Screenshots

Screenshots

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

luckywaldo7

Screenshots

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Who cares about balance... the people want pictures!

I think MidKnight and maackey have managed to keep quite a bit of consistency with these models.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Re: Screenshots

Post by Saktoth »

Only with eachother, not with any of mr.D's >_>
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

needs more texture 2
maackey

Post by maackey »

Sak, it's incredibly hard to model after the design of Mr. D, because all the units he made so far are TANKS. (and the commander but that is a special unit anyway) How the hell am i supposed to keep in style of tanks with kbots?

I think the biggest difference is in the textures, which I am still learning how to do - I know my textures aren't that good and need improving, but honestly thats the only thing that really makes them "different". They are bots; they don't look like tanks, and shouldn't, so it doesn't really matter what "style" the models are -- its all in the texture anyway.

If it helps, I will try to continue on work with the logos walker factory as well to keep consistency, but its increasingly difficult for all the flak I'm getting about how they don't fit or are ugly (I can understand that some people are always going to call them ugly, and some are resistant to change, but its certainly not helping either.)
Raxxman

Post by Raxxman »

I did a fair bit of texturing in my spare time at uni

If you send me the UV maps I'll have a go tidying them up if you want
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Btw can should be bigger .. cost should roughly match size.. so can about 6 times bigger than thud :)
maackey

Post by maackey »

Yeah, wow, that would be great. I have the source .xcf gimp files in the modelbase; the uvmap lines should be in the topmost layer called lines.
here is the link to them: http://springrts.com/websvn/listing.php ... F#_maackey_

heavy, radar, mbot, storm and can are the other ones ready to be fixed, the rest aren't. The Can I recall has some large spots that get covered up, just ignore them :P
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

am I the only one who really detests the LLT model?
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

Nope, I don't like it either. It doesn't seem to fit in with the Logos aesthetic - It's too smooth and the texture seems too plain. But at least it's TA IP free!
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

yeah, logos shit should look hardcore, blocky, bulky... not smooth, rounded and like an alien toothbrush
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

normals are not set up properly and midknight just smothed it with soft edges
Gota

Post by Gota »

Licho wrote:Btw can should be bigger .. cost should roughly match size.. so can about 6 times bigger than thud :)
How big should the Krogoth be than ^^
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Well, remember that "bigger" can be by mass - models are 3D, and thus growing cubicly with mass. Now, the Saktoth costs 29,000, and the Glaive costs 65.

Cubed root of 65 is 4. Cubed root of 29,000 is 30. 30/4 is 7.5 - so the Saktoth should be 7.5 times wider, longer, and taller than the Glaive. See?

However, for the original ones, I agree that there's a sizing problem. The Jack needs to be bigger, and the Storm could be a little smaller. Right now the Storm and the Jack look to be of equal value.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Ooooh,thx :D
Raxxman

Post by Raxxman »

The problem with the storm was that it looked too much like the bandit when it was that small.

People were getting hammered by storms thinking they were raiders
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I prefer size (volume), HP and bulkiness to be related and not factor in cost (volume/bulkiness ~ HP). But that argument is elsewhere. We can look at cost here as well:

Bandit: 75 m, 250 HP

Storm: 100 m, 570 HP

Thud: 140 m, 1,500 HP

Outlaw: 250 m, 1,100 HP

Jack: 650 m, 5,000 HP

I would like units to look as tough as they are. If a bomb goes off and all the Bandits die but the Storms and others live, then another bomb goes off and all the Storms die but the Thuds live, then another few bombs go off and Thuds finally die but the Jacks are going strong, it's nice to see that the surviving units look like they are built stronger than others.

Maackey's stuff is good so far. Thud is bulkier than similarly sized storm, both still beefier than the mere 250 hp Bandit. Jack is a box, but still needs to look like it could take over 3x the abuse that Thud can (compare 5,000 to 1,500) so Jack could be upped in size a bit. This changes hitsphere and gamebalance as well, I know.

Compare to a bad example: Glaive's HP = 190. Jethro's HP = 550. Really? You wouldn't know by looking at them! Of course I am dismissed as a crazy person when I bring this up.
maackey

Post by maackey »

Just so nobody feels obligated to hit the dead horse some more, I am aware that the jack could be bigger. I haven't done so yet because I'm redoing the weapon (giving it dual spinning chainsaws instead of the spear). But if anyone wants to change it in the meantime, its 2 clicks away in upspring if its really a problem.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

CarRepairer wrote:Compare to a bad example: Glaive's HP = 190. Jethro's HP = 550. Really? You wouldn't know by looking at them! Of course I am dismissed as a crazy person when I bring this up.
Well, a Glaive loses an arm and becomes useless. External vulnerabilities, thinner upper-body armour, weapons that need extensive tracking on an external mounting... I'm not surprised at all. You can quibble about the extremity of the difference but looking at the design and remembering my design I could easily see the Jethro doubling the Glaive's health given the present sizing.
Raxxman

Post by Raxxman »

Glavies don't loose arms though, they blow up.

The Jethro does give the impression of being tougher than it looks, I was playing a game (got desynced so it went to pot) but I got bandits into a bunch of them and it's suprising how slow they were in taking them out.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

neddiedrow wrote:You can quibble about the extremity of the difference but looking at the design and remembering my design I could easily see the Jethro doubling the Glaive's health given the present sizing.
Not to quibble, but it's actually closer to triple the Glaive's health. And the Glaive isn't exactly some scrawny little wussy-looking bot like the Zipper - it's small, but it's built like a body-builder.

Return to “Zero-K”