A Tournament! - Page 3

A Tournament!

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

Is a tournament a good idea?

Poll ended at 09 Oct 2005, 23:16

Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes: 23

DStruct

Post by DStruct »

looks good to me 8)

i have a few ideas for it..

-there should be 4 backup slots or so.. in case people cant make it.
-if you're a no show or 15 minutes late then you forfeit and a backup gets your spot
-to aid setting up the tournament get eveyones time zones and make a table of availabillity.
-do double elimination? make a losers circuit, so if you lose twice your out.. might make it too complicated...

just my 2cents
EnlightenedOne

Subsitutes

Post by EnlightenedOne »

Substituitons sound like a good idea, as for double elimination to complicated, Table of availability, well i have some of the times some people have mentioned they can play i will aim to do this on weekends and at hours to suit the players im an insomniac i can do any hours :P

If your over 10 minutes late you will be forfeited, we cant wait around an extra 5 :P, that is unless the players and hosts dont mind waiting a tad longer. The dates obviously arnt set yet but im starting to get some concepts down for my plan. Thanks for your input!
PauloMorfeo

Re: 27 Players on the wall

Post by PauloMorfeo »

EnlightenedOne wrote:...
Ive created a log, ...

Name = PT_Paulada
Map = GreenHaven
Doh, GreenHaven!? I don't play well at all in it. Never did. Ever since the oTA times (GreenHaven, Plains and Passes, Painted Desert...) and i never managed to invert that tendency nor even figure out why i'm such a poor player in those...

But seriously, i will not exclude it from a possible map to use just because i'm not good at it (i might learn something).

Of course there are maps i will definetly not play, like CPIA, DD, Shore to Shore, but i'm not going to list them all.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

A serious issue was discussed at the lobby. The rules of the tournament. Mostly because of the possibilities of doing commander bombing.

- I think everyone agrees that if comm bomb becomes a standard tactic throughout the tournament, it will not be a good tournament.
- I think that the possibility of comm bombing varies greatly on the map and we better decide the map to use before going further . I'm assuming all games will be on the same map(i skimmed most of this thread so it may have been discussed before)!?
- I think that if the map to use is moderatly small, D-Gun limited to start position should be seriously considered.
- All rules must be clearly defined. Nothing like «no early comm bombs».
- All rules must be known, at least, some time before the tournament. This should be set as soon as possible because it may lead to lengthy discussions.
WeaZ

Post by WeaZ »

Ok on mine... U must have read wrong and i know its alot getting a tournament together... but i said Ground Maps so pls take off water maps... and put ground maps... cause those are my best... lol water maps im mediocre....
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

PauloMorfeo wrote:A serious issue was discussed at the lobby. The rules of the tournament. Mostly because of the possibilities of doing commander bombing.

- I think everyone agrees that if comm bomb becomes a standard tactic throughout the tournament, it will not be a good tournament.
- I think that the possibility of comm bombing varies greatly on the map and we better decide the map to use before going further . I'm assuming all games will be on the same map(i skimmed most of this thread so it may have been discussed before)!?
- I think that if the map to use is moderatly small, D-Gun limited to start position should be seriously considered.
- All rules must be clearly defined. Nothing like «no early comm bombs».
- All rules must be known, at least, some time before the tournament. This should be set as soon as possible because it may lead to lengthy discussions.
Simple solution: commander dies, game ends.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

^ no!
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

um how about the rule: no fucking rules first to TOTALLY ANNIHILATE their enemy wins
Amen
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

yeay and use evil tactics :twisted: :twisted:
EnlightenedOne

Post by EnlightenedOne »

Ok first off weaz, the little - by Water maps means minus! :P -Water Maps = minus water maps... i probably should have made that more clear.

Everyone who has enetered this tournament should be aware that combombing is a flawwed tactic it HAS flaws itself and can be beaten. There will be no D-gun range. There will be metal forever. There will be 1000 in both metal and energy. If we restrict anything other than time outs we arnt playing true XTA we are playing a disabled version of the game. All sorts can happen! just base what your doing on who you fight. You cannot be the master of spring if you dont know that sometimes oyu have to fight dirty, well alot of it comes down to luck but well luck and skil will get you through to the finals. Commander may die and you may live afterwards. Most great games involve loosing your commander but coming back!

if your 10-15 minutes late for a round you can be disqualified depending on your opponents decision.

I know alot of you may disagree with these concepts but i hope it does not discourage you. Like XTA itself we must accept the balances between sides and the things we must face to play. Or you can wait for another tournament but i recommend you see how you do in this one.

There will be a refined number of maps used. There will always be a path accross land to your enemys base if there is water.

And betalord has said that the medal recieved to the winner will be dependant of how well the tournament takes off so i guess its gunna be a hit the button and see how large the explosion is type scenario for us.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

EnlightenedOne wrote:Ok first off weaz, the little - by Water maps means minus! :P -Water Maps = minus water maps... i probably should have made that more clear.

