Downloads page

Downloads page

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

enetheru

Downloads page

Post by enetheru »

Hi again.

The downloads page has the largest number of hits for any wiki page. Its probably the first page that people try to get to.
Because of this, I decided I would provide a mockup of the changes I think would make the page more aesthetically pleasing.

http://springrts.com/wiki/User:Enetheru

I wanted to put the source code section at the top to highlight the fact its not a game download page, but didn't.

Let me know what you think good or bad.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Re: Downloads page

Post by Satirik »

MT should be "unstable" instead of "unofficial"
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

for the DL links, it would be nice to have icons, eg an MS/windows logo for the installer, and an archive resembling one for the portable archive.
Same for source archives.

The very first part should not be red text, but instead in some outstanding box, in with appealing layout. Something that says:
"come here, click the link inside of me!"
now it sais:
"You are on the wrong page! go back!"
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Satirik wrote:MT should be "unstable" instead of "unofficial"
duly noted
hoijui wrote:for the DL links, it would be nice to have icons, eg an MS/windows logo for the installer, and an archive resembling one for the portable archive.
Same for source archives.

The very first part should not be red text, but instead in some outstanding box, in with appealing layout. Something that says:
"come here, click the link inside of me!"
now it sais:
"You are on the wrong page! go back!"
Totally right on the colour front :)

I had a really quick look at the legality of using Microsoft and Apple trademarks and logos. it would seem that Microsoft wont let you use anything without permission, and Apple allows only the use of their name as referring to a product that's compatible but not the use of their logo in such context.
http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/gu ... rties.html
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en ... fault.aspx

There is no such restrictions on the linux logo.
http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/

Updated page to reflect requests. minus the icons.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

for fetching source, when using git you need to add a note that you need to checkout the release tag afterwards, or the version you'll fetch that way won't work online
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

for the text agina (the one that is in green now), i though more on something like the lorem ipsum box here:
http://springrts.com/wiki/Sandbox
.. using different colors of course.

for the icons:
i am sure there are tons of icons that do not come from MS or apple directly, but that remind us just as well on the two. most download pages have such icons, and i bet not more then 1% of them use some official logos they got from MS or Apple.. so it can't be a problem.
i mean.. use an icon of any windows, and an other of an X.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Brain Damage wrote:for fetching source, when using git you need to add a note that you need to checkout the release tag afterwards, or the version you'll fetch that way won't work online
let me know what u think.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

hoijui wrote:for the text agina (the one that is in green now), i though more on something like the lorem ipsum box here:
http://springrts.com/wiki/Sandbox
.. using different colors of course.

for the icons:
i am sure there are tons of icons that do not come from MS or apple directly, but that remind us just as well on the two. most download pages have such icons, and i bet not more then 1% of them use some official logos they got from MS or Apple.. so it can't be a problem.
i mean.. use an icon of any windows, and an other of an X.
those boxes are annoying to manipulate at tho top of an article because of the side menu(pushes it underneath), I would have to learn how to turn it off. or get around it. and its value is minimal.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

enetheru wrote:
Brain Damage wrote:for fetching source, when using git you need to add a note that you need to checkout the release tag afterwards, or the version you'll fetch that way won't work online
let me know what u think.
much better, I hope only the tag string will be kept up to date with the releases :P
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I still say the Games Download page should be a section of the Download page, and not cast away in a separate page.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

zwzsg wrote:I still say the Games Download page should be a section of the Download page, and not cast away in a separate page.
Its only a mockup so we can play a bit.
How do you want to organise that?
With links to the respective games download pages?
Is there any criteria that has to be met before the game can be included on the page? otherwise we have to let it be a ffa for all mods and that doesn't sound appealing.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Hmm, it seems you didn't understand: That game downloads is not about listing every game and mod. It's about listing games that have installers.

I hope that you see the difference between downloading a sdz, and downloading an exe that installs the whole Spring engine plus a mod and some maps.

First time users would naturally go the download page:
- When a first time user download a .sdz, he's lost.
- When a first time user download a spring engine without game, he's confused.
- When a first time user download KP installer or S.D., he can play right away.

So which belongs there?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

Have some more tips...
(sorry if it sounds rude, its too hot to be nice today ;-) )

MT (executable) should be in the windows section. (there will/could be a headless client and dedicated server too)

when going to the download page, i want to see what i need as fast as possible, with important stuff color coded maybe (win-only, <version>, unstable, ...). I do not want to read sentences or paragraphs like:
SelectionEditor
Click here to download all required binaries to run the latest SelectionEditor. Sources are in git.
rather:
SelectionEditor (cross-platform): windows binary source archive source repository
Latest Stable Snapshot
... does not make sense to me. it is either stable or a snapshot. -> confusing

Unstable Test Builds
remove the Test

Click here to download the installer -> download installer

Backup download link -> mirror

Do not have full sentences just for the sake of it:
Linux
The Linux set up guide provides set up information for various Linux distributions.
When the user comes to the page, he does not want to read, just to see and click. only make him read if it REALLY needs to be, like the very first sentence (now green).
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

SelectionEditor (cross-platform): windows binary source archive source repository
selection editor is no way cross platform using windows only gui components and having selectkeys.txt location hardcoded
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Imho, the CA guys need to get a Spring + SD installer. SD makes fetching mods and maps and joining games so seamless that a Spring+SD installer might be the easiest way to get to the major use-case of Spring (that is, download, install, find the first BA+DSD game you can).
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Hmmm oh you're right. I wrongly assumed SD would autodownload Spring. It seems it does not.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

But next Spring will download SD I believe.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Dependent, of course, on selected settings.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

"Spring Downloader", downloading Spring? Don't be ridiculous.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

>.<

Make the windows download a big windows icon with the filename underneath and size, then put a big OS X apple logo next to it, and a linux logo next to that, and have them link to the relevant parts.

Dont present me with a wall of text.

Return to “General Discussion”