SM3 - Page 5

SM3

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: SM3

Post by smoth »

so other than shadows what issues are there?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

People using crappy hosts like zshare?

More seriously... I'll give it a try and see how it compares on my oobrputer. If the download ever starts.

~~~~

I haven't tried with shadows on yet, but with them off nothing's going wrong.

Well, that's odd. I get 490 fps with nothing selected, just a commander spawned. If I select my commander, I get 260 fps.

On an SM2 map (sherwood) I get 210 fps with nothing selected and 160 with my commander selected.

I'm not sure what the reason for the sudden decline is - possibly my GUI is to blame, I have a lot of lua installed atm.

Anyways, shouldn't the performance drop be similar on SM2 or SM3? In the same scenario on a similar-sized map, I lose ~24% of my FPS in SM2 and ~47% in SM3.
oliveoil

Post by oliveoil »

Hi,

I know of one more shadows issue I was even trying to chase down for some time. From certain camera angles the terrain shadows are ridiculously off (for instance spanning half of a map). Try to scroll out and mess with the angle a bit.

For a couple of weeks now I have been (and will be) without access to a decent computer so can't post screenshots. Will do it later though.
smoth

Post by smoth »

BUMP still has white shadows. system hangs etc....
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Neither problem is reproducable (by me). That unfortunately means neither is fixable (by me).

Being more specific about the conditions of these hangs ("when looking at the upper-left corner of map XYZ", "when viewing the terrain under extreme angles", etc) might also help, this sounds like a driver issue unless mine are somehow hiding both symptoms.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I can update my nvidia drivers yet again and see but I am running a 280gts I should be able to easily handle this map.

What I can tell you is on load there is an initial hang. it waits a bit then hangs again...

is there any kind of way to debug this sort of thing.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Are you using DDS for the files? If not, you really should, it was designed for that format.
smoth

Post by smoth »

you and dds.... really coming across as pushy...

I am not sure DDS texture is the issue. i will convert the textures to DDS if you tell me what version I need to use so I don't have to do this more than once. Not using a map of my own, this is forbs narrow valley btw.

Also side note: Almost done with my harbor features. they will be pd and since I am doing them in gundam scale I will upload the .wings so you can scale them as needed.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I'll go find that test map I made, see what it looks like. I am pretty sure I used DDS at the time, but I forget, it was over 2 years ago. You can test with that, if it's still working.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I will give it a shot if you upload it.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Here you go. I saw a lot of bugs related to tessellation of the map (ground scars, etc. aren't right, shadowmaps) and light behaves a little funny, but it was otherwise OK.
Attachments
SM3test.sdz
(3.02 MiB) Downloaded 30 times
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

A lot of forb's .sm3 have missing ;'s, can cause errors on loading.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

That's cause they changed the format a little and it broke all those old ones, and since no one can use them anyhow, what's the point in fixing them?
smoth

Post by smoth »

because some of us want to help the devs work out the kinks and get a working sm3.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Forboding Angel wrote:That's cause they changed the format a little and it broke all those old ones, and since no one can use them anyhow, what's the point in fixing them?
Format didn't change - parser got stricter.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Ahh, gotcha.

Smoth, if it doesn't properly support ati cards, then what's the point? I want sm3 as much if not more than the next guy, but I also want it to be able to be used by everyone as well.
smoth

Post by smoth »

well getting it working first is part of that.

I don't see any validity to the excuses.. if I have to buy an ati card to test spring with I will. I want this format.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

While I admire your resolve, I suppose I gave up on it years ago :-/
smoth

Post by smoth »

life is short, no time for giving up.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well, at this rate I'll die of old age before sm3 actually comes to fruition. Besides, in all technicality, I've done my bit. Made a few sm3 maps. They work fine for me, but apparently not for everyone else.

Return to “Engine”