Unit Size derail - Page 2

Unit Size derail

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

smoth

Re: Random WIP

Post by smoth »

they didn't develop that. the commander who was part of the core contengency had that plan in his assets as a trump card as part of the core's plan to come out of nowhere with this final super commander.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

No, Arm doesn't use cloning to extend life. They use cloning so that every soldier is as good as the best solider.

Total Annihilation story wrote:Long ago, the galaxy had known peace.

Paradise was ruled with the hand of science, and the hand was that of the galactic governing body known as the Core.

Ironically, it was the Core's ultimate victory, the victory over death itself, that brought about the downfall of its paradise and started the war that would decimate a million worlds.

The immortality process, known as "patterning," involved the electronic duplication of brain matrices, allowing the transfer of consciousness into durable machines. Effectively it meant immortality, and the Core decreed the process mandatory for all citizens in order to ensure their safety.

However, there were many citizens unwilling to toss aside their bodies so casually, many indeed who regarded patterning as an atrocity. They fled to the outer edges of the galaxy, forming a resistance movement that became known as the Arm. War began, though it was never officially declared by either side.

The Arm developed high-powered combat suits for its armies, while the Core transferred the minds of its soldiers directly into similarly deadly machines. The Core duplicated its finest warriors thousands of times over. The Arm countered with a massive cloning program. The war raged on for more than 4,000 years, consuming the resources of an entire galaxy and leaving it a scorched wasteland.

Both sides lay in ruins. Their civilizations had long since vanished, their once vast military complexes were smashed. Their armies were reduced to a few scattered remnants that continued to battle on ravaged worlds. Their hatred fueled by millenia of conflict, they would fight to the death. For each, the only acceptable outcome was the complete and utter annihilation of the other.
knorke

Post by knorke »

For each, the only acceptable outcome was the complete and utter annihilation of the other.
:shock:
anyway, to me it seems the story was quickly thought up after most of the game was already done? Otherwise Core units might look less like they are also controlled by humans.

Also do the campaigns give any hints why they do not nuke each other from orbit but battle on planets surfaces?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The Arm developed high-powered combat suits for its armies
for me, suit means metal shell around human body, what mean, size of such unit is 'bit' bigger than normal human being. anyway, even if i somehow, for some unknown reason, misunderstood the meaning of term 'suit', i didnt find in this text anything saying that pw should be size of a tree, building or 1 floor tall.

thats why nobody should give a fuk about scale %D

so, any new cool WIP's anyone ? KNORKOR AMAZE US
Also do the campaigns give any hints why they do not nuke each other from orbit but battle on planets surfaces?
orbital-nuke-rush would be impossible and dont forget anti spam !
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Wombat wrote:i didnt find in this text anything saying that pw should be size of a tree, building or 1 floor tall.
You find that when you play the game. Look at the bottom road, there are cars and trucks over it.
knorke wrote:Also do the campaigns give any hints why they do not nuke each other from orbit but battle on planets surfaces?
Sortof. They don't travel with spaceships, but through Galatic Gate. And Galactic Gate already take a tremendous amount of energy to work, so they only transmit one super unit (the commander) which is then tasked to build an army on the other side. Oh and as the story I posted says, neither side is in good shape, they don't have complete army anymore, and the campaign tells the story of a last ditch commando effort (to send a commie strike at the other heartland via networked Galactic Gates) rather than about full scale war.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i dont remember this map, isnt that some fanmade map ? :D
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Eastside Westside, from the Core Contingency pack, which introduced the urban tileset, which is great to get size references since it include cars, lamposts, and other features we can relate to. Because the trees and rocks of other maps could be any size.

Oh, and as I posted already times ago, you can also get the exact unit size by measuring the unit speed in pixel/seconds, and then comparing with the speed in m/s in the F1 unit info.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Wombat wrote:for me, suit means metal shell around human body, what mean, size of such unit is 'bit' bigger than normal human being. anyway, even if i somehow, for some unknown reason, misunderstood the meaning of term 'suit', i didnt find in this text anything saying that pw should be size of a tree, building or 1 floor tall.
Suit means this
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i was hoping i wont have to waste time and add 'combat' after quoting. but meh, looks like some ppl got problems :(
Gota

Post by Gota »

combat suit means this:

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

knorke wrote:then the Core computer is superstupid
The central consciousness is a human mind, not a machine. Likewise for all the rest of the core.

Imagine all humans on earth, connected, like a hivemind with individuality. It's a