Mac OS X Snow Leopard test release

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

Belmakor

Post by Belmakor »

I am in the process of trying to put together a general release of Spring 0.81.1.3 (i.e. latest version) for Snow Leopard. This is an intel-only release, sorry!
Download here
I have included brief install instructions within the zip file.

Sorry, no lobby client (yet!). But, it should otherwise be fully self-contained (i.e. no other downloads needed to run).

Please test and let me know how it works for you!
Neddie
Community Lead

Re: Mac OS X Snow Leopard test release

Post by Neddie »

Let me just get Snow Leopard on my EEE and I'll do that right afterwards.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

testing on a hackintosh doesnt give useful reliable results, testing on a macbook pro or an iMac with unmodified OS X however...

Ill see what happens on mine, Im somewhat busy though so not sure when I can
mjb91

Post by mjb91 »

Runs fine under 10.6.1 on a unibody MBP. Haven't tested multiplayer or anything though.

Definitely needs a more user friendly install process and such, considering as current it's impossible without the terminal. Is there a particular reason that the data folder has to be ~/.spring? If there is, your installer perhaps should make a more accessible alias to that location.

Are there mac compatible lobby clients available? A downloader? Settings dialog?

Awesome work.
Belmakor

Post by Belmakor »

mjb91 wrote:Runs fine under 10.6.1 on a unibody MBP. Haven't tested multiplayer or anything though.

Definitely needs a more user friendly install process and such, considering as current it's impossible without the terminal. Is there a particular reason that the data folder has to be ~/.spring? If there is, your installer perhaps should make a more accessible alias to that location.

Are there mac compatible lobby clients available? A downloader? Settings dialog?

Awesome work.
Cool, thanks for the feedback. Yes I agree it needs a more user friendly install process - I'm not yet targeting end users. I wanted to make sure that the actual package itself runs fine - that all the dependencies are properly included, etc.

My ultimate goal, if possible, is just to have a single .dmg that gives you a single .app bundle that you drag'n'drop into your applications folder, and double-click to run a lobby client, and it all just works.

Ideally all support files will go in ~/Library/Application Support/SpringRTS rather than in ~/.spring. However, I'm hoping I can avoid manual copying of maps/mods altogether if they auto-download to the right places through the lobby client.

Speaking of lobby clients, both SpringLobby and QT Lobby have been reported to work on Mac OS X. Some months ago I was personally able to build an earlier version of QT Lobby and run it, but wasn't able to successfully make it work with Spring. Others, however, have reportedly done so (see other Mac OS X threads - e.g. adso's efforts).

Most of all, I hope to finally break the "Mac curse" which is that people pop up from time to time, attempt a Mac port of Spring, get 99% of the way there, and then disappear again with their efforts essentially lost.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

Belmakor wrote:Most of all, I hope to finally break the "Mac curse" which is that people pop up from time to time, attempt a Mac port of Spring, get 99% of the way there, and then disappear again with their efforts essentially lost.
yes please, it's getting really really old constantly helping new people thru most of the stuff that then disappear
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Belmakor wrote:
mjb91 wrote:Runs fine under 10.6.1 on a unibody MBP. Haven't tested multiplayer or anything though.

Awesome work.
Cool, thanks for the feedback. Yes I agree it needs a more user friendly install process - I'm not yet targeting end users. I wanted to make sure that the actual package itself runs fine - that all the dependencies are properly included, etc.

My ultimate goal, if possible, is just to have a single .dmg that gives you a single .app bundle that you drag'n'drop into your applications folder, and double-click to run a lobby client, and it all just works.

Ideally all support files will go in ~/Library/Application Support/SpringRTS rather than in ~/.spring. However, I'm hoping I can avoid manual copying of maps/mods altogether if they auto-download to the right places through the lobby client.

Speaking of lobby clients, both SpringLobby and QT Lobby have been reported to work on Mac OS X. Some months ago I was personally able to build an earlier version of QT Lobby and run it, but wasn't able to successfully make it work with Spring. Others, however, have reportedly done so (see other Mac OS X threads - e.g. adso's efforts).

