Air Raid V1.03 - Page 4

Air Raid V1.03

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

knorke

Re: Air Raid V1.02

Post by knorke »

weeeeeeeee i made a video of me flying around and blowing stuff up.
sadly youtube does not accept it?
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O2HJ4X8N
knorke

Post by knorke »

weeeeeeeee spam.
i played it in multiplayer now:
:shock:

but big problem: lag is really bad because it disturbs your controlls.
with a 200+ ms ping combined with the controlls i think that 95% of the worlds population would crash the plane in the first 10 seconds.
lagged mouse controll is the most evil thing ever!
(i only managed to rule so hard because i played BZflag before
with keys it might not be so bad maybe?

when all players are dead, the endgame screen should show up.
at the moment it only shows to the last player ingame if everybody else leaves.
its cool to see your killcount.
(me = red, yellow = xyz23 or similiar, who was host)

80% of the time in multiplayer the flak would just shoot wild and randomly in the air or elsewhere, even when no plane was near.

with some key i do not know i reduced the minimap to a small red button and could not resize it. probally a springfeature i dont know yet...?

plane from the outside: yeaaaaaaah!
ubermicro needed to photograph these fast, small things.
as a spec you should be able to select units/players so you can track them. if thats not possible because selecting must be disabled maybe its possible via lua, this cameralock thing comes to mind?

some slow flying targets in the air would be cool, like zeppelins or flying saucers.

oh, and in replays the planes just travel in a straight line until they crash.

oh oh oh and an idea to controll speed:
use only one button, if you push you go faster. do not push it and the plane slows down.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

xyz

Post by xyz »

There is another bug: Planes can fly under water

Question about the network engine in spring: is the client waiting for a server confirmation for each command that it wants to execute? If yes, then there's your problem for the big lag :-)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I think the flak and SAMs shooting at the air is an issue with Gaia being hostile to itself, no idea why that happens but apparently in a multiplayer game without a dedicated host it unallies Gaia with itself.

The endgame graph doesn't show because it has to be set to infinite or the game ends immediately if the players aren't on different alliances.

Replays not working would be a Spring bug, no replays work for me at all so I can't comment on that.

I can't do much about the lag because of the synced/unsynced architecture of Spring that isn't meant for direct control like this. I could make it show the plane's desired rotation in unsynced code instead of the actual unit but that would still have limitations.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

My plane keeps exploding 0 to 1 second after spawning. I tried many maps, even the flattest ones, I tried the three start pos and two game end condition, I tried alone and with Null AI, I must have tried like fifty times, and every time, the plane explode as soon or right after spawning.
  • Edit: The problem is that Air Raid is incompatible with TASClient. Works with SpringLobby single player though.
  • The Q,W to turn are not intuitive at all. Especially on my AZERTY keyboard. Add a least a line about them on the GUI.
  • The targets are too small. And I don't just mean too small. I mean brokenly microscopic.
  • The plane doesn't turn fast enough for the game to be fun, and also lack speed throttle.
  • Wasps outmanoeuver me easily :(
  • Gun Wings was much more fun!
Attachments
AirRaid_MicroTarget.jpg
Can only see models a split second when hedgehopping right on them.
(184.24 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Don't ask me what's causing those instant explosions (does it give you the "that wasn't very smart" line when you die? You get that when you trigger the ground collision code), no idea about Gaia units trying to shoot themselves in multiplayer either.

Q-W isn't intuitive but they aren't for turning, they control the rudder which is just used for minor corrections and not terribly useful (honestly you can fly the plane perfectly without ever touching the rudder). I know it's weird on an AZERTY layout but I want to use A-Z(Y) later on. Would be fixable with the widget controls.

Small targets are because of the scale, you are flying at mach 2 so a truck isn't going to look huge. I prefer having maps provide plenty of airspace to move in without the massive resource hit of huge maps in Spring. The wasps don't outmaneuver you, they're just slower so you overtake them. Adjustable speed is on my todo list so you'll be able to slow down and stay behind the wasp soon. If you want to hit them now use your superior speed to fly away from them, then turn around and let them play with your missiles. Hawks are much harder to deal with (to avoid their missiles make rapid direction changes) but that's on purpose.

