Texturing tips.

Texturing tips.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Soppe666

Texturing tips.

Post by Soppe666 »

So as some of you might know me and a friend are starting a project.
I have some models done and are begginig on the texturing.
I use Wings 3D to UVmap and make the "raw" Texture file.

It is the texture editing itself I can't seem to get right, I use Gimp and all I can do is to colorize stuff to recieve boring plain colored units, which doesn't look too great. Is there a plugin for it or a brush that I can use to make everything look more "realistic"?

And yes I am a GIMP noob, only editing program I have any experience with is Lightroom(I am a Photographer) Which I doubt will be of any use at all for this sort of image editing.

If there is any FAQ's or anything I have missed on the site please just post up a link or something :wink:

here is the models I am texturing by the way:
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: Texturing tips.

Post by KaiserJ »

i'm sure as a photographer, you know about technique... everyone has their own workflow and requirements they place on themselves

i feel like this method could work for you

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... +fireworks

fireworks comes with a 30-day trial... its what i use for most of my texturing work... vector based, not bitmaps, so stuff ends up working out a little differently.

what fireworks texturing breaks down to is using vector shapes with a bitmap fill (you can see it as the tutorial progresses) that works fine on its own or works even nicer with a bit of "hand-paint" over the top

the beauty of beheriths method is that it's blazingly fast

anyways... it's just one way to do it. you can also do pattern fills in gimp but comparitively the interface and options are just a bit "meh"

cool tanks btw; the little one in the right of the pic is a sniper :)

one thing that concerns me a little... did you make the turret/barrel/chassis separate pieces so you can animate them easily? hard to tell from the screens... i made this mistake with some of my first models and i'd hate you to have to discover on your own ;)

edit: cgtextures has a lot of nice source material; i can post links of texture archives if you'd like as well

double edit: i'm certainly not the best texturer here... in fact i'm probably one of the worst. keep this in mind :D
Soppe666

Post by Soppe666 »

I have the Barrel/Turret/hull as different pieces in the model itself.(if that is what you meant)
I'll check Fireworks out, thanks
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Soppe666 wrote:I have the Barrel/Turret/hull as different pieces in the model itself.
(thumbs up)

good luck sir!

don't be afraid to seek texturing tips outside of the spring website either
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

There is a outside?

Texturing?

This. http://www.cgtextures.com/
Photoshop. UVW-Mapping, Piece for Piece, without mercy. If you ever wondered, why in many games, old stuff gets recycled on and on. This is why.

Another great tutorial, that somebody allready posted on this board.
http://www.isotx.com/forum/showthread.p ... utorial%29

Yeah, i know this is disgusting and scaring off. Beeing linked to a wall of text never helped me much. Therefore, try and error. Just try to Paint your tankparts in simple colours. Then apply one texture. Try to get it on the Tank without stretchingdistortion.

Next step, try to make it look seemlessly. Post one of your modells, and i unwrap it for you. and pretexture it.

Also, always remember, whats seen ingame from your modell is the aboveparts, so there is where the detail goes, the bottom, thats important for grass and squashed infantry.
Soppe666

Post by Soppe666 »

PicassoCT wrote:There is a outside?

Texturing?

This. http://www.cgtextures.com/
Photoshop. UVW-Mapping, Piece for Piece, without mercy. If you ever wondered, why in many games, old stuff gets recycled on and on. This is why.

Another great tutorial, that somebody allready posted on this board.
http://www.isotx.com/forum/showthread.p ... utorial%29

Yeah, i know this is disgusting and scaring off. Beeing linked to a wall of text never helped me much. Therefore, try and error. Just try to Paint your tankparts in simple colours. Then apply one texture. Try to get it on the Tank without stretchingdistortion.

Next step, try to make it look seemlessly. Post one of your modells, and i unwrap it for you. and pretexture it.

Also, always remember, whats seen ingame from your modell is the aboveparts, so there is where the detail goes, the bottom, thats important for grass and squashed infantry.
That first one looks like a great resource, thanks.
I'll read more through the second link you posted later :wink:

And with post one of my models, do you mean the wings3D file, a picture or the 3DS?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

3ds..
Soppe666

Post by Soppe666 »

Says I can't attach a 3ds file here.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Zip the file. It not only works but is considerate of bandwidth.

Return to “Art & Modelling”