Buildbar/commandbar ideas - Page 2

Buildbar/commandbar ideas

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

Licho
Zero-K Developer

Re: Buildbar/commandbar ideas

Post by Licho »

resource bars should be top right imo.. since its more traditional place in RTS to be at top.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Licho wrote:resource bars should be top right imo.. since its more traditional place in RTS to be at top.
I'm thinking outside the box. The best time to look at them is when you're wanting to build, and all your commands are near left/bottom.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

bottom space could instead be used for chat console and minimap..
and top reserved only for thin data like resource bars..

With your layout space is not used uniformly..

Well there are lots of ideas .. i think its better to finish compoenents and then try various arrangements..

We will also need chili minimap thing.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I'm not completely happy with my layout just yet, but I like resource bars being near building options (I always wondered why spring puts them next to chat, I never need to see those two things together).

If you want chat at the bottom then I'd change my layout to again have resbars at top with buildoptions near it, and minimap somewhere else. Also the chat is hardest to make because the area where you type is near top, so we'd need a way to change that too.

Minimap is probably lowest priority as it works so well without any widget already.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Yes thats why i say text you type should appear in chili chat directly - take over "enter" and render typed text from lua.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Licho wrote:Yes thats why i say text you type should appear in chili chat directly - take over "enter" and render typed text from lua.
But is this possible? Never seen it done, even IceUI doesn't have it and IceUI has pretty much everything.

Edit: I just thought of a cool idea. Make a hotkey, like 'tab' (I know people use it for zoomout thing but something close) that instantly expands all your sidebars. Then hit it again to collapse them. That would be so convenient I am happy about it already.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Ahh thats pretty cool idea! I like it too!
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Okay!

So what to tackle first, buildmenu, facmenu, commandmenu?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

we already have facmenu .. just needs polishing..
build menu i say..

Return to “Zero-K”