Fix that (balancing) - Page 4

Fix that (balancing)

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Gota

Re: Fix that (balancing)

Post by Gota »

I don't remember the changes XTA has undergone but surely Com morphs(a relatively recent change) has increased the advantages of microing the Commander.
(not saying its good or bad,just saying)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Vlaunch missiles have been known about for a long time, they're classic TA tactics. I don't consider that micromanagement, that's tactics.

Dancing a dominator around so that it can fire within range of arty without getting hit is micro, its a prime example of micro that is not necessary but is very much advantageous, the obv fix being send a couple of units and force a retreat.

Its a bit dismaying to see that in almost every games Ive specced or played in over the last year has centered around the usual commander unit swarm. Its fun to do, but not when your only choice when faced with it is the same class of tactics. More variety!!!!
babbles

Post by babbles »

AF wrote:Its a bit dismaying to see that in almost every games Ive specced or played in over the last year has centered around the usual commander unit swarm.
people send swarms with their commanders? pfft
pintle

Post by pintle »

Very few skilled players can integrate com morph with their early (or even mid) game. If you don't plan/execute it with a very tight economy you are substantially handicapped in production, and will rapidly find yourself encircled and unable to raid effectively. Yes morphed com push is extremely powerful, but it comes with substantial handicaps. You really do not see many morphed coms in 1v1.

I very rarely AA com push. I have been saying this in response to people bitching about slasher etc for years. I don't use AA com push in ~85% of my games, and I seem to do ok.

Bring as many autoskirm, autowobble, dgun aiming bots as you like AF. See how effective they actually are in comparison to a genuinely skilled player. I think you may be disappointed.

Regarding micro/macro balance, in the vast majority of large team games, I will execute a fairly committed rush (for example 4 flash being my initial build, and with the intel I gather from raiding, respond to their BO with relevant units of my own.

Generally, through micromanagement, I can manage to do a fair amount of damage with my rush, hampering their expansion. After those initial units have landed, the macro game dominates my attention to a far greater extent than unit micro or com push. If you can get a lead in the early game, and then sustain economic growth with minimal raiding on your opponents, you are predisposed to dominate the game. In larger games, macro can become significantly more important than micro, if for no other reason than the fact that landing the killing blow is that much harder.

I think speccing decent players 1v1ing in XTA and then complaining that "micromanagement is too important" is a very naive sentiment tbh.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Yes, normally arranged into a line or front
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

if i beat you with my superior micro you say "it's all about micro" but if i play vs babbs/janid/pintle/floris/ray etc. i'm not able to just outmicro them, their skills ARE GREATER THAN mine
Fixed the math.

Return to “XTA”