Comm morph

Comm morph

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

babbles

Comm morph

Post by babbles »

This isn't a QQ Comm morph is OP or a Comm morph isn't OP keep it thread. It's a what to do with the morph as in what should it add weapon wise?

At the moment, 2nd morph, Arm gets Paralyser Core gets Epic Laser of Doom.

Although many think Core's is OP compared to Arm, I think the reverse, why? When there's an enemy Comm coming to bomb you, what would you rather have? Insta paralyse or insta kill? Yeah, I thought so. So do you guys reckon something different should be added instead of paralyser?

Secondly, self heal (3rd morph). Nor is considering getting rid of this. You don't need much for this morph and linked with the Commander autoheal improvement (Yes, I know IK) it does make it pretty powerful.

But the thing is, I only really go to Level 2 Morph, so I can get to Level 3. In reality, why have the Uber Laser when you have the D Gun? Except the economical/radar improvements is the 2nd Level really worth it if you don't get the 3rd Level Self Heal? Saying that it is very quick to heal...

And now, Satellites Commanders. Noruas wants to get rid of these because let's face it, they're useless. You either end up missing the enemy completly, firing at your own units or killing your own Commander when D Gunning an AK. Only really useful when underwater or you lack actual long range units, why have 3 raven shots when you can a urm, raven?

But what can we replace it with? Noruas wants shields or something for one side, what about Stealth? but that may be very OP I guess. In my opinion there should be something epic to get instead of Satellite, but I don't know what. Maybe allow it to build some advanced stuff? (Advanced radar, Jammer, Anti-Nuke, Fort Wall) as a start.

Finally, I dislike saying this, but I don't think the D Gun range should increase for Commanders when Morphing. Mainly because of Core, not so much a problem with Arm. But with Core, it makes it very easy to kill a storm as well as the fact you can still D Gun and live, quite easily as well.

Oh and, Merry Christmas everyone...
TheMightyOne

Re: Comm morph

Post by TheMightyOne »

what about the idea we had before? where you could choose different types of upgrades. a battle com, and sea com etc. maybe we should finally come up with some good ideas for this?

p.s. i thought about com upgrades that would actually benefit not just the com but all units. lets say if i go for the air upgrade my fighters would get flairs (its just random, what counts is the general idea). is something like that possible? would you like something like that?
FaerieWithBoots

Post by FaerieWithBoots »

Maybe make the commander a walking factory, like the BA combat engineer? So the commander can build peewees at the front line after the second upgrade.

Or replace the LazorOfDoomz with a long range weapon. Something like the Viper but less powerfull. And you would still have to aim it manually like the D-gun.

If we are talking about different type of comm upgrades, shouldn't we get rid of the experience requisites? That way we could make an EcoCom with would act like a fusion but without dgun (or something similar).
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

i think eco com is bad idea in general :/ it encourages porcing. you get eco without having to fight for territory. thats not how an rts should be played
Gota

Post by Gota »

The problem with several brenches of teching is that there are no changed models of the commander.
If you have say 3 branches with small upgrades in each.
Lets say it totals to about 15-20 upgrades overall.
There will be no visual representation of any of them...
It's already an issue with 5 morphs...
You will not be able to know what the enemy commander is capable of.
There will be no visual indication at all.

Aside for the lack of proper models of a changed commander I'm personally in favor of incremental and branched off upgrades.

In general the fact the commnader has a "all killing" dgun really prevents from doing all sorts of fun stuff...you cant give it more speed and you cant overload it with hp cause than he will just dgun the living crap out of everything.
If it didnt have a kill all dgun it would be much more flexible and all sorts of buffs could be added to him allowing a player to really customize the commander every game.

For a commander with a kill all dgun i suggest the following system:
Transformation instead of a Morphing.
the commander becomes different and gets buffs but also nerfs i.e. it becomes more specialized instead of just better.

For example.you start with a simple commander that has 3k hp a short ranged dgun a laser and building capabilities.
You have several transformations available to you.
1,sea commander.
Has torpedoes and walks faster underwater but slower above water.
2,AA commander.
It has heavy AA on him and has his build range increased(has a limited jetpack perhaps?) but has a shorter dgun and a weaker laser.
3,clocking,hit and run,commander.
It can cloak for a cost and his speed is increased but it has less hp(the amount od deduction obviously needs to be calibrated in light of the chosen e drain when clocking and declocking range to make the transformation balanced in comparison with the rest).
4,heavy support commander.has a shorter ranged dgun and is slower but has tons of hp and a longer ranged and tougher laser.

When the commander is in the initial basic form
transforming is cheap but after the first transformation each transformation is more expensive.
babbles

Post by babbles »

Thing is, change the Commander's apperance with morph = decoys aren't decoys, unless we make them able to look like different Comm types.
Gota

Post by Gota »

babbles wrote:Thing is, change the Commander's apperance with morph = decoys aren't decoys, unless we make them able to look like different Comm types.
that shouldn't be hard at all.
Problem is creating many com models with slight changes.
mongus

Post by mongus »

Visual differentiation could help measure balance.
babbles

Post by babbles »

how...?
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

so you see morphed com -> combomb :regret:
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

coms should get shields and shiny lups and other stuff like shields lazers boots hats capes nametags and lightsabers.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

is hte decoy also morphable? if not, it probably should be. maybe with the same morphtime, but little cost, so when your main com is morphed, and the enemy saw it alreday, you can still trick them with a decoy com.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

hoijui wrote:is hte decoy also morphable? if not, it probably should be. maybe with the same morphtime, but little cost, so when your main com is morphed, and the enemy saw it alreday, you can still trick them with a decoy com.
This.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

decoy comm can morph into spybot with capture beams (both kind like tractor beam from ufo (like aliens) and capture like super capture mode of REVENGE BA MOD 666 with lazer that make unit go agaisnt own team and work for you for LOW PRICE/WAGE and then give it hidden nuke mines (like minelayer bots that can deploy mines from cloak and shoot without die (like in nota))))))
babbles

Post by babbles »

morph into krogoth or morph into 100 fleas

gg
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

babbles wrote:morph into krogoth or morph into 100 fleas

gg
you mean mice?
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

visionell differences should be doable with lua stuff (think of the shield-name-tags in CA or the xmas-hats last year), that should be easy (i thought kloot done something like that), so we need just some ideas how they will look like and what we want.

i give a -1 (atmo) for tmos idea, that com-upgrade influences other units/buildings, coz it will be a "too fast and too big" change in a small time. i know in the past time i recommended a battle-com, eco-com, supporting-com,... but now, i would say land-, sea- and air com (sea has torpedo and air AA). furthermore i like the lvl3/4 idea of a shield com, could be cool.

also coz of the fact that my laptop is a pain in the ass atmo and i have to repair it somehow (its overheating), i cant play. but i have some ideas for some modells ill concentrate on (50% they will never be released :D )
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

use frozen fish and place it on heatsink. then at least if it ever crashes you will have dinner afterward.

Return to “XTA”