[misc] Spring applied for GSoC 2009 - Page 2

[misc] Spring applied for GSoC 2009

Happenin' news on what is happening in the community. Content releases, new tutorials, other cool stuff.
Neddie
Community Lead

Re: Spring applied for GSoC 2009

Post by Neddie »

Why you would try to package Spring with a mod rather than a game is beyond me.

Kernel Panic and 1944 are available with all necessary to play, including maps, and this has greatly increased our download counts.

But yes, your criticisms are valid.
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

good luck for next year guys.
Spring is among the best games i've ever played, probably at #1, it is certainly the game i've sticked to for the most time in my life (been playing since BA 6.31, i apologize to CA users for this way of measuring time but it's the only thing i can measudre it by xD)
i've seen it improve a lot this past year or so, and IMO it deserves to be in GSoC.
i wish i could contribute, but my C++ coding skills are rusty and never really good anyway (my best work was making a VERY CRAPPY tetris clone for my science fair last year), i once tried to contribute to openlierox but gave up when i saw the code, and i'm pretty sure it's nowhere near the complexity of spring. i wish i could find some way of practicing my coding, considering that i suck and i'm lazy so i'd probably stop working in any projects i'd participate in where the only motivator is my will within a week xD
anyways, good luck to you guys, i'll check the code out just to gape at it and close the browser before i see more than a hundred lines of code
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

Soul wrote:Isn't wesnoth crap? Atleast compared to Spring.
Want to help Spring's image? This kind of comment should be deleted on sight and the user banned for a week.
The Google people are not idiots and are able to browse the forums a bit to see what the overall community spirit is.

Good luck for next year, I really hope Spring enters the GSoC.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I think most people would prefer to keep Spring's spirit pretty free as it is at the moment where there's not a strict policy enforcement on any kind of non-polite chatter.

As soon as you start to separate the dev team from the community, a lot is lost.
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

JAZCASH wrote:I think most people would prefer to keep Spring's spirit pretty free as it is at the moment where there's not a strict policy enforcement on any kind of non-polite chatter.

As soon as you start to separate the dev team from the community, a lot is lost.
Perhaps. Or maybe many more people (devs and users) would join the community if it was more friendly, both internally and toward other open-source projects: a few people lost because of the stricter policy, many more gained. And Spring gains a better image, as mentioned above.
Case in point: I love the Spring project and I followed it from its early days, but these forums are not a place I like to hang out in (was better when the SYs were around), since I don't enjoy flame wars, circular discussions and general bitchin'. So I exercise my programming skills in communities I can actually feel a part of.

As to what should be censored, hey, that can be discussed. But I don't think that people saying "lol Spring sucks", "lol we're all losers in this forum" have earned their staying on these boards. And dismissing a better-organised and managed community with 20 times the number of contributors as us with "don't they suck" is stupid and immature, and should not be tolerated.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Gabba wrote: Perhaps. Or maybe many more people (devs and users) would join the community if it was more friendly, both internally and toward other open-source projects: a few people lost because of the stricter policy, many more gained. And Spring gains a better image, as mentioned above.
Case in point: I love the Spring project and I followed it from its early days, but these forums are not a place I like to hang out in (was better when the SYs were around), since I don't enjoy flame wars, circular discussions and general bitchin'. So I exercise my programming skills in communities I can actually feel a part of.

As to what should be censored, hey, that can be discussed. But I don't think that people saying "lol Spring sucks", "lol we're all losers in this forum" have earned their staying on these boards. And dismissing a better-organised and managed community with 20 times the number of contributors as us with "don't they suck" is stupid and immature, and should not be tolerated.
The only people that would join this community if it were more mature and serious are the kind of developers that develop as their job.

Spring is a hobby project and in being that, it is a lot more casual and laidback and less about "*Whip Whip* Work harder slave scums or your life is in danger".
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

JAZCASH wrote: The only people that would join this community if it were more mature and serious are the kind of developers that develop as their job.

Spring is a hobby project and in being that, it is a lot more casual and laidback and less about "*Whip Whip* Work harder slave scums or your life is in danger".
MORE RULES
^
|
+ Dead Serious and Boring
+
+
+
+
+
+ Fun collective project, balances rules and free expression
+
+
+ <--- Spring
+
+
+ Chaotic mess: not fun except for pervert weirdos, no meaning or goals
|
^
LESS RULES

btw, I program for fun.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

I have to pretty much agree with Gabba.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I also agree with his diagram, that doesn't make my points wrong though.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Btw, if you want to enforce censorship on the forum, at least have some clear rules about it. Don't just tell moderators to be stricter. Write down a comprehensive ruleset of what can and can't be said. And be precise! "flame" and "troll" are subjective qualifiers.

Otherwise it'll all boil down on whether you're friend with mods or not.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

We should be given contribution points. Every time a member contributes, they get one contribution point. For every contribution point they have, they are allowed to make a troll post. No contribution points = no troll posts resulting in a warning, ban etc.

:mrgreen:
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

JAZCASH wrote:We should be given contribution points. Every time a member contributes, they get one contribution point. For every contribution point they have, they are allowed to make a troll post. No contribution points = no troll posts resulting in a warning, ban etc.

:mrgreen:
I think that's pretty close to the way it is right now. Except replace "a troll post" with "non stop trolling."
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

zwzsg wrote:Btw, if you want to enforce censorship on the forum, at least have some clear rules about it. Don't just tell moderators to be stricter. Write down a comprehensive ruleset of what can and can't be said. And be precise! "flame" and "troll" are subjective qualifiers.

Otherwise it'll all boil down on whether you're friend with mods or not.
Precision gives rise to loopholes, loopholes give rise to further rules, too many rules means nobody reads them, if nobody reads them than enforcement becomes less legitimate...

We are going to enforce with increasing consistency, as we have over the past year, and I might work out some more stringent rules, but at the end of the day the best defense against problem users is flexibility.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I have been on another forum lately that supports a huge modding community for a thriving commercial game. They have a pretty simple policy; they ban people who aren't nice. They explain it in more detail, but that's pretty much what their rules say.

People there are very polite and helpful, and new people show up daily to learn how to make cool new mods.

About the only downside is that... hmm... there really isn't a downside to not having trolls, frankly.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Argh wrote:I have been on another forum lately that supports a huge modding community for a thriving commercial game. They have a pretty simple policy; they ban people who aren't nice. They explain it in more detail, but that's pretty much what their rules say.

People there are very polite and helpful, and new people show up daily to learn how to make cool new mods.

About the only downside is that... hmm... there really isn't a downside to not having trolls, frankly.
Our trolls seem to make content...
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Neddie wrote:Precision gives rise to loopholes, loopholes give rise to further rules, too many rules means nobody reads them, if nobody reads them than enforcement becomes less legitimate...
Imprecision gives rise to arbitrary judgement, leads to inequality, leads to resent, leads to insurrection or fleeing.
Neddie wrote:too many rules means nobody reads them
Nobody is supposed to ignore the law. Actually, it doesn't matter if everybody reads them or not. What matters, is that everybody can check the condamnation are issued because a written law was broken, and not because of personal feelings.
Argh wrote:I have been on another forum lately that supports a huge modding community for a thriving commercial game.
Why can't you name the game and link to the forum?
Argh

Post by Argh »

I will talk about it later, when I'm done with what I'm doing there.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Jazcash wrote:
Our trolls seem to make content...
That, fundamentally, is the problem. Smoth, for example, probably would've been banned from any respectable forum for losing his temper over and over again, and we might not have GRTS or his many open contributions.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Argh wrote:I will talk about it later, when I'm done with what I'm doing there.
Do not talk. Post game name + forum link.
Argh

Post by Argh »

That is what I meant.

Return to “Community Blog”