Generally it's not gun wings, it's a completely different style of game. Striking ground targets is your primary source of score, hitting a wasp is a nice source of extra points but it's hard to use the chain bonus with them. Air Raid plays very differently when you actually chase that highscore, trying to rapidly find new targets to kill to keep the chain going and having to judge whether to strike a dangerous target first to reduce the risk or hit it later for big points. Don't get bogged down in dogfights.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

KDR_11k wrote:Q-W isn't intuitive but they aren't for turning, they control the rudder which is just used for minor corrections and not terribly useful (honestly you can fly the plane perfectly without ever touching the rudder). I know it's weird on an AZERTY layout but I want to use A-Z(Y) later on. Would be fixable with the widget controls.
With the mouse alone, I could roll and pitch, but not turn. Rudder was my only way to turn. How I am supposed to turn? Maybe once I find how to turn faster than with rudder, the gameplay won't feel so sluggish.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

It's a flight simulator, not X-wing. You bank to turn.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

zwzsg wrote:
KDR_11k wrote:Q-W isn't intuitive but they aren't for turning, they control the rudder which is just used for minor corrections and not terribly useful (honestly you can fly the plane perfectly without ever touching the rudder). I know it's weird on an AZERTY layout but I want to use A-Z(Y) later on. Would be fixable with the widget controls.
With the mouse alone, I could roll and pitch, but not turn. Rudder was my only way to turn. How I am supposed to turn? Maybe once I find how to turn faster than with rudder, the gameplay won't feel so sluggish.
Roll, then climb. You climb into whatever direction the top of your plane points.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

It's like some of you have never played a flight sim before <_<

(though I supposed it's not immediately obvious since the camera doesn't roll with the plane)
knorke

Post by knorke »

Roll, then climb. You climb into whatever direction the top of your plane points.
Using this you can turn 360┬░ in 3-4 seconds, thats very fast.
Wasps outmanoeuver me easily :(
After 2 days playing I can kill them with the gun quite well.
But I agree, the game is mainly about killing as many groundtargets as fast as possible.

I enabled features just to see what it is like, on some maps it look actually quite good.
Maps with rain & fog look good too.

Since its mainly a singleplayer game it would be good it it worked better when played with spring.exe directly: If you do not use the script "NullAI blabla.." it will crash.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Features look somewhat nice but they're out of scale and block bullets, the worst part is that their collision shapes tend to be larger than their models so what looks like a clear line of fire often isn't.
KingRaptor wrote:(though I supposed it's not immediately obvious since the camera doesn't roll with the plane)
Spring cameras apparently don't support rolling.
xyz

Post by xyz »

KDR_11k wrote:Spring cameras apparently don't support rolling.
I think that it does in the latest test-build. In that one you can control FPS camera with a joy-stick and you have the possibility of rolling it.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

KDR_11k wrote:Features look somewhat nice but they're out of scale and block bullets, the worst part is that their collision shapes tend to be larger than their models so what looks like a clear line of fire often isn't.
KingRaptor wrote:(though I supposed it's not immediately obvious since the camera doesn't roll with the plane)
Spring cameras apparently don't support rolling.
Collidefeature=0;
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Yeah but having huge rocks be irrelevant decoration just seems stupid.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

is there going to be an update on this with less difficult controls ?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Dunno, if I ever get the motivation together maybe.
srapop

Post by srapop »

air raid is great!

!bug?!
when i enabled specRun http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=23&p=332359 after gotten killed by a sam site,and then disabled it again,the plane flew again full reloaded and 100% health,but didnt react to key movements and was farther away.
it flew in "heaven"-no map was visible and no radar,just the map specific clouds.
i couldnt reproduce that yet.
version:1.02
map:Talus.smf
Script:CMDS 1000 res(was the first that worked :-) )

very looking forward to future development of this,its already big fun!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Most likely you watched the second player then.

Return to “Game Releases”