Everyone who has enetered this tournament should be aware that combombing is a flawwed tactic it HAS flaws itself and can be beaten. There will be no D-gun range. There will be metal forever. There will be 1000 in both metal and energy. If we restrict anything other than time outs we arnt playing true XTA we are playing a disabled version of the game. All sorts can happen! just base what your doing on who you fight. You cannot be the master of spring if you dont know that sometimes oyu have to fight dirty, well alot of it comes down to luck but well luck and skil will get you through to the finals. Commander may die and you may live afterwards. Most great games involve loosing your commander but coming back!

if your 10-15 minutes late for a round you can be disqualified depending on your opponents decision.

I know alot of you may disagree with these concepts but i hope it does not discourage you. Like XTA itself we must accept the balances between sides and the things we must face to play. Or you can wait for another tournament but i recommend you see how you do in this one.

There will be a refined number of maps used. There will always be a path accross land to your enemys base if there is water.

And betalord has said that the medal recieved to the winner will be dependant of how well the tournament takes off so i guess its gunna be a hit the button and see how large the explosion is type scenario for us.
You need to either use "game ends if comm dies" or the Dgun range limitation. Game ends if comm dies has been the standard compeditive environment for years, and the soul reason is that with it off the extreamly lame compeditive strategey of building a selp sufficient base and then walking your commander over to blow up all your opponents defence and contruction buildings happens alot (because it works too well). Fortuneately we have the creative, and in my opinion much more fun, option of limiting the commanders Dgun range to his start location, so he can't dgun rush his opponents. Of course comm bombs are still possible, but comm bombs don't take too much to counter (10 peewees out of Dgun range will rip a comm down in no time).
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

christ
com bomb can be countered by 6 samsons or less if u see a lone blip approaching on the radar, one HLT or pop-up with a handful of units does it too
although once someone (i think it was a kixxe) used a combination of sniper lvl2 kbots such as snipers, dominators, mavs etc with a radar and his com, that was ownage and kicked my ass pretty bad until i could fight back
DavetheBrave

Post by DavetheBrave »

yeah sure, but in the first minute are you going to have 6 sampsons? If someone goes aircraft, and then builds a transport and a tornado it is almost definetly a guaranteed win. He will probably be able to blow up both your factory and comm with his comm bomb, and then kill the rest off with the gunship.
This does not seem like a fair tactic to me.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

DavetheBrave wrote:yeah sure, but in the first minute are you going to have 6 sampsons? If someone goes aircraft, and then builds a transport and a tornado it is almost definetly a guaranteed win. He will probably be able to blow up both your factory and comm with his comm bomb, and then kill the rest off with the gunship.
you can have crashers/jethro up by then... Atlas take forever to build, and if you escaped with a const kbot or comm you are better off then he is, because const aircraft have a WAY slower build speed in the early game and aircraft all cost more then thier equivalent kbots or vehicals.
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Also, atlas CANT pick up moving units. I had a problem to pick up a moving advanced Consturktion K.bot! You do know how slow that units is, rigth?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Kixxe wrote:Also, atlas CANT pick up moving units. I had a problem to pick up a moving advanced Consturktion K.bot! You do know how slow that units is, rigth?
Advanced const kbots are one of the fastest units in XTA. I once made farks follow one accross the map on a build order and the avanced cont got there nearly twice as fast as the farks did.

I think they're acctually faster then ACVs.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

no...but guarding units move real slow, ahve a race between a necro and a adv con and the nevro wins easy
EnlightenedOne

EO

Post by EnlightenedOne »

im following this conversation with great deal of intrest, but your arguing over a spilt drink :P
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

SwiftSpear wrote:
Kixxe wrote:Also, atlas CANT pick up moving units. I had a problem to pick up a moving advanced Consturktion K.bot! You do know how slow that units is, rigth?
Advanced const kbots are one of the fastest units in XTA. I once made farks follow one accross the map on a build order and the avanced cont got there nearly twice as fast as the farks did.

I think they're acctually faster then ACVs.
I was playing Kurota... i should have mentioned it.

Anyway, i did some testest, and the atlas has troulbe with every unit it tryes to pick up. Could't pick up and zeus, and jammer bot or a jetro... no, wait, that was on metalheck, witch has modifier.... DAMNIT!

Oh well, back to testing.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

SwiftSpear wrote:
DavetheBrave wrote:yeah sure, but in the first minute are you going to have 6 sampsons? If someone goes aircraft, and then builds a transport and a tornado it is almost definetly a guaranteed win. He will probably be able to blow up both your factory and comm with his comm bomb, and then kill the rest off with the gunship.
you can have crashers/jethro up by then... Atlas take forever to build, and if you escaped with a const kbot or comm you are better off then he is, because const aircraft have a WAY slower build speed in the early game and aircraft all cost more then thier equivalent kbots or vehicals.
Either way, your crashers and jethros were killed in the comm bomb. A good comm bomb can take out the enemy's entire construction capacity and his commander if his commander and construction facility are in the same spot (which they should be usually). You're then left with whatever you've got handy.

TA was _designed_ with Commander Dies Game Ends in mind. Why else are there decoy commanders?

Imho, if the commader was going to be destroyable but the game allowed to continue, it should be an immbile building... with a superlong nanolathe and an annihilator turret. And no big explosion death. Only then would you be guaranteed that the commander would never be used offensively (which is the exact opposite of it's intended purpose).

Return to “Ingame Community”