Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 6

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

lol :(

You need to learn to read between the lines... or I shouldn't talk so much crap.
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

I demand a private beta thingy for zpocks mod thingy by next week...!
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I know, but for a fifth texture, I don't feel its so bad :P

(Seriously, I am on my fifth texture)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

ImageImage Image Image
First attempt at a (partially :P) hand drawn texture... polycount is 294. First three have a 512x512 map put on, last one got a 256x256 map.
knorke

Post by knorke »

looks like the ship from Descent, cool 8)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Well Rattle - i m shure you are still willing to practice. But you know this is War - so we take what we have, and if it is good, we want to see it in a Mod - know.

PS: Did you know that there was a Mobile Turret in Battlezone named Rattler
? Pretty Cool Unit and Pretty Usefull, oh and the gunship looks great...

Oh and

PS: Make it into a Mod. Now! ... just do it :)
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Hey picasso, I am, not a problem at all :twisted:

I am going to use it for something (I may include it in the final mod, but I may not either, it doesn't pertain to my mod, much...)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Never played Battlezone but the demo, I own BZ2 however.

Yeah it's just for practice... to get better. Still I'm way too lazy and hate drawing... :(
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

rattle wrote:
Yeah it's just for practice... to get better. Still I'm way too lazy and hate drawing... :(
Lets all Donate for a Motivator for Rattle! I think the Guy with the Whip & Hat (indy Jones) should do!
kuqa

Post by kuqa »

http://www.imageshock.eu/?img=suv-t7d1.jpg

This is the first attempt at a model for an upcoming project. No optimization or anything like that done yet. Under 2000 tris.

I know there are like 101 people who have tried this before and failed/disappeared, but the goal for us is to do a redesign of the classic TA units.

The first step is to model them in semi-hipoly and then optimize it down to a playable polycount.

Comments are welcome since we have not worked on game content before, only on commercial hipoly 3d modelling&animation.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Optimizing later is no excuse for wasting that many edges on the wheels.
kuqa

Post by kuqa »

well we would have put twice as many in there if it would not have been a complete mess due to the lines shown. Actuelly we did, but reduced it by half so the screen shot would look nicer :)

I think it is a good excuse. I want to have it look as much as an unit ingame textured as it can during the build process. Due to thiss i prefer the wheels to look terrain style also in the build program, and this is why there are so many sides on the wheels. You know it is actually a minutes work to reduce the polycount in this units wheels to what will be used with it as an spring unit.
smoth

Post by smoth »

For one there is no suv looking unit in TA

but anyway... anything that small those polies are wasted on the wheels like that.

For example(click for textured version):

Is pretty low poly for what it is. However, As big as it is, the legs are still big and low poly but the smoothing combined with the texture create a smoothed over look. The little bumps on your wheels will just be smoothed over in the eyes of the player. trust me, that gundam model has some pretty strong angles that still look round in game. You are wasting polies on a detail that will not be seen at that level of size.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Maybe making a high poly model first and then using it for a basic texture is a good idea? Especially if you like this guy seems, prefer to scetch the unit in high poly first.
smoth

Post by smoth »

well, you can bake the details on later but for spring that seems overkill.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

If you do a highpoly to lowpoly bake use real highpoly.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Explain "bake".
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Generally the process of taking rendering options and "baking" them onto the texture, often lighting or normals. E.g. what was done to make those graphics in Doom 3.
smoth

Post by smoth »

making kind of does via software what the artist can do with a texture but does it better because it is done with a computer in a systematic approach that a human really cannot achieve.

see here:
http://www.blender.org/development/rele ... er-baking/
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Hipoly bake also means taking the rendering from a highpoly mesh and projecting it onto a lowpoly mesh. That's pretty effective, look at e.g. the later Final Fantasies (FFX uses a radiosity bake from the looks of it) or any modern game with normalmaps (except for the Halo games, those use handpainted normalmaps).

Return to “Art & Modelling”