I'm willing to take over the Ubuntu Spring packages - Page 2

I'm willing to take over the Ubuntu Spring packages

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

kujeger

Post by kujeger »

CautionToTheWind wrote:
YokoZar wrote:
det wrote:Speaking of wine, today I found that wine 0.9.41 breaks TASClient.exe (0.9.40 worked).
Yes, this is a regression in Wine:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8948
Hello YokoZar and thank you for your contribution. I too use your wine packages, and since there's a new spring and you're here and all, i must ask: when can we expect a wine update that fixes the taspring windows lobby?

Best regards.
Wine is usually released weekly or bi-weekly, so probably then.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Packages work fine, linked to my windows maps and mods and works perfectly, all apart from getting grey maps, guess i'm gonna save up for a new pc...:(
semi

Post by semi »

Need to mention SpringLobby here also. We are going to provide debian packaking ourselves, and gentoo ebuilds are already provided. Status of project is that we still have some work to do before it can totally replace wine+tasclient for linux users though.
Last edited by semi on 20 Jul 2007, 23:37, edited 3 times in total.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

CautionToTheWind wrote:
YokoZar wrote:
det wrote:Speaking of wine, today I found that wine 0.9.41 breaks TASClient.exe (0.9.40 worked).
Yes, this is a regression in Wine:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8948
Hello YokoZar and thank you for your contribution. I too use your wine packages, and since there's a new spring and you're here and all, i must ask: when can we expect a wine update that fixes the taspring windows lobby?

Best regards.
Two weeks. In the meantime, use the old Wine version at: http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html

Wine is released bi-weekly, and the patch which broke TASclient has already been identified so it'll be fixed (or at least reversed) in the next release.
10053r

Post by 10053r »

I don't know if you came after seeing my post, yokozar (I spam all the linux games stories on digg with comments on spring), but welcome to the community and THANKS for stepping up!
CautionToTheWind

Post by CautionToTheWind »

It would be nice to get a package for spring_0.75b1+svn3977 like the windows exe that is used for hosting. Thank you.
CautionToTheWind

There is a spring datadir with a bunch of files (like the font file, lua user interface, etc) that i got for old versions and is not provided in these packages. When i point the new version at my old datadir, i get errors and luaui wont initialize. What am i doing wrong?
HAARP

Post by HAARP »

Hey Scott, it's nice to see someone like you making Spring packages! (not that I didn't like yours Tobi, it's just there was something missing for Joe Average to begin playing)
What distro does your packages depend upon? Will Edgy work, or do ppl need Feisty? What about Debian?

btw. I'm a heavy Wine user myself (AppDB maintainer and bug reporter)
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

CautionToTheWind wrote:There is a spring datadir with a bunch of files (like the font file, lua user interface, etc) that i got for old versions and is not provided in these packages. When i point the new version at my old datadir, i get errors and luaui wont initialize. What am i doing wrong?
Not all of the older LuaUI files are compatible with 0.75, there've been several changes to the Lua API that break a few things in scripts written for the previous release. You can get updated versions from the Windows installer or the SVN repository, though (just replace the entire LuaUI/ dir).
det

Post by det »

I have created packages for 0.75b2 using the debian/ dir from YokoZar's packages. You may find them here.
fastfox

Post by fastfox »

Would it be possible to add some maps to the data package? Spring fails saying "Couldn't find any map files". Probably at least one mod is also needed in the package.

Keep up the good work!!! :-)
semi

Post by semi »

Instead of adding one mod and one map to spring-data, perhaps just depend on virtuals like spring-map and spring-mod which can be provided by some true map and mod.
chlue

Post by chlue »

There is a wishlist report for an Debian package open listet as: "430 days in preparation" here.

Being able to download an inofficial deb from some homepage is nice, but honesty, who really neeeds this? Installing a package needs root access, so its a serious threat to the security of the system. I myself usually only install packages from the official reprository. Additionall a lot of people won't find them, if they are only avaible on some homepage (you need to know what spring is, want to try it and take the risk, compared to looking trough your favorite package manager and thinking "why not give it a try", if it is an official package).

