IMPORTANT: development moves to git

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

We discussed it for a long time now, and because current svn server will be closed down in the long term, we decided that it is the right time to make the move.

New links and locations
[url=git://github.com/spring/spring.git]Public clone URL[/url]
Project source home (for browsing source etc.)
Commit newsfeed

New development organisation
To make development easier, we decided to give only a few person direct access do this repository:
  • kloot
  • imba
  • zerver
  • jk
  • hoijui
  • tobi
  • and me
Because I could not get in contact with everyone, if you think you should (not) be on this list, send me complain- or hatemails. In order to give you access, you need to create an account on github (free) where you give your name, email and ssh-key. If you did so, you can start commiting, branching, forking etc.
edit: you also need to tell me your username, so I can add you as a contributor

If you don't have access to the repo, you can still develop. All you need it is a public git repository. Clone the developmen repo, do your stuff, and then tell one of us to merge it. You ca use github for hosting your own repo, it also have a nice interface to inform us about your effort. Or if you don't like github, you can use any hosting service or you can host it yourself.

new repository organisation
I only moved the engine there. This does not include any stuff which used to live in Lobby/. As mentioned above, the svn server will be shut down sometimes so you should move your code somewhere else (not too soon, you don't need to rush anything). This also applies to MapConf, MapDesigner and Upspring.

In order to shrink the size of the repository, I needed to remove some big files and directories out of the history. This means that all the branches are lost. Most of them had been old and unmaintained, but caiinterface and gmltest had been actively used. hoijui said that it is no big deal for him to simply exporting a patch from svn and reapplying it to git, and hopefully it won't be any problem for the gml branch too.

Help
There are some good guides on how to use git here: http://github.com/guides/home
imbaczek

Re: IMPORTANT: development moves to git

Post by imbaczek »

git for windows: http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list

It may be necessary to turn off autocrlf, either globally or only for the repo:

Code: Select all

git config core.autocrlf false
Sticky please. Gratz for the effort.

IIRC zerver merged all of gmltest into trunk, so this one shouldn't be a problem.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

imbaczek wrote:git for windows: http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list

It may be necessary to turn off autocrlf, either globally or only for the repo:

Code: Select all

git config core.autocrlf false
Sticky please. Gratz for the effort.

IIRC zerver merged all of gmltest into trunk, so this one shouldn't be a problem.
Wouldn't 'input' be a lot better? I don't want to see all the full file diffs again I had sometime when using a repo on both Windows and Linux with no conversion on Windows at first.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

imbaczek wrote:IIRC zerver merged all of gmltest into trunk, so this one shouldn't be a problem.
That's right, gmltest is a clone of 77b5 with gradual gml fixes applied.

All of those fixes are also in trunk, except for the last one which was very small. I can move that to the git repository manually.

So the engine is already moved to git and we should start using it right now? Any ideas how buildserv will work with git?

Git is one strange choice of name imo. I know that in some parts of the US it has a negative meaning. Some kind of bad word.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

so lobbies and lobby server etc etc are no longer part of the project ?
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

re autocrlf: whatever works - I don't like those diffs, too. if input behaves better than false, then use that.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

I'm going to go ahead and update the wiki with these links, can someone close the old "Development Links" thread and maybe replace it with this info?

Edit: Never mind, I can't seem to touch http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Building ... ment_links with my PHPBB account. Someone else is going to have to fix it.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

would it be possible to convert the caiinterface branch to git (independently from the trunk git), preserving revision history, and later merge the two in git?
i guess this question can be simplifyed into:
can git merge branches, which have no common ancector?
I would have a guess that it is possible, does anyone know it? It would be the optimal solution in my eyes. If it is not possible, we will have to do a diff, as Auswaschbar suggested.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Satirik wrote:so lobbies and lobby server etc etc are no longer part of the project ?
They are no longer part of the repository. You can use the old svn repo for now, but we encourage you to search for a new host.

edit: yes, it should start using it as of now
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

zerver wrote: Git is one strange choice of name imo. I know that in some parts of the US it has a negative meaning. Some kind of bad word.
It's intentional. The joke is, Linus Torvalds is such an egoistical bastard that he names all his projects after himself. So, git...
http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/04/ ... ork_1.html
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Although I have been able to get it working, I must say the learning curve for SVN is a lot steeper than for GIT.

Commit and Push is a bit confusing. I used the Git GUI for that but it cannot do Pull so I end up using the Bash.
Is there a sequence of commands in the GUI that are equivalent to Pull?
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

pull is actually fetch && merge, nothing more. both are doable in the gui and sometimes it's better to fetch and investigate with gitk (visualize repository.)

also, you should get into a habit of rebasing branches you didn't share anywhere instead of merging into master, it's somewhat easier.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

http://www.ohloh.net/p/springrts/commits

this looks sad, update repo url?
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

ohloh is really bad at importing git repos tho, it fails every other time and you have to request manual intervention
(at least that was the situation when i last bothered to ask for manual update for the SL enlistment)
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Added the enlistment, we'll see how it goes.

Also left the SVN enlistment in there, for now I presume it can figure out one is the continuation of the other some way :-)
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Who said that SVN will be closed down? When its moved to new server you wont even notice anything!
It will be offline for some people for few hours until DNS updates thats it..
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Tobi wrote:I presume it can figure out one is the continuation of the other some way :-)
Ok, wrong assumption, it shows every commit twice now :-P

http://www.ohloh.net/p/springrts/commits?page=4
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

How are you arranging for people to commit? Does every dev have their own branch that they push to, with a master branch that a change is integrated into once it's verified? Or is there some other way?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

A selected number of people commit all to the same master branch.

Stuff from others is merged and pushed to that branch by one of those people.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

for developers with windows boxes (AF, this is you):

http://nathanj.github.com/gitguide/index.html

BTW "your favourite merge tool" could be e.g. tortoise merge, but I prefer kdiff3.

Return to “Engine”