Most of all, I hope to finally break the "Mac curse" which is that people pop up from time to time, attempt a Mac port of Spring, get 99% of the way there, and then disappear again with their efforts essentially lost.
NOOOOOO mentioning the Spring curses invokes them!!!
Belmakor

Post by Belmakor »

SinbadEV wrote: NOOOOOO mentioning the Spring curses invokes them!!!
Look at my forum join date - I've been around for a while so am not likely to suddenly disa
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

QTLobby is unmaintained (since a few months, 2 or 3) and currently it does not look like anyone is going to maintain it further. It may still run and work ok, but without maintainence.. spring changes too much for this to work fine for prolonged time. short: focus on SpringLobby only.

good luck! :-)
jivvz

Post by jivvz »

i didnt get it to work. when i tried running spring.app it gave me something like "the program can't be opened because it lacks support on this type of mac". i wasnt really sure where to put .spring but i tried both in my users folder and in the root. ill be glad to help though!

im running 1.6.2 on a MBP 2.16 ghz intel core duo mac.
Belmakor

Post by Belmakor »

jivvz wrote:i didnt get it to work. when i tried running spring.app it gave me something like "the program can't be opened because it lacks support on this type of mac". i wasnt really sure where to put .spring but i tried both in my users folder and in the root. ill be glad to help though!

im running 1.6.2 on a MBP 2.16 ghz intel core duo mac.
What happens if you run it from the terminal? i.e. open up a terminal and type the following (or equivalent for where you installed Spring to):

Code: Select all

/Applications/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/spring
If it produces any log output in the terminal, can you copy/paste it here?
Belmakor

Post by Belmakor »

hoijui wrote:QTLobby is unmaintained (since a few months, 2 or 3) and currently it does not look like anyone is going to maintain it further. It may still run and work ok, but without maintainence.. spring changes too much for this to work fine for prolonged time. short: focus on SpringLobby only.

good luck! :-)
Oh, that's a shame. Last time I looked at QTLobby it ran much nicer on Mac than SpringLobby did. Why was development on it abandoned?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

there was only one dev really, and he left spring; do not know the details... real life issues, no more interest.. something.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

What is QTLobby written in/how difficult is maintenance?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

With the QT framework (C++). Good IDE, qtlobby has clean, tight, if mildly under commented codebase.
Most features it currently supports are enough for a proper lobby, all it needs is someone to keep it working.
yokosou

Post by yokosou »

I'm sorry that I couldn't come here recently and made the curse worse. It was too tough for me to finish a mac port. I tested the binary for a few minutes on my iMac and it seemed to work properly.

When I tried to compile spring on Mac, I made a few changes to place some data inside the application bundle and to place "maps" and "mods" in the same directory as the bundle. I also modified CMakeList.txt to make the bundle on mac with cmake. I fixed these changes for the new version and pushed to my "0.81.1.3-mac" branch on github. This might help you a bit.
here is the URL : http://github.com/yokosou/spring/tree/0.81.1.3-mac

i didnt get it to work. when i tried running spring.app it gave me something like "the program can't be opened because it lacks support on this type of mac".
Maybe this is because the binary is 64-bit executable and your mac doesn't support it.
Belmakor

Post by Belmakor »

yokosou wrote:I'm sorry that I couldn't come here recently and made the curse worse. It was too tough for me to finish a mac port. I tested the binary for a few minutes on my iMac and it seemed to work properly.

When I tried to compile spring on Mac, I made a few changes to place some data inside the application bundle and to place "maps" and "mods" in the same directory as the bundle. I also modified CMakeList.txt to make the bundle on mac with cmake. I fixed these changes for the new version and pushed to my "0.81.1.3-mac" branch on github. This might help you a bit.
here is the URL : http://github.com/yokosou/spring/tree/0.81.1.3-mac
Thanks! I'll take a look sometime soon.
yokosou wrote:
i didnt get it to work. when i tried running spring.app it gave me something like "the program can't be opened because it lacks support on this type of mac".
Maybe this is because the binary is 64-bit executable and your mac doesn't support it.
Doesn't a core duo have 64-bit support?
jivvz

Post by jivvz »

Belmakor wrote: What happens if you run it from the terminal? i.e. open up a terminal and type the following (or equivalent for where you installed Spring to):

Code: Select all

/Applications/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/spring
If it produces any log output in the terminal, can you copy/paste it here?
c-d792e255:~ simp$ /Applications/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/spring
-bash: /Applications/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/spring: Bad CPU type in executable

:((
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

Core Duo is 32bit
Core Duo 2 is 64bit
Belmakor

Post by Belmakor »

jivvz wrote: c-d792e255:~ simp$ /Applications/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/spring
-bash: /Applications/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/spring: Bad CPU type in executable
:(
Ah, that would be it then. As hoijui pointed out, core duo is 32-bit. Spring was compiled as a 64-bit application.

Once I get a fully working 64-bit build going, I will look at putting out a 32-bit build as well.

Return to “Mac OS X”