Random wip 2012+ - Page 20

Random wip 2012+

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Random wip 2012+

Post by PicassoCT »

Is it a birdcage? Noo.. Is it a crystal-Meth-dispenser? NOO.
Its the sign, calling for ShaderMan.

Joke aside.. it looks really good. Quite futuristic. I like it.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Too busy in my opinion, but maybe with some good color composition it would be easier to make out what is going on. All of that grey makes it hard to understand for me.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

hmmm well uhhmm ehhh uhmm ehh

Image Image

Model is somewhat done... Wololololo high-profile fusion reactor for a little crystal gem for the win.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Demolition Commander
bigger

@Karl
I'd try to remove the 'top floor' triangle with the 'fences', but keep those three 'stadium lights' at the ends, and see what happens. :-)
(When I feel reluctant to delete stuff I worked on, I keep it as backup and maybe use it on some other unit some time.)
I think you don't need extra visual interesting things when you've already did a decent job on the rest.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Karl: I don't like it, too busy, seems like it is a communications relay rather than a reactor.

Firestorm: These mechs look cool but what are they for?
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

smoth wrote:Karl: I don't like it, too busy, seems like it is a communications relay rather than a reactor.
Too busy...? And what makes you think that it is a communication relay instead of a reactor? Then again Which part you think I should improve to make more fusion reactor like?
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

smoth wrote:Firestorm: These mechs look cool but what are they for?
Well, if and when I feel confident enough about one of them, which should be soon :-), I was planing to ask ZeroK devs if they want to use it. (Not entirety out of the blue by the way, since a while back they specified to me what they might need.)
smoth

Post by smoth »

Karl wrote: Too busy...? And what makes you think that it is a communication relay instead of a reactor?
Imageyou tell me.
Karl wrote:Then again Which part you think I should improve to make more fusion reactor like?
you have a triangluar structure with with cell phone tower arrays... IMO my idea of power structures is more bland than most rts games.Image

but most games express fusion reactors more interestingly with some central power source *FUSION MAGIC* and stuff feeding out from it.
here is one from YEARS ago that I did for the TALON faction.
1stTime

Post by 1stTime »

1st attempt in wings3d. Something random. looks like some kind of fusion reactor.

Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Sweet, 1sttime, I like the even distribution of detail and the clear design!
knorke

Post by knorke »

maybe get rid of the thin ring around the sphere, that connects the prongs/pillars: then have them wobble like this:
so that it looks like regulating the powerlevel of inside the sphere
or whatever.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

I find that gif endlessly fascinating knorke. What is it?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Those spheres are so 1960s puppet scifi show. Modern scifi uses Torus shapes! Even actual fusion reactor technology moved away from spheres for containment ( with the odd exception ). You even get a pretty excuse for a whole new class of effects rather than the simple 'glowy orb'.

Go look at ARC reactors
knorke

Post by knorke »

gif is an axial engine. page has some text and more pictures:
http://www.fairdiesel.co.uk/products.htm
but it could also be a fusion reactor!
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

AF wrote:Those spheres are so 1960s puppet scifi show. Modern scifi uses Torus shapes! Even actual fusion reactor technology moved away from spheres for containment ( with the odd exception ). You even get a pretty excuse for a whole new class of effects rather than the simple 'glowy orb'.

Go look at ARC reactors
Who needs realism as a excuse? Fanbois can make up there own reasons once you are done! And they do..
MergeNine

Post by MergeNine »

Finally got round to doing some texturing for those transports:

The colour scheme may change again for the small transport, not entirely sure if I like it.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I like it... the clash of high detailed areas (hinting complexity) with big planes which later form the shape the rts player sees most of the time.. everything great there. Only the drive.
The drive loks like someone glued a neon red pipe to it. Either hide the drive completely (makes the maschine mysterious) or else give it some space to call its place (pipes leading towards, armor bulking, colour wearing off were the radiation burns it away).

Oh, and.. if you have amourplates going in straight lines.. avoid those small uwv zigzags.. they destroy that feeling that it is hard maschinery and give that hint that the amor is just painted on a pudding.
MergeNine

Post by MergeNine »

Cool I'll keep the uwv thing in mind, the 'red pipe' isn't the drive however. It's meant as a large red sensor for sight. You can see the red sensor theme on the black dawn and krow within zeroK.
(And yep I got inspiration from Mr Ds vehicles for the whole evil red eye thing :P)

Hopefully it's more obvious which way is front on the overhead shot?

MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Having some fun with a minigun!

Going to try for as close as possible working internals, not based on the current Milspec miniguns.

Trying it in 9mm just for fun.
Attachments
N-Mini-9.jpg
(167.72 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

oh.. i put my foot in it.. again - sorry.. i just thought the red thing to be the drive.. :(
disregard the strage sounds i make while walking out in shame..

Return to “Art & Modelling”