Request: Hosting LAN/internet mixed game

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

Decimator

Post by Decimator »

It would be nice to be able to host an internet game from behind a NAT that someone on my LAN could also join. Currently this does not appear to be possible. This would have been very helpful when I was trying to show my brother how to play. I would assume you'd just need a way to sense if they are on the same LAN as you and connect to their internal IP instead.
PauloMorfeo

Re: Request: Hosting LAN/internet mixed game

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Decimator wrote:It would be nice to be able to host an internet game from behind a NAT that someone on my LAN could also join. ...
I don't think i quite understand what you want because, of what i understood, it is already possible.

I have a router connected to the Internet through the modem sharing Internet to the remaining (also known as NATing). I have 2 Springable PCs. We play on both, both joining games at same time, one of the PCs hosting and the other joining that same game, etc. Can't think of anything more possible...

One of my PT mates is coming right now with it's PC to my home so we have a LAN party of Spring with my 2 PC + his.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

So people on your lan can join a game you hosted, and people outside your lan can join the same game?
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

i think youll have to host on the internet, and just join in the normal fashion. otherwise there is always hamachi :)
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Decimator wrote:So people on your lan can join a game you hosted, and people outside your lan can join the same game?
Yes! Every possible combination i can think of, right now.
It ain't working for you?
mongus

Post by mongus »

If you have 2 nics, and one is on the internet, and the other in a lan..
it can be done, but im not sure how exaclty.

-as both interfaces connect to the same pc, it could be so.. all incomming packets in the lan, aimed to that port (the server seems to hear on port 8200), and all incoming packets comming from the other interface, connected to internet, should end into the same application... altougth.. not sure.. most likelly this doesnt happen...

-if you connect to internet using nat, and that interface is in the same network as the other clients, it should be easy, as all that they have to do is write your ip as the host, as in a normal LAN game.

They should be able to join and play np.

For Internet players to be able to join, you should forward the "service" port (8200) to your internal ip (something like 192.168.1.x), that in the NAT router.

Also, you must know your public ip, that is the internet ip of your router, and the players joining from the internet should write that ip as the host.

edit: i was thinking of you running the the lobby server.

if you are using the official server its even easier :)

Return to “Ingame Community”