Questions about resigning from game

Discussion between Spring developers.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

• Is complete selfdestruction cancelable? Should it be or should it not?
  • "Give everything to" may be suboptimal because each player should decide on his own if he want to take control of the team or not (and it is not given to a player who has his base on the other side of the map). Why not remove the this and make it possible to resign from a game and abandon the current team without exiting game so other players can take control of it?
  • When giving away everything, should luaRules->AllowResourceTransfer be ignored or respected?
  • Currently, units beeing built are not given away. This is bad because you won't become spectator when one of your factory is building something. Is there a reason why not to give them away?
I'm asking because I currently do something like this: http://spring.clan-sy.com/mantis/view.php?id=688
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: Questions about resigning from game

Post by KDR_11k »

I'm sure you mean AllowUnitTransfer. Should be respected IMO, the mod will probably assume no transfer is going to happen. Something the mod stops from being transferred may be something the receiving player isn't allowed to have (e.g. in Fibre I don't allow transferring Citadels because they break stuff if transferred). I'd consider it the duty of the mod maker to prevent a give everything from leaving any units behind (in Fibre the Citadel is destroyed when you do that).

The selfD should be cancellable at least by the mod, some things just shouldn't be destroyed (e.g. control points).

Overall I think it would be worthwile to allow turning yourself into a spectator without any giving or destroying.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

I do not see the point of implementing #2. If you want to
stop playing but still spec out a game, you tell your allies
and simply let them decide on who best to give your stuff
to. A resign-without-quit option would merely relocate the
time of that discussion, not prevent it.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

Units being built allow for parasitic behavior between allies; this should be a game option, just like com ends/continues IMHO.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

imbaczek wrote:Units being built allow for parasitic behavior between allies; this should be a game option, just like com ends/continues IMHO.
Would you please explain? I don't get it...
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

Guess was tired, because I can't explain what I was thinking about 8)
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Units under construction should be transferred, along with all orders. You should not be able to give units to enemies. I would be fine with getting rid of the give everything to option, as this would prevent noobs from giving their units to the wrong person. Also, usually the better players are more observant and hit .take faster, which is better for their team.
lurker

Post by lurker »

imbaczek wrote:Guess was tired, because I can't explain what I was thinking about 8)
Uhh, you meant that, for example, you could start a bertha and give all the cons working on it to an ally, leeching their resources to make it.

That or you went on some kind of insane tangent.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

In SimBase you can leech by making a construction near allied nanotowers so giving cons isn't THAT farfetched...

EDIT: Wait, doesn't giving a unit set it to wait automatically?
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

But when people push the give-everything-button they expect that everything is given and they become spectator after this. So what to do if everything is given away except 1 or 2 units beeing built? (Note: I'm only talking about giving away everything at gameEnd, not unit/ressource-sharing in mid-game)

Same problem exists with selfdestruction. Can AllowSelfDestruct (don't remind exact name) be ignored?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

They should become spectators anyway and the units should be treated as if they had left. After all a give everything won't work with limited units either.

I use canSelfDestruct to mark things that should never be destroyed because they are meant to be captured. If a player self-Ds all his self-Dable buildings the indestructible ones revert to Gaia, waiting for another player to grab them. They must never be removed from the game entirely.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

OK, I'm going to respect luaRules (for giving both units and resources) and canSelfD tags. Even if there are units left the player will become spectator afterwards.

Next question: Should selfdestruction and give-everything be ignored when Com-sharing? Would be a good idea in my opinion.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Auswaschbar wrote: Next question: Should selfdestruction and give-everything be ignored when Com-sharing? Would be a good idea in my opinion.
Seems reasonable to me, so long as when one comsharer drops it reverts to the normal behavior.

Return to “Dedicated Developer Discussion”