Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 309

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

JohannesH

Re: Random WIP

Post by JohannesH »

Always modifying the ground below the fac is no go until the engine stops showing heightmap changes everywhere to everyone.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Truly phenomenal models and textures! And a video tutorial coming soon? Simply awesome. :-)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Modifying the heightmap may have other unsightly effects aside from repathing, such as raising the entire factory up if you raise the wrong part.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

JohannesH wrote:Always modifying the ground below the fac is no go until the engine stops showing heightmap changes everywhere to everyone.
a little OT but that's a problem with wreckage as well that need to be fixed. It's really... revealing. Especially in FFA games.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Manipulating the terrain bellow seems the right way to achieve that but, yeah, can the ground be "reseted" if the fac is destroyed ?
Yes
Always modifying the ground below the fac is no go until the engine stops showing heightmap changes everywhere to everyone.
I didn't think of that, it will be an issue.
Modifying the heightmap may have other unsightly effects aside from repathing, such as raising the entire factory up if you raise the wrong part.
I think these can be avoided.
a little OT but that's a problem with wreckage as well that need to be fixed. It's really... revealing. Especially in FFA games.
This is not an engine issue, the option is in the engine.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

That is rather depressing, Sheek. I understand, though. How is dev going there, I'd love to keep up on your projects.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Cremuss wrote: Saktoth > I can do basics lua unit scripts but I surely will need 1 or 2 lua coders when time to code ans scripts will come :P
You shouldnt have too much trouble, the problem usually comes from people not having any art assets (you wont have this problem) or not being willing to put enough work in themselves (ditto). Though there have been a few projects with good art content and a hard working core dev (Eternal Struggle comes to mind) that simply languish. Some CA guys might be willing to help you out, given how much we've benefitted from your models so far.

Yeah the fact that terrain will reveal your location means you probably want to rely on scripting. Set the position of the unit according to its % complete, then when its almost finished, move the build position down the ramp. If its a conveyor belt type setup, then this will be fine. If you want your unit to -walk- off a ramp out of the factory though, you could always just move the unit with lua or something.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Also, nice job on the armored car shrapnel. The metal texture looks good.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

I think this model might have originally been one of yours bob.
scifi

Post by scifi »

omg thats perfect cremsus

its simple clean and detailed at the same time !n1

i really want that texturing video ^^
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Here's the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLeB6kSiUoY
JohannesH wrote:Always modifying the ground below the fac is no go until the engine stops showing heightmap changes everywhere to everyone.
Yes, blasted engine bug. It is the bane of my existence. I really hope it will be fixed one day.
scifi

Post by scifi »

Wowah i ment for cremsus texturing video

but now that i saw this WOWA awesome stuff =)
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

hey, video released :)

again, thanks everyone :-)

Google_Frog > Finally I think that I'll go for moving the unit with lua through moving arm or whatever :)

Saktoth > thank you for proposing help but I started 3D with spring and I learned almost everything from you guys so you owe me nothing :-) :cry: though it's cool to propose help since I'll probably need some when I'll start doing unit scripts later :twisted:

CarRepairer > cool 8)
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

i hope your doing some cool mech/humanoid models in your rts i would love to see what you come up with :D.
EatMyShrapnel

Post by EatMyShrapnel »

bobthedinosaur wrote:Also, nice job on the armored car shrapnel. The metal texture looks good.
thanks, I updated
and
started a new one
Cremuss wrote:hey, video released
hello Cremsus, nice work, do you use Verse-Blender ?

I use blender and gimp since two months, so if you have some good tutorials to make texture for game, share with me :D
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

Otherside > yeah sure I'll make kbots :)

EatMyShrapnel > I don't have any, but you can use tutorials from 3dsmax, maya, photoshop or whatever. The workflow and main idea of the tutorial is generally not software specific.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

shrapnel, i would blur shadows a bit and add some 'iron plates' texture and rivets on main body of junker, but besides that models are awesome
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Cremuss wrote:Otherside > yeah sure I'll make kbots :)

EatMyShrapnel > I don't have any, but you can use tutorials from 3dsmax, maya, photoshop or whatever. The workflow and main idea of the tutorial is generally not software specific.
I like that precolouring of specific groups, although i have a question: Do you have a colourscheme for everything prepared before you start texturing?
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

PicassoCT > Well, not really. I mean don't have a a list of colors already made that I'm picking to do my texture. I just have in mind that the model needs to have the same blueish/greyish color, so I usually starts by filling a layer with the same dominant color (around 118/123/128) and then toyingwith saturations/screen/multiply on specific parts to have some variations :)

EatMyShrapnel > Verse-Blender ? didn't know that :D
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Yeah this guy again.

Return to “Art & Modelling”