smoth's junk. - Page 3

smoth's junk.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Re: smoth's junk.

Post by rattle »

oh you want realism.... well that still leaves you with the option of a pelvic thrust cannon!
smoth

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote:Could the ammo drums be integrated into the torso without looking ridiculous?
not without making the mech significantly larger. The torso it taken up with the power core and pilot space systems.
rattle wrote:oh you want realism.... well that still leaves you with the option of a pelvic thrust cannon!
That design component belongs to another mech.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

personally I'm not really fond of how the weapon arms look either way...

http://battletechreader.blogspot.de/200 ... chive.html
smoth

Post by smoth »

roughly 70 feet tall that one. they derp designs to enhance "realism" Christ, the only things I like about that mech are the legs and head.

God everything makes no sense to me about it. The damn thing has rotaryac5 and nowhere near the capacity to store the ammunition. Don't tell me the tanks on the side of the torso store it, the joints are rotational cuffs with about 20 feet between the barrels and the drums on the side of the battlemech even ignoring the distance the rounds would have to be fired at the back of the "gun" bullpup style negating the heat dissipation of the gun having several barrels. That is just the guns, then we get into the derp of battletech. Glass cockpit on top of lasers at the center of mass exposed for everyone to shoot or step on. Hell an axeman could best this thing by throwing a rock at the torso.

god I hate battletech.

*clarification edit*
should be clear, I have NO idea whether you are pro or con the design of that thing but I am just posting a reaction to the design because honestly most of battletech is derp as hell.
Last edited by smoth on 12 Jul 2012, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

One thing smoth... if it fires, no matter how it is build.. could you make it lean a little into the firing direction- and add a little recoilshiver.. i always found it unsettling how all those robos, shot without even twitching..

also.. if we start having realism with battlemechs.. we start by not having battlemechs at all..

a realistic mecha would have the pilot well hidden, somewhere in the backpack- or even better in one of the foots. It would have a Airborne, choper like drone, that could depart taking up fights with tanks and return then... obviously no cockpit.. sensors everywhere. In Addition impressive decoyparts that would attract shots , nothing to say against a decoy cockpit. Finally camo- lots of it.
Last edited by PicassoCT on 12 Jul 2012, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

The mech has recoilless cannons. There is going to be blowback coming from the rear of the gun.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

well I'm pro the design of the arms
smoth

Post by smoth »

There is no way for them to get all their bullets. The legionnaire battle mech has this better covered
Erik

Post by Erik »

Just to be sure you're talking about giant bipedal steel monsters and have a discussion about realism?.
:lol:
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

No reason to not attempt to apply common sense to their design.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Hell, given the size of those guns they'd likely have to be more like battleship cannons that fire volleys than actual gatlings.

I think design-wise the one with the ammo storage on the top looks more powerful than the one with the integrated storage. Maybe you could take the integrated one, slim down some more parts and have it be a light gatling.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

You could make a gattling gun going through both arms, like a spearthrower after having let go of the spear.

Basically same approach as the A-10.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
(66.97 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
smoth

Post by smoth »

Nah bruh
smoth

Post by smoth »

Something for kdr.

This is what I meant by the gun being the size of a zaku2 machinegun.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Where'd the M1 come from?
smoth

Post by smoth »

free model I googled up.
smoth

Post by smoth »

proportions adjusted. Bed time
smoth

Post by smoth »

*Power company had discovered an electro-chemical process which not only produced never before seen clean energy, this energy also had a secondary property of producing an energy field. Within the next 50 years space travel became possible and with it, new desires for power. Thanks to this shielding technology human beings were capable of colonizing previously ignored planets! For the first time man left earth. New planetary governments were formed, atmospheres created and mankind finally had the miracle science it had hoped for

Of course, differences began to show and the spectre of greed and arrogance once again fell up mankind. Wars broke out, intially small skirmishes over planets high in valuable minerals. Soon interplanetary warfare began on a scale few had seen. Shielding systems soon were used to coat joints of great war machines and fighter aircraft! Once peaceful technology was transformed into warmachines!

This changed when several governments found themselves in debt to the very companies supplying them with weapons, having no means to pay. From this debt rose the company nations. Governments fell to the very arms dealers they once employed. 100 years after mankind took to space and mankind managed to trap it's self in the galactic perimeter.

With their new found power the corporations sought to nudge out *Powercompany* a fragile aliance was formed and the alliance crushed *Powercompany*. The ability to build powercores was lost with the fall of *powercompany* with pieces of technology barely understood, it would seem that the secret of the power core disappeared with *powercompany*.

Seeking to once again travel through space, each corporation nation began attempts to reverse engineer the powercore technology. This proved most unsuccessful as the cores were unstable and prone to immediate disintegration upon inspection. So with what little knowledge they had, corporate nations began to develop their own cores! The manufacture of of these second generation bastard cores required key power core elements. Such elements required factories so complex they were the size of cities. These second generation cores were not exact, they were very similar but not exact. These second generation cores displayed new properties and soon corporate nations began see their second generation core technology with a new since of nationalism. They had the ability to take their employees to space again! "Company man" has a new meaning and to get promoted now meant stepping over the bodies of your fellow employee, sometimes literally.

Cores produce the following effects:
shielding, allowing the production of ultra strong joints and the ability to protect the pilots both from environment and harm. Some cores have the ability to trigger fluctuations, these fluctuations produce anomalies which the science of this far future can barely explain

Behemoth Conglomerate:
Core Technology:
Powers joints much stronger than others
Stable output levels.

UnNamed
Core Technology:
Powers moderate joins.
Capable of burst output levels

Arx Dynamics
Core Technology:
Powers moderate joints
Capable of variable anti-gravity field.

The above is NOT complete just the ideas as I have them hashed out.
Last edited by smoth on 04 Nov 2012, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Isnt ammo that is exposed like this rather dangerous? what about tri-barrels? I think they're sexier than the ordinary minigun look
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

In terms of realism, having the ammo where it is means a lot of weight high and a high center of gravity.

Return to “Art & Modelling”