DWARF FORTRESS - Page 61

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by Wartender »

DF is an excellent game to have when you're stuck in an airport for 5 hours without internet
Regret

Post by Regret »

New version is imo not succession worthy yet, and it will be at least a month until it will become less buggy. I would suggest we do a fort with 40d.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

I dont mind to do 40d succession, but imo, the new version has too much to offer to miss it out.

Id also suggest to do a modded version (of 2010) where you can produce weapons from any metal, since, due to the new physics of the metals, they are actually "balanced", i.e. gold will do very poor damage, unless its a hammer, and even then, due to elasticity that gold has, the damage will still be poor.
Edible

Post by Edible »

Idk just hope we find some functional metals I think.
Or make obsidian swords for everyone.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Metal is quite plentiful now.
RogerN

Post by RogerN »

I also recommend waiting for the next bug fix before starting a succession game. The current version is mostly stable, but military dwarves refuse to use crossbows - and that can quickly lead to death.

I just lost my first fort in the new version:
[SPOILERS]
A forgotten beast showed up, and I planned to use an elaborate system of bridges to trap the beast and squish it. Unfortunately, one of Toady's little "surprises" is that bridges don't work when a forgotten beast is standing on them :( The beast ran right up into my fort and killed all 30+ dwarves, with barely a scratch on him from my steel-clad axedwarf militia.
[/SPOILERS]
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

RogerN wrote:I just lost my first fort in the new version:
[SPOILERS]
A forgotten beast showed up, and I planned to use an elaborate system of bridges to trap the beast and squish it. Unfortunately, one of Toady's little "surprises" is that bridges don't work when a forgotten beast is standing on them :( The beast ran right up into my fort and killed all 30+ dwarves, with barely a scratch on him from my steel-clad axedwarf militia.
[/SPOILERS]
Sounds cool

Bridges were always a bit too easy way to kill stuff imo.

Is the game faster than before btw? Im gonna try this new version and gotta decide how big area I can afford.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

There isnt much point in playing on big areas anymore. You get about 60-80 z-levels down full of metal and fun.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I don't know, I've always been a fan of the above ground activities. I prefer to avoid running out of trees, plants, fishing grounds, etcetera.
RogerN

Post by RogerN »

I don't know, I've always been a fan of the above ground activities. I prefer to avoid running out of trees, plants, fishing grounds, etcetera.
That's the beauty of the new version. Trees, plants, fishing, and wildlife are all plentiful in the caverns. Granted, there aren't quite as many trees underground as you would get in a forest. But the elf traders tend to bring a *lot* more wood in this version.

If you don't find water for fishing in the first cavern level, just keep digging. It used to be extremely frustrating to start a fort in an area without a brook or river, but now water is quite plentiful in the caverns. If the first cavern layer doesn't have it then another probably will.
Edible

Post by Edible »

Consensus seems roughly to wait a month / next bugfix?, we should start now really by compiling a list of who is interested.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I'm interested but I suck so hard I'm going to exclude myself.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

current release is silly, weapons cant penetrate armour made of a stronger metal. in other words, a dwarf in bronze armour >>> 500 dwarfs with iron weapons
Erom

Post by Erom »

Yeah, the combat balance is wacky right now. Basically small wounds don't compound at all, so unless you deal a single fatal blow before you cover your enemy with small wounds, you will never kill him. Wrestlers in particular are pretty worthless.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:current release is silly, weapons cant penetrate armour made of a stronger metal. in other words, a dwarf in bronze armour >>> 500 dwarfs with iron weapons
bronze weapons are worthless against iron armor you mean. It's kind of realistic... with the exception of axes and maces. A bronze knife, sword, or spear will blunt against an iron plate. Likewise for iron to steel.

Honestly, a bronze knife isn't even that great against leather armor... the edge it holds just isn't that deadly.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Bronze is better weapon metal than soft iron, harder edge, longer lasting.

The misconception comes from the fact that most of the things we call "iron" is actually steel nowadays.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Yeah, if you have a properly trained metalurgist, IRL iron < bronze < steel, though even that is an oversimplification and it actually depends on the application.
RogerN

Post by RogerN »

The latest version of DF is a little skewed toward armor, but your dwarves still aren't invincible. I've lost a couple dwarves in full adamantine armor to large groups of goblins.

They didn't actually die in the attack, but they were wounded and died a couple days later.

Oh, and I had one dwarf in adamantine armor go berserk when his friend died. The berserk, axe-wielding maniac proceeded to kill more civilians than all 9 goblin ambushes and 6 forgotten beasts that I've weathered so far. So in a way, strong armor can be a problem as much as a benefit.

Battle axes are the easily the best weapon right now, BTW. There's no point in using anything else.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Axes, hammers and crossbows were always the standby. I used to toss in small groups of sword and spear dwarves, of course.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Neddie wrote:Axes, hammers and crossbows were always the standby. I used to toss in small groups of sword and spear dwarves, of course.
Crossbows have been made pretty useless in the current version. There are some serious serious accuracy issues.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”