Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 315

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

aGorm

Re: Random WIP

Post by aGorm »

Ok so I'm remodeling the Cyber Lord and I need some feedback.

(PS dont worry, this isn't another case of aGorm needlessly remodeling instead of finishing the game, I'm re-using the older one as the Cyber Elite... so both will be in game.)

As you can see... there are two back-packs. I'm not sure which I prefer. I'm tempted to put both on (one either side), especialy as it's a one of unit so it will make it more unique, but I'd apreciate your thoughts.

aGorm

(PS model not final yet, and yes, it looks more spindly on purpose... it fits with the story.)
Attachments
lordshow2.jpg
(18.2 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
lordshow1.jpg
(17.5 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

The tanks make more sense to me, as the other one looks like Inverted Jet Packs.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

@ SpikedHelmet:
looks fine to me, especially if its meant for a rts
@ aGorm:
I can see your dilemma: they both look great.
But if i had to vote, its for the canisters. (Although i'd make them more bloated, give 'm a little more volume.)
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

I prefer the exhaust, tbh. :P
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Redid the fckn thing.
Attachments
AKcompare.jpg
AKcompare.jpg (23.14 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
AK47b_wip2.jpg
AK47b_wip2.jpg (21.2 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

in a simpler universe, the cyberlord would wear the cannisters on his arms and carry this nicely textured ak47.
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

spikedhelmet > good ! metal looks a bit flat, maybe you can draw some strong specular lines on some parts

some wips..
I imported everything in spring but nothing is animated right now cause i've some troubles with multiple objects obj files so it was just to see how it looks in spring. I also baked a ground AO of every buildings that I putted as a grounddecal texture. Took me so long to find the right grounddecalsizeX/Y for everybuildings....
It looks good but it's a bit strong on white maps like snow. I need to tweak that a bit.

I also did normal maps, but I've some troubles with kloot/argh's normal map shader right now, so screenshots are without normal maps. Anyway normal maps are almost invisible from a realgame distance view and considering the fps drops, I don't know if normals maps are a good idea ^^

Nuclear Fusion, EMP, antimissile and shieldgenerator done. Others are following soon.
Critics welcome

I'm pretty satisfied with the result :), hope you like it.
cya
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

looks great i love it.

The models are of a commercial quality imo.

Its about time we got a good looking Scifi mod that was totally IP free. (inb4 argh/forb hate)
Gota

Post by Gota »

Looks great but i think the texture on those open solar panels is a bit too simple or maybe has an inappropriate shade of blue.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Very nice... They look quite distinct from each other from a distance too, which is 1 of most important things in RTS, but still fit together well. Only exception might be with the plasma cannon and flak cannon, but I'm not sure... Maybe after a dozen games I still could tell them apart clearly.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Otherside wrote:Its about time we got a good looking Scifi mod that was totally IP free. (inb4 argh/forb hate)
kind of a strange thing to say
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Gota wrote:Looks great but i think the texture on those open solar panels is a bit too simple or maybe has an inappropriate shade of blue.
This seems to be map dependant... The solars on the moon map aren't shimmering blue.
Gota

Post by Gota »

True and in both cases IMO they look a bit odd when next to all the other structures.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

no words :< cant wait to see some units !
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Cremuss: have you imported bumpmaps, too?

If not: Spring supports them now! Ask Kloot, jK, or Carrepairer. :P
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

thanks guys !

MidKnight : bumpmaps ? Do you mean normalmaps ? (I tried that but doesn't works really good : http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19361)
Anyway, no, I'm only using basics tex1 and tex2 atm :-)

Wombat : units, yeah, soon, hopefully :)

Gota : Reflection does that but I agree that it looks a bit minimalistic. I must admit that I like it, though :D
Solar pannels are supposed to be as reflective as possible with a reflective surface as large as possible so I don't know what else to do. Any ideas maybe ?

Johannes : I had the same thought looking at the flaks&turrets but I guess it's not dramatic :)

Otherside : thx
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Eventhough I'm not big fan of the style of those models (More like Starcraft than TA) they are still stunning!

Now you just need to make more of them! Whole faction!
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Absolutely amazing work Cremuss. Im glad you used new spring with my map for epic sexiness.
I also baked a ground AO of every buildings that I putted as a grounddecal texture.
Great idea!
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Cremuss wrote:MidKnight : bumpmaps ? Do you mean normalmaps ? (I tried that but doesn't works really good : http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19361)
CA uses its own gadget which works much better, also you don't even need to edit unitdefs to get it working. Just give the normalmap a similar name to tex1/tex2 and it is used automatically. (similar means: if tex1 is foobar1.dds then the normalmap should have the name foobar_normals.dds)
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

jK wrote:
Cremuss wrote:MidKnight : bumpmaps ? Do you mean normalmaps ? (I tried that but doesn't works really good : http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19361)
CA uses its own gadget which works much better, also you don't even need to edit unitdefs to get it working. Just give the normalmap a similar name to tex1/tex2 and it is used automatically. (similar means: if tex1 is foobar1.dds then the normalmap should have the name foobar_normals.dds)
S44 now uses this gadget and I can reccomend it (although it does require some fiddling around adding other gadgets and so on)

Return to “Art & Modelling”