Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 316

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Kloot
Spring Developer

Re: Random WIP

Post by Kloot »

jK wrote: CA uses its own gadget which works much better
Better how? Just asking, haven't looked at the precise shader implementation differences.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Kloot wrote:
jK wrote: CA uses its own gadget which works much better
Better how? Just asking, haven't looked at any shader implementation differences.
First, it is easier to use for the modder because he doesn't need to edit the unitdefs.
Second, the gadget autodetects when the user deactivates shadow/adv unit shading at runtime.
Third, it doesn't use a 1:1 copy of the default shader, instead it also improves the shading in general. So it uses per-pixel diffuse lighting which increases the quality a lot (on models with large polygons), also it doesn't clamp the sun diffuse light and so allows overexposure. Both makes the model brighter and adds additional depth.
And last but not least, it is very fast (uses Spring.UnitRendering interface).
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

SirArtturi > thx

Beherith > hehe, awesome map btw :)

jK, FLOZi > good to know thx. I quickly tried to pick CA's gadget, but it looks likes that different .lua files are used to make normalmaps (like, api_subdir_gadgets.lua, CustomUnitShader/*, etc). What files do I really need ?
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Never cease to amaze Cremuss, love it. Only small crit is that a couple of those turrets would be a little hard to differentiate at moderate zoom.
TheRegisteredOne

Post by TheRegisteredOne »

fucking awesome
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

wow u wont expect that this is spring, add some pics to the spring-gallery
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Yeah when I first saw the screenies I thought it was supcom because it looked so damn good and smooth.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Was think I would log on and hopfully have a clear winner on which back pack to use, however I then got compleatly side tracked by complete and utter WIN. Sometimes you just have to sit back and marvel.

Cremuss... Your awesome. I only hope my stuff looks half as good ingame.

Though if everyone could go back now and tell me which backpack to use by lunch I'd still like to know.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

really, really nice cremuss :-)
i also like the solars as they are.
the logic beihind making all buildings of a faction similar (when thinking in realism), si that they use same materials and technique to build the buildings. it would not make sense to make a building look liek the others, if it has to use different material, just for the looks.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

aGorm wrote:Was think I would log on and hopfully have a clear winner on which back pack to use, however I then got compleatly side tracked by complete and utter WIN. Sometimes you just have to sit back and marvel.

Cremuss... Your awesome. I only hope my stuff looks half as good ingame.

Though if everyone could go back now and tell me which backpack to use by lunch I'd still like to know.
Anything in particular (besides extra texturing and uv work) preventing you from using both? They both look excellent and unique. Btw, what do you use to bake your AO? I used xNormal but the results arent nearly as smooth.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

By both do you mean one either side? Or just as two differnt versions? The only problem I see with two differnt versions is that there's nowere gameplay wise for a second one so it would be a waste of UV space to do both...

Thats Wings internal bake, which works by changing the vertex colours and as such is always nice and smooth asuming that you have a high enough polly model. (that models actully a smoothed version - quad divide).

Normaly I'll hit smooth (quad divide) befor I hit AO for a better result (and then bake it to a texture and re-import to the original low polly...) but in this case I just posted the smoothed shots as I doubted anyone would care if it was lower polly in game.

Also be awear that if all an objects verts are "inside" another object it will come out black (like a pipe between two walls or somthing), so i genraly add in a few loops on those sort of things.

(Yes... its a weird system, but I like it)

aGorm
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

thanks all !
That's very motivating :-)

aGorm > both looks good but I prefer the second one, it fits better to the overall shape of your model. Also, the first one reminds me of a jetpack upside down :D
'Looking forward to see the textures :-)
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

@agorm cant u use both styles (maybe one for a fatter robot)
d-gun

Post by d-gun »

put cremuss's screenshots on media page?
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

I didnt dare to say anything yet cause it so obvious: Behe's maps + Cremuss' models = spring looking really REALLY good!!
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

brrrap brrap
Attachments
AK_and_M16render.png
(96.57 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

whats it all for spiked? cool stuff, weapons certainly look accurate
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Nice cremuss - there's a professional cohesiveness about all your work.

Watch out for the obvious mirror in the lights of the radar (I think it's a radar - bottom middle, a more orthogonal layout of the lights will hide your mirror planes)
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I setteled on the one's that dont look likejump packs... and I also neatened up the armor so it was more ornate (which is what I had in mind).

Smoothed AO pics, hope you like.

aGorm
Attachments
lordshow4.jpg
(23.96 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
lordshow3.jpg
(27.52 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Couldn't resist.

Return to “Art & Modelling”