GPL Code Repository - Page 3

GPL Code Repository

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I could do that as well though Argh's is easier to read. Mine includes seperation into left and right tracks as well (to make them individualy reversable). Anyway, to make good tracks it needs a bit more than just a script...
Argh

Post by Argh »

Mainly the tracks for the Knight in NanoBlobs are achieved through modeling tricks, which, for various reasons, aren't going to be easy for most people to do. Doing 'em with Wings would be a nightmare- you really have to have an app that will do an array along a curve. FLOZi's method is a lot easier in some ways, but it also requires some tricky stuff. I should probably do an example using FLOZi's technique though, because it's fairly easy and can be applied to a lot've other things.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Well from what I get, it seems like you need multiple treads to make it work. Merely hiding and unhiding as it goes....

Edit: It is probably deeper though..
Argh

Post by Argh »

No, it really is that simple- I'm just hiding and unhiding treads. The motion is an illusion, just the like the illusion of motion created by a motion picture or for that matter a computer :-)

You can inspect the model and export it to OBJ using UpSpring, if you really want to just look at it. It's not the actual geometry that was important- it's how it was made. As I said... not something you'd do with Wings. Maybe Blender can do arrays along paths... I dunno.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

How would Wings not be fit for something so simple? Merely sliding a UV or 8 seems like it would work...
Argh

Post by Argh »

Er... that's not how I did it. FLOZi did it that way, and I agree, that's very simple. Go look at what I did and then come back to this conversation ;)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Trust me it can't be done in wings the way Argh did it, I tried and the outcome just wan't worth the effort nor was it looking any good. Moving UV maps is the easiest way possible and it can look fairly good as well.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

YOU'VE ALL COMPLETELY LOST YOUR MINDS.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Spiked, please.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Wonder what was up with that... Yeah, ok, I'll check the script/unit... When I get home from school, I have to go in like 10 mins..
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

I have a request.

For our mod (Spring: 1944) we are in need of a multi-use transport. This transport must be capable of transporting either 10 infantry OR 1 towed gun. Not both. Obviously it mustn't be able to transport anything else (like a 70-ton Tiger II). Ontop of that, while being towed, the gun must appear behind the truck at the right orientation (ie facing backwards) while being transported, but infantry must not...

Quite a challenge. For me, atleast. Infact, impossible for me.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help out...
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

I can do it. Just a case of having the motivation. :(
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Thoght this was a GPL repository and not a do script x for me thread? 8)
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Oi! Such a script would be very useful and would/should find its place in any sort of collection of scripts!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I believe somebody mentioned something about a weight tag, which would in theory allow you to carry 10 units of x weight, or 1 unit of 10x weight. I can't find it at the moment, but I'll ask around.
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

its teh mass tag. Given a generic number (X) u can limit a transport to mass X. therefore give each infantry man X/10 and the towed gun X. all other units that should be untransportable should be mass>X. However there are some issues with this method and things don't always work out well. so make sure u do some testing
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Thanks, j5mello. That is what I remembered as well... who raised the issue? I can't remember who I heard it from... though I'm leaning to Smoth, Fang or Argh.
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

fairly sure it was Fang, Caydr and someone else. Smoth's transports don't do a lot of... well, transporting. its either one, two, or three GMs.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

The mass tags are part of the solution - yes, but the script is required to do a little more.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Could this angle-finding script be used to fix the dodgy turret aiming anims you get with aircraft?

Return to “Game Development”