Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 63

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

http://rattle.from-hell.net/spring/overkill_tracks.avi
Peet's idea.

No this is not WIP but no idea where else to post. 752 tris on one of them and it's way too much work.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Well, it could be used on an uber large tank. Like, a single tank per game tank, of some sort.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Pretty finished thus not really a wip:

Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I really like the design and texturing approach.

My criticisms:

- There needs to be some sort of focal point on the model, I think, probably on the 'head' area. Some sort of dark detail, doesn't necessarily have to be a cockpit.

Also, the engine flares can be done better. Try to put some residual glow on surfaces near the engine glow, make the engine glow a circular gradient rather then flat, and perhaps pick a better tone (perhaps something with a reddish/yellowish hue?)
smoth

Post by smoth »

HOLY CRAP! AWESOME AS ALWAYS AZAREMOTH!
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

The texture needs more contrasts I think. Could you show it from TA view?
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

I added a "windscreen" and there is the TA view. I think the texture is detailed enough and there is no need to improve the contrast - I fear this would ruin the intended style ;)

chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

That looks wicked!
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Never seen anything from you before.

Looks very nice!
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Snipawolf wrote:Never seen anything from you before.
Not under this topic. But there is more and more will be done - step by step... ;)

Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

needs more saturation on the teamcolour imo.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

*realises what this is*
*squee overload*
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

^^ :D
Pressure Line wrote:needs more saturation on the teamcolour imo.
I really dislike bright team colors... It is enough to realise which team owns the units. 8)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I know what it is for too. Long time no updates though.

Are you sure this does not suffer from the gray-blob-syndrome from a distance? Washed out team colors and desaturated colors usually turn into gray blobs where you can't make out anything besides the shape.

Strong conrtrasts are very important if you want it to look good from the distance people will be mostly looking at it.

I mean both models and textures look pretty good but this could ruin it.

Strong team colors aren't necessarily needed thanks to Lua (team color selection rings etc.) but I'd desaturate what ever is under the team color. Blue on beige turns into violet or some other weird color while others may look good on it (such as red). However team color on gray has equal amounts of red and green in it.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

rattle wrote:I know what it is for too. Long time no updates though.
This never was my project - I was just modeling... And as there was noone else participating... :roll:
rattle wrote: However team color on gray has equal amounts of red and green in it.
Sounds reasonable - I'll play around with same grey base colors underneath the teamcolor.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I think s3os always turn into grey blobs when they turn into sprites because their textures aren't rendered.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

That's the LOD feature which turns s3os into gray billboards... I think. What I was on about is you can hardly make out anything besides the shilouette, thus the model looks like a lighter or darker "blob" of something. Happened to me.
This never was my project - I was just modeling... And as there was noone else participating...
I know, but I thought it was put on ice. Good to see someone still wants to get it done.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I think they are fine.

rattle wrote: Strong conrtrasts are very important if you want it to look good from the distance people will be mostly looking at it.

The tanks in gundam are colored and people argued that the color was too subtle until I posted this shot:

Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

azaremoth wrote:
rattle wrote:I know what it is for too. Long time no updates though.
This never was my project - I was just modeling... And as there was noone else participating... :roll:
rattle wrote: However team color on gray has equal amounts of red and green in it.
Sounds reasonable - I'll play around with same grey base colors underneath the teamcolor.
Maybe we can rouse ourselves to contribute!
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

It depends on the color smoth. A darker desaturated green does not make much of a difference to a dark shade of gray. And the first shot has alot of contrasts.

The point is, spawn a couple of different units for one side which have similar texturing, zoom out and try to tell them apart. If all you can make out are a couple of shilouettes which look similar then you need to either adjust the textures or save yourself from click fest hell with some fancy Lua unit identification thingy.

Return to “Art & Modelling”