ever make it into my games. They get stuck in their own little world until they give up.

Anyone can cough up some lunchmoney for HoN. Not all are dedicated enough to play through hours and hours just to start playing.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Regret wrote:
Otherside wrote:grind hardcore in league of legends to have all the content.
This is the part I like a lot. It means casual newbies won't ever make it into my games. They get stuck in their own little world until they give up.

Anyone can cough up some lunchmoney for HoN. Not all are dedicated enough to play through hours and hours just to start playing.
Thats what ELO is for
smoth

Post by smoth »

ELO is a fail system.

no room for experimentation.
no room for a mess up.
smurfs can rape noobs for fun because they trust the system.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Otherside wrote:Thats what ELO is for
ELO is a joke when it comes to solo queue. I would rather be on team with someone that has 500 games under his belt than a random newbie that got carried a few games.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

smoth wrote:ELO is a fail system.

no room for experimentation.
no room for a mess up.
smurfs can rape noobs for fun because they trust the system.

HF smurfing when you can't play ranked till your level 30

You don't want people to mess up and you don't want people to experiment.

thats what normal mode is for.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I play in normal mode.

ranked people bring their smurfs there.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

also to Smoth's questions above.

Riot have failed to provide a lot of things that they had promised to the community the biggest problems being the following.

New maps (this has been promised since beta infact beta even had a map select screen) its been like 2 years now and they keep sidestepping.

Spectator support. This had also been promised atm only in tournaments (lol competitve LoL) and events do they have spectators to live stream and even that is done with a dodgy 6v5 summoner spell hax.

Pause function. Proven to be a problem in their livecast.

Replays. Again promised but haven't delivered and keep making excuses.

Revamp of the client not using Adobe Air. Newp

Their are tons of other things. The only thing they do release is new Champions (with not much thought) and horrid balance changes because they don't know how they want their game to be played so they just have knee jerk reactions and buff/nerf without thinking about it.

The most fail thing on the internet showcasing all that is bad with Riot. http://www.own3d.tv/video/46533/Riot_Ga ... -_03_02_53_

For 30 dollars I can have the whole menu in HoN and DOTA/DOTA2.
DavetheBrave

Post by DavetheBrave »

I'm fairly certain Riot just was not at all prepared for the massive popularity of that game, which has really caused most of the problems that you have mentioned.

Their f2p business model really slows them down as well, because most of the content has be on the servers, so every time they add a feature they have to add a lot of hoopla programming for the massive amounts of users to be able to access the feature.

Lots of the things that they don't have are really silly (lack of supported ladder clan matches). The way they balance is really frustrating(basically, nerfing the most popular strategies, and not waiting until a natural counter to the popular strategy presents itself).

However, about the Noxus vs Ionia game, it was a _lore_ match, not meant to be a competitive match. The participants were chosen from who was most active on the lore forum. It was just a for fun game. If you want to see competitive LoL, go back and watch the WCG. Riot never claimed that this was meant to be a competitive match.
smoth

Post by smoth »

lol funny how otherside is like I am not giving them money unless I get features first. :P
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

smoth wrote:lol funny how otherside is like I am not giving them money unless I get features first. :P
I was going to buy riot points at first but Riot for some reason have barred Gibraltar from buying riot points I send a email to tech support with no reply I even mentioned it to the community team leader who happened to be in one of my games and nothing happened. And after all that they failed so hard with so many other things I wouldn't give them a penny anyway.

I am all for supporting indie devs and I buy all my games I rarely ever pirate anything. But Riot just seem like a money hungry machine. Who think churning out superfluous content like skins is more important than real content/features.
Last edited by Otherside on 12 Dec 2010, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

so that is the real reason.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

smoth wrote:so that is the real reason.
part of the reason like 1 percent
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

DavetheBrave wrote:I'm fairly certain Riot just was not at all prepared for the massive popularity of that game, which has really caused most of the problems that you have mentioned.

Their f2p business model really slows them down as well, because most of the content has be on the servers, so every time they add a feature they have to add a lot of hoopla programming for the massive amounts of users to be able to access the feature.

Lots of the things that they don't have are really silly (lack of supported ladder clan matches). The way they balance is really frustrating(basically, nerfing the most popular strategies, and not waiting until a natural counter to the popular strategy presents itself).

However, about the Noxus vs Ionia game, it was a _lore_ match, not meant to be a competitive match. The participants were chosen from who was most active on the lore forum. It was just a for fun game. If you want to see competitive LoL, go back and watch the WCG. Riot never claimed that this was meant to be a competitive match.
LoL has no competitive scene or at least a competitive scene with any merit and never will because of the nature of the game. Unless everyone is on a level playing field it will never be a serious competitive title and that would involve riot seriously changing LoL so it will never happen.

You also have different devs for different things. The Riot dev team is huge I am pretty sure they have sufficient coders to give importance to many of the features the community wants.
DavetheBrave

Post by DavetheBrave »

Otherside wrote: LoL has no competitive scene or at least a competitive scene with any merit and never will because of the nature of the game. Unless everyone is on a level playing field it will never be a serious competitive title and that would involve riot seriously changing LoL so it will never happen.
I don't disagree, but I just play the game casually. I like to try to improve my play, but that's it.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

also the lore match apart from being cheesy as hell and quite creepy at times. Had a disconnect but no pause function and a hackjob of a spectator feature.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Otherside wrote:
DavetheBrave wrote:I'm fairly certain Riot just was not at all prepared for the massive popularity of that game, which has really caused most of the problems that you have mentioned.

LoL has no competitive scene or at least a competitive scene with any merit and never will because of the nature of the game. Unless everyone is on a level playing field it will never be a serious competitive title and that would involve riot seriously changing LoL so it will never happen.

You also have different devs for different things. The Riot dev team is huge I am pretty sure they have sufficient coders to give importance to many of the features the community wants.
Are you referring to the level system and the fact that you have to unlock the characters you want to play? Most of the competitive players don't find that a serious impediment, they have unlocked everything they need.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

I have tons of runes and a lot of champs and several skins WITHOUT paying a dime. Now there is still a lot to unlock but there is no hurry. I play this game because it is fun. This is NOT grinding. Grinding would be killing some 1xp monsters for 5 hours to get a level up. What I do is playing with my friends have a great time and I also get paid for it as a bonus so I can get new champs. Besides you don't need ALL of the contect. 50% of runes are trash anyway. I'm pretty sure I have all the runes I need already. When it comes to champions there are still many I would like to have but I have enough atm... In fact I have so many that I can't play all of them efficiently with the amount of runes pages I have (I have 5 pages) coz some champs require some really specific set-ups. Like Kennen or Tryndamere.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Ye some good LoL players have unlocked shit and can play a few champions cos they have the masteries setup. But I doubt all top tier players have every champ unlocked and every possible rune combination. It is also hard for new competitive players to jump into the scene because they need to grind.

You can't really test or run all strats because chances are not everyone in the team has everything unlocked + runes and probably your enemy doesn't either so someone will always be disadvantaged with picks/choices.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

What you say holds truth only partly. I'm pretty sure they do have all the champs unlocked. Coz its not as difficult to do as you think, even more so if you're willing to spend money. On the other hand you don't really need all the champions. You just get few champs of different sorts. Ashe for example, one of the best ranged carries in the game. She costs 450ip, you get 250ip for the first win of the day and slightly above 100 for every win (63 or something for a loss). Three games to buy one of the best carries in the game. This is not really grinding to me. Besides the weekly free champions are set up in such way that even teams which don't own a single champion can form a decent combination with the free champs. Thats the whole idea. :)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”