CA Amphibs? What's going to happen with them? - Page 2

CA Amphibs? What's going to happen with them?

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

Pxtl

Re: CA Amphibs? What's going to happen with them?

Post by Pxtl »

I was only suggesting jumping on the hovers because of the problem of most maps *not* having slopes that would be accessible to vehicle-slope hovers. However, Sak pointed out, of course, that you can terraform a ramp if needed.
reivanen

Post by reivanen »

Jumping on amphibs would seem logical. A kind of boost period in engine power that increases the hovering height so it can enter from water to land over rough terrain.
Scikar

Post by Scikar »

They don't need a very big jump to cover most beaches. Half or even a third of the jump that the pyro has now would be enough to get hovers onto land on most maps without letting climb the steeper cliffs.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Thinking it over, I had a crazy idea for jumping hovers - altitude-limit based. It would have to be completely different logic from pyro-jumps, but follow me on this: hovers can only jump up to a fixed height above sea-level. So this jump can't be used to get up cliffs on DSD. Instead of being an arced jumps, their jumps would be a quick rise up to the max altitude, floating at the jump altitude, then a sudden drop when they arrive at the destination. So if you try to jump up a hill, you'll ram into the hill when the hill reaches max-hover-jump-elevation. And if you're above the maximum, you can't jump at all.

This would make hovers only jumpers when on lowlands or ocean or hopping up the shore.

CA is already altitude-aware when it comes to wind generators, this would just be a continuation of that trend.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Jumping tracks a parabolic arc and if it hits anything on the way, cant make the jump. The arc can be changed, so we could make a sort of 'LoS jump'. It requires new coding to allow them to not be able to 'LoS jump' DOWN a cliff (but this is fine IMO, why cant a bot just chose to fall over a cliff and take the impulse damage DOES sometimes irk me, i feel like i want a 'fall over' button which will apply a minor impulse burst on a unit and make it tumble down a hill.. OKAY THIS IS AN LOL DIGRESSION!). Buuuuuut... Charging up SSB shores with hordes of hovers straight out of the fac doing that? Nothx. Use moar ramp.

Line move jump helps with massed units, but if a lot of them 'cancel' if the height is too much or they dont have LoS (a rounded hill) or the distance is too far you're fucked again.

The other problem is that, currently, you can jump into inaccsible areas. This is okay and cool on pyros, because if you can wait for the cooldown you can even jump him through very hilly cliffs (yay) or deep bodies of water (muh) and since jump can be queued...

You can even jump pyros through the no-walk zones on Azure Rampart (SHHHHH). This may have to be fixed eventually, so everyone exploit it till we decide if its a problem or just a neat trick (but not until i get to rape det a few times in FFA).

Still, this could be a good way to make hovers 'really different' and the only way to really tell how they handle is to try it. May be worth investigating.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Well, on the topic of jumping bugs, I once saw enemy Pyros jump into my turrets - nothing seemed willing to fire on them when they were stuck inside friendly units.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Pxtl wrote:Well, on the topic of jumping bugs, I once saw enemy Pyros jump into my turrets - nothing seemed willing to fire on them when they were stuck inside friendly units.
The middle of their hitsphere was inside the llt hitsphere. This is one of the reasons for giving those thin turrets hitboxes but apparently Spring uses hitboxes for some things and the default sphere for others.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

The jump command is not supposed to work if you issue it on a spot where the unit can't stand.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i watched a game the other day where maackey used hovers on comet catcher and pushed right through someone...

IMO (and im a CA nab, so dont take it too seriously) it would be nice to have a unified hover/amphib lab... both fill a similar role, helping when you need to move from the land to the sea, or the sea to the land...

both factions should have something like the gimp, he's hella useful.

one thing that actually makes going hovercraft viable in BA is to use the hover rockets; great kite unit especially when attacking a line of porc; it would be nice to see CA using this aspect... (haven't used hovers often in CA, so again, uneducated opinion)

i'm a big fan of scout hovercraft, it would be cool to have them with the movespeed of a jeffy, and 2x the hitpoints or something; would work well i think as a lategame raider against an undefended shore.

anyways. i saw sleepless is doing the arm hovers, but who is doing the core hovers? can it be me?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

CA has a unified hover/amphib lab. CA already has an Arm Gimp.

This creates a problem, actually, since hovers are invincible to torpedoes, and amphibs are invincible to surface-weapons when underwater... so it's impossible to properly defend against the hover/amphib lab.

That, and the hover/amphib lab is _dull_. No units have _any_ special abilities beyond hover/amphib.

Return to “Zero-K”