Looping a sound in Spring

Discuss sound effects, game music, and the creation thereof.

Moderator: Moderators

Jay_sound

Post by Jay_sound »

Hello.

Say I have a flamethrow wav sound loop, is there there any script I can add which will, instead of starting the sound each time a projectile comes out, rather it will play it once only and loop the sound while the flame projectiles are coming out?
Argh

Re: Looping a sound in Spring

Post by Argh »

Loop, no- Spring does not support true endless looping atm. You can approximate it, but that's all.

Play sound only at the start of a burst, so that it doesn't stutter, yes. Use soundTrigger = true in the weaponDef, IIRC.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Yeah, flamethrowers have been an endless pain in the ass because of the non-looping sounds since the beginning of time.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

sounds.lua ?
Argh

Post by Argh »

...does not actually allow for endless loops. The "loop" instruction merely cuts it off, which is not the same thing as a true endless loop. Try testing it, you'll see what I mean.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I have the same problem but for Laser Beam type weapons. I already made a check that it will only play the sound once per every living projectile, but it still stutters. The reason is that the frequency of projectiles is so huge in comparison with sound length.

Any ideas? What can be done in sounds.lua?

Edit: I mean weapons such as Penetratror and Doomsday Machine...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

The only way I have found to make it work nicely are using short sounds without an obvious beginning or end, just quickfade the beginning and end of it.

Sucks, but it's about all we have.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

But I'm using the same sounds as the ones included in basecontent. I just play them manually from playsoundfile and then this happens. It doesn't happen if the sound is played by the engine. So that led me to believe that playsoundfile-items are not pre-cached.

Return to “Sound Effects & Music”