Where do you like to start?

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

THIS THREAD IS FOR FUN AND LOLZ!

So a while back I started on a model to replace the artillery truck from CT. I found a cool picture that I wanted to base my model off of:

I started my model from the chassis, building it up from there. Did not go well. Total "modelers block", just couldn't make anything worth a crap. Here is what I came up with...

Awful, right? Just couldn't get it together, I'm sure that happens to even the best of you guys. This is actually like the third almost-identical attempt.

So I finally just threw it out and started again... this time, making the gun first. Focusing on making the gun look "cool", I ended up with a great place to start from. And it flowed so much better... no real creative hang-ups... The chassis I ended up making wasn't that great, but a lot better than before I think!

Still a WiP, but I thought it would be fun to share these two different results. Interesting, how stumped I was starting from the actual truck, but when I started with the gun everything fit together a lot more.

So, out of curiosity, what do people find to be their approach? I'm sure it's different from model to model, but I thought it'd be fun to exchange stories :wink:
Attachments
artillery 2.png
(39.38 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
artillery 1.png
(31.58 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
knorke

Re: Where do you like to start?

Post by knorke »

good thread idea :-)
If i start with the basis of a vehicle it looks like this
with a bunch of random stuff stuck on top, which is boring.

Problem is when making a vehicle with such a low "resolution" as the cubes, the options are a bit limited.
So I mostly make a new unit when I think of an interessting way to arrange wheels/legs.
I often make copies of stuff and test out stuff, then I pick the version I like most.

Watch the evolution of this abomination:

ingame:

another unit:
http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=k6dineWX

Sometimes there are those combination of pieces that do not form anything yet but just feel right..sometimes stuff is based on that too. (LEGO (the plastic ones) builders can relate)
Usually I soon notice if it is going somewhere or not: if I can not "see" it after a few minutes I close wings and do something else. A few times I saved unfinished ideas to continue later but well...
no idea what that was supposed to be.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Here I was thinking of the Dune2 Carryall, but after placing muck-up feet I thought they would get in the way of things that would be transported. So game mechanics changed the first design.

I like to make a copy/duplicate with most steps I make, so I can always easily go a step back when it doesn't work out, or rapidly make different variants of the same idea. Pieces float around the centre of the model like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle waiting to be integrated in the right spot. Some never do and are deleted... Or end up in the library.

I like to save unused and proven pieces alike in a constellation I call my library. They help make new units quicker and ensure they are somewhat consistent with the other units. While the library grows, the need for concept art or a reference photo becomes less, although after a while the library is exhausted when stuff starts to look alike to much and then its time to completely start from scratch again.

So also semi-LEGO (not the plastic ones) builders can relate :-)
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

That is really cool Firestorm. Totally different than my approach to modeling, and I like it :-)
knorke wrote: Image
no idea what that was supposed to be.
Makes me think of this guy:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

*waiting for Kaiser*
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Well, like knorke I thought it was a cool thread idea SanadaUjiosan, and I hoped my entry would help get the ball roiling. I find reading how others do stuff can be fun and informative. :-)

And knorke's creation made me think of this drawing by Escher:
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Oh, Escher.. nothing wrong with that.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

at the beginning when it's fun and at the end when it becomes a chore
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am a huge fan of bullet hell games. at least things like raiden fighters
so I like unrealistically huge vehicles.

if I did something not gundam rts expect units to look like the above.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Larry the painter.. he always paints those weak spots flaming red. So many virtual wars were lost because of larry forgetting about camo when it comes to the belly button of warmaschinery.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Wombat wrote:*waiting for Kaiser*
if i'm just mucking i start with either a cube or a geosphere; cut them in half, then make a symmetrical model using subdivision. later on i try welding vertices to reduce polycount

if i'm doing something like that truck i would draw a spline using the side view as a template, then similarly extrude/subdivide as normal once i've got a nice shape to work with

edit: i also try to do as much libraryin' as firestorm, but as i'm generally working with solid shapes, i just end up with a sequence of half-formed units (it's nice if i want to go back a few steps, or if i want to make a variant or something like that)

Return to “Art & Modelling”