Petition to take Pathing Back to Basics

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Should pathing be restored to its Original State???

Yes, Please Take Pathing Back to Its Original State!
26%
No, Um You Better Explain yourself!
74%

Total votes: 19

Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

OK i want most ppl who are active on this website to vote:
Pathing FUCKING SUCKS atm. my units can't get through my factories and picturesque hills (eg. sunset ridge) stop NOT ONLY my vehicles BUT MY K-BOTS!!! WTF!!! i want pathing back to its original state (anything can climb everything) because it took sooo long to get over big hills (eg. small divide) that it wasn't practical. It was a lot more fun and a lot less buggy.
I really would like a patch to fix this in the next 3-4 days please (even with SJ gone to MS i think it shouldn't be too hard to do!) besides ppl complaining about maps and why hills are there miss the point that whilst the map ppl designed their maps all units (even vehicles) could freely roam about the map.
SinbadEV

VOTED NO

Post by SinbadEV »

Not all units should be able to go over all terrain, an ATAT should no be able to go up hills at all, tanks should not able to go up beyond a 45 degree angle, K-bots would have to be specially designed to go up past 80 degrees etc... problem is, when units were designed we didn't actually have 3D maps, just height maps underneath pictures, so theirs a good chance that what used to look realistic and work in the orriginal won't look good anymore... I would suggest a spring specific XTA build that would take 3D into account, likely upping the hill climbing ability of most units substancially.

Now as a temporary fix it might be a good idea to throw it back to the old way for now, but to me it's a lot more fun to have hills that acctually block my units, so they figure out when it's time for units to walk AROUND a hill instead of going OVER it and taking forever, and then getting stuck up there and taking forever to get back down when I notice.
Last edited by SinbadEV on 04 Jun 2005, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

The 2 PPL who voted no better explain themselves! :evil:
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Yes, go back to the old pathfinding is only a quick fix. A better solution is needed. Have your tank climbing the wall of Core Prime is just odd.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

hehe cool tho...especially for rushing =D
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

No, having jeffies drive on the vertical faces of Azure Rampart was a bug and had to be corrected.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

I'm sure there was a maximum climb angle tag in ota?
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Yes, but units not able to drive down a slightly steeper slope looks very bad in Spring. Ideally, the system should allow the units to go down ANY slope, and allow them to climb a certain slope unhindered (maybe half the maxslope value, or a new easyslope one), and above that to a certain max value, the unit will steadily lose speed, and will be unable to go any steeper than the maxslope. The pathing will probably have to regard all slopes as passable, but the unit will have to find its own way past a vertical wall.
Since the unit paths are directional, it might be easy to make the pathfinder actually see if the unit will go up or down a slope at a certain point, although I'm sure it will increase the CPU load for the pathing, which was very much decreased since the previous version. Four thousand Fleas have little problem finding their way on the map now, tested with the Random Enemies script.

All in all, I vote No to having the old system back, and Yes to have a new system, similar to the one I described.
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

the system should allow the units to go down ANY slope,
And if the units meet a 90-80 degree slope then? what, will they stick like glue or kamakize jump down? (just askin, not flaming)

The realitic thing to do is to have it like it is now, whit some minor changes... like vechiles can go 5-10 more deggres up a wall. A system where you can climb anything at any speed is stupid. we could as good have completly flat maps for that... Btw are there any speed boost for tanks when they are going downhill? it should be a major strategic benefit if a major speed bosst when going down sharp slopses.

As for pathfinding, it diffrent for evry unit (or type of unit) right? Then all vechiles should think of evry slope bigger then 2/3 of their max climing abilty a nonshortcut, and evryting over a wall. ( this is alredy in pathfinding or what? am i just rambeling here?talking to plant or something?)
Cheery

Post by Cheery »

I would like if they would build the pathing manually.

I would like too if there would be some vehicles which goes really fast when going on flat. Then you would be able to build roads (lever terrain) which allows you to transport your troops quickly.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

nobody who posted no has explained themselves :-O! i know its only a temporary solution but it will take AGES for the SYs to 'fix' it and in the meantime there are literally a handful of maps which i like and play (flooded desert :D) i mean sunset ridge and mirage etc have all become really boring and porcing based :(
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Vehicles meeting a steep slope (steeper than they can handle) will either skid down (if their speed wasn't high), or will tumble, or jump, down.
el_muchacho

Post by el_muchacho »

I think I've experienced a bug when there was a fairly large number of ground units (say ~20) near the top of a mountain, with two static units (one canon and one radar). When I wanted to select all the units of the area to tell them to move, they would just stand still, until I deselect the two static units.
In the middle of hot action, this bug is very annoying.

Return to “Engine”