So are there people interested and capable to create an official package? This would be huge step ahead. I have no problem downloading the source and compiling it for myself. this scons stuff is really easy to use, but I have no idea what to do, to create a valid package for debian.

The link is about 0.71b1. I think the problems mentioned in the thread are sorted out allready. A working lobby is still problematic, but it should be possible to create GPL-compatible packages for
- engine
- ais
- lan server
- maps
- mods (nanoblobs, cvc, ee?,...)

Basically this should be enough to attrac a lot of new players and make it easy for current players to get a basic working system.
CautionToTheWind

The problem with official packages is update frequency. Being a version behind just won't cut it when the master server refuses the connection.

In my opinion the existing debs are very close to a perfect solution. If we could get our own repository, so that i dont even have to manually download the debs, that would be perfect. Later we could put a linux lobby in those repos too.

The question of trust is an interesting one, but you must think it trough. If you don't trust the current volunteer package maintainer, compile your own spring. If you don't trust spring code, don't play spring. To think that "official repository" equals security is naive. Official repositories can and have been hacked, and don't think anyone will be reading each line of spring source looking for Tobi's hidden backdoor.
CautionToTheWind

Also it should be possible to produce a spring installer that does not require root and installs everything to the user's home. But that can't be a .deb, it would have to be a custom installer.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

@chlue
We do like to have official distribution packages, although the upgrade and support part will still remain a problem to be solved.
chlue

Post by chlue »

CautionToTheWind wrote:The problem with official packages is update frequency. Being a version behind just won't cut it when the master server refuses the connection.
I don't think this is a real problem. Debian stable is out of question, but unstable can be updated quiet fast and if everything goes right a normal package migrates to debian testing after 10 days. This should not be a big problem (most unstable packages work with testing anyway). I don't how the (U,K,...)buntu stuff works. Maybee its a bit more complicated there.
CautionToTheWind wrote:The question of trust is an interesting one, but you must think it trough. If you don't trust the current volunteer package maintainer, compile your own spring. If you don't trust spring code, don't play spring. To think that "official repository" equals security is naive. Official repositories can and have been hacked, and don't think anyone will be reading each line of spring source looking for Tobi's hidden backdoor.
Maybee I didn't made my position clear. My concern is not only about hacking. This is probably the least critical point about an open source game.
There are a lot of additionall things:
- are rights set right? (For a bad example look at this link: http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/18/0319203)
- can I be sure it will not overwrite/delete critical parts of my system (when I add and when I remove it)?
- will it put files in sane directories?

There is surely no way to be sure that everything is allright, but if a package follow an offical guideline the change is much higher.

The addtional big advantage is the fact that it will attract new players.
CautionToTheWind

chlue wrote: Maybee I didn't made my position clear. My concern is not only about hacking. This is probably the least critical point about an open source game.
There are a lot of additionall things:
- are rights set right? (For a bad example look at this link: http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/18/0319203)
- can I be sure it will not overwrite/delete critical parts of my system (when I add and when I remove it)?
- will it put files in sane directories?
I understand your concerns. I suggest you analize the already-contributed packages for those issues you point out. These packages have the advantage that they already exist and have an experienced mantainer. Also the 10 day delay you suggest (a very best case scenario in my limited experience) is totally unaceptable for regular players, as it would mean 10 days without playing, waiting for debian! It would also mean that linux bugs would surface with a delay. Who uses debian on a desktop/game machine anyway?
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

A way to "solve" it is to work closely with the distributions as in integrating the distribution packaging process inside the Spring project.
That way with each Spring release we release the debs/rpms that would also go into the distributions. It would not matter if they download a package from this site or wait x days/months for the distribution to release the same file.
semi

Post by semi »

0.74b3 could be installed to debian like this:

Code: Select all

echo "deb http://www.osrts.info/~tvo/deb etch spring" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
aptitude update
aptitude install spring spring-data
Will you guys who made current .debs please talk to Tobi and upload the packages to his apt repository, so while you are in the process of solving the problem in the long run, people who are already using the previous debs could upgrade easily today?

Return to “Linux”