Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 318

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Re: Random WIP

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Taken from: http://forums.imperialwinter.com/index.php?topic=316.0

Partly to show off Lynx's work (AKA Wolf-In-Exile) but also to get some feedback (and show some signs of life).
We thought, seeing as there hasn't been much public activity of late, we'd involve you all with some of the private discussions that are taking place. One of the more exciting ones is the progress on the Imperial All Terrain Armoured Transport (ATAT), one of the Imperial superweapons. Lynx has done an excellent job modelling and texturing this, but we're all divided as to how the teamcolour should be done.

How do you think we should tackle the teamcolour?

(feel free to throw the above images into photoshop/paint/etc to explain to us!)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

jesus :o

i personally dont like adding teamcolour to units, i think someone made widget that makes circle around unit with teamcolour, did u think about that ?
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

We don't want to enforce teamcolour platters for you to be able to tell apart your units, just have them as an optional widget, so all of our units have teamcolour on them. I think teamcolour plays an important role in gameplay, as you can very quickly tell units apart without having a mess of platters cluttering up your UI and potentially breaking immersion. I also think teamcolour lets players identify with their troops a bit more (I always like seeing my units trudging around in the glorious neon yellow of my empire ;) ). Done well it can improve a unit, done poorly it can ruin a nice texture.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Keep it subtle. Use as less as possible. You have a nice texture there and you really shouldn't break it up with teamcolor. Too much and it's going to be ugly.

Maybe only this is enough, I really like doing it this way because it won't break up the texture and it looks like it can actually be that way, I doubt there will ever be a lot of AT AT (will they be capped?). Red glow on a robots head? Eek scary 8)

Or maybe you need something like this, but I really don't like it:

But it might actually look very good in game. I suggest you test both and check how it looks in the game. Often I don't know what to do with my textures and how to add focus / more visual interest until I see it in action.

Good luck :)
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

/me dribbles.

I think you should give the player a few options in terms of team colours though. Much like a lot of FPS games, you can set texture quality, colour type (Fullbright, Default, Lightmapped etc), specific colours the enemy should be and other such options.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Hoi: We most likely wouldn't go for that for a few reasons:

1) It very clearly didn't glow in the films. You can imagine that they might paint the ATAT differently to what you saw in the films, but it's harder to imagine why the cockpit is suddenly glowing red.
2) It isn't a robot, it's a giant transport. The slit isn't for eyes, it's where the pilot sits.
3) While red might make it look angry, if it is teamcolour, it could just as easily be pink.
And perhaps more importantly, for gameplay reasons:
4) I should've noted this already, so I'll say it here: teamcolour needs to be visible from as many angles as possible, and at the very least from the overhead perspective at all times. If it was only the eyes glowing, then you may not be able to see it from overhead, particularly if it is aiming down at something, and you definitely wouldn't be able to see it from, say, a Total War camera view when it is facing away from you.

EDIT: Sorry, on close inspection I see you have put some other glows around the unit - most of what I said above still applies though. I'm not sure if it is possible to emit a CEG with the player's teamcolour, so it would have to be done with glows in the texture. It's certainly a possibility, but the fact that I didn't really notice the other areas other then the cockpit perhaps suggests that this wouldn't be obvious enough...

Jazcash: Not really possible with Spring at the moment.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I also like the glowly lights (except for the visor light) as they provide teamcolour while maintaining the defined 'paint job' of the unit. Maybe put a few lights on the wheels too, this is so tanks don't run into it in the dark. Black and dark player colours may be an issue with the light system.

If you don't want lights put the teamcolour in the recessed panels behind the 'ear' guns and colour the long panels on the top.

I don't think it needs much teamcolour as the player is not going to suddenly lose track of who owns such a large unit.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Google_Frog wrote:I don't think it needs much teamcolour as the player is not going to suddenly lose track of who owns such a large unit.
Well this is exactly my point. The visor light is a bit over the top but using lights won't break the texture :)
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Maybe something like soviet invasion stripes?

Attachments
swiw.png
(378.51 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

hehehe swedish ATAT ;)

Keep the suggestions coming!
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

I know this might seem kinda bland, but what about large imperial insignias on the side? I mean, after all, this is the story of shattered fragments of the empire, why wouldn't they have ego?
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

I'd think you don't need much teamcolor, it's such a big model so even a small patch would be visible, and there probably won't be hostile ATATs passing by each other too often.

Not too sure where exactly though...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

uh i never thought about such a transparent teamcolour, uber idea
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

well, somebody remember that holographic tactics table on geonosis? Thats how i would do it, a key to switch to a glowing tk wireframe look.. but hey, thats the darkside of things, that is not fun
bog13s301.jpg
(73.99 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

ATAT due in spring 2013? I think team colors could work, just not in a christmas gift ribbon fashion.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

shake that ass

The blocky center section of the main body could be entirely in team color if you were using a different method to blend the team color. I don't think using overlaying paint will look any good
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Last time I checked. There wasn't team color in "The Empire Strikes Back"
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

bobthedinosaur wrote:Last time I checked. There wasn't team color in "The Empire Strikes Back"
Check again... They were the grey team
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

teamcoloured all over, just imagine they would have red or pink, how gay would look that.. can i have pjama teamcolours? Little dots and stripes? Or how about tartan teamcolour? Some things never went out of fashion ;)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

yeah I'd like the deathstar painted in a polka dot fashion... and burberry shirts for all imperial troops!

Return to “Art & Modelling”