ubuntu how to get back to desktop while ingame ?

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Jonny5isalivetm

Post by Jonny5isalivetm »

Hi all

alt + tab or windows "super" key dont work via ubuntu..

how do I get back to desktop while ingame with ubuntu ?
(only way is to quit current game)
Cheers

Jonny
aegis

Re: ubuntu how to get back to desktop while ingame ?

Post by aegis »

run in a window and use your window manager method for fullscreen
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

I'm new to linux and am currently having a similarish problem. Spring thinks my dinky laptop screen should be the screen it is displayed on. Not the nice giant one i have plugged into it. I am currently running in windowed mode right now to get it on the bigger screen. I don't like windowed mode though. Would what your suggesting work for my problem as well? If so could you explain it a bit more in detail please.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

install a program called "devilspie", set spring to be windowed
then do those simple commands:

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/.devilspie
cd ~/.devilspie
wget http://filebin.graasmilk.net/Spring%20Fullscreen.ds
press alt F2
in the run prompt, enter devilspie
weepee

Post by weepee »

What is the difference between this script and using your window manager to put the window in full screen mode like aegis said?

By the way, is there a chance Spring get rid of this ÔÇ£featureÔÇØ (the full screen lock thing)? I bet every Linux user get stuck by it at least once.

@oksnoop2: In theory you can launch an application on the screen you want by setting the DISPLAY variable. You can try this:

DISPLAY=:0.1 spring
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

weepee wrote:What is the difference between this script and using your window manager to put the window in full screen mode like aegis said?
they are the same thing, my script simply automates it based on a rule on window name
weepee wrote:By the way, is there a chance Spring get rid of this ÔÇ£featureÔÇØ (the full screen lock thing)? I bet every Linux user get stuck by it at least once.
no, the bug is in the SDL library, which I reckon is used by 99% of the games in linux, therefore all games in linux share the same flaw; SDL needs be fixed instead or an alternative be used ( highly unlikely since it'd require some major rewriting )
weepee wrote:@oksnoop2: In theory you can launch an application on the screen you want by setting the DISPLAY variable. You can try this:

DISPLAY=:0.1 spring
this is more awkward, you'd have to switch X session which is much slower, plus you'd have to do a mix of ctrl alt Fkey + alt tab
weepee

Post by weepee »

BrainDamage wrote:no, the bug is in the SDL library, which I reckon is used by 99% of the games in linux, therefore all games in linux share the same flaw; SDL needs be fixed instead or an alternative be used ( highly unlikely since it'd require some major rewriting )
Yes indeed, my question should have been ÔÇ£Is it possible to get rid of SDL for the full screen management part?ÔÇØ.
BrainDamage wrote:this is more awkward, you'd have to switch X session which is much slower, plus you'd have to do a mix of ctrl alt Fkey + alt tab
I was not thinking about another X session (which would require DISPLAY=:1). IsnÔÇÖt a screen plugged into a laptop seen as a second screen on the same display (or X session)?
Jonny5isalivetm

Post by Jonny5isalivetm »

cool.

thanks for replies..

il give that a go next time I load the ubuntu box and report back..

everything seems to work nicer in windows... even tho ima major ubuntu fan..

Jonny
Pithikos

Post by Pithikos »

Instead of learning scripting and all that that the others suggested there is a much easier way.

1: Make spring windowed
Go to your "Spring Settings". Make sure that "Expert Mode" is chosen. Then go to "Render quality/Video mode" and uncheck "Run full-screen".
Now the game will run always in a window.

2: Make a shortcut to un/fullscreen
Go to System>Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts. There under "Window Management" should be an option "Toggle fullscreen mode" and next to that there is a key shortcut that you can change to your own preferences. I have set ALT+F to be my shortcut.

So next time you run spring just press the shortcut(ALT+F in my case) and it should work. :)

p.s. now you can run fullscreen ANY program by just pressing the key shortcut

edit: by the way if that doesn't work, while you are in the "Keyboard Shortcuts" click on "Add" and as Name give something like "Toggle to Fullscreen". As command add this:

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,fullscreen
That needs wmctrl that you can download from Synaptic. I just checked it and that's what I use.
Enjinn

Post by Enjinn »

Pithikos - so simple. Thanks.
Manoa

Post by Manoa »

will it work if spring resolution is greater than desktop resolution ? my video driver (catalyst 11.1) does not allow switching in GL mode to a resolution higher than the current

Return to “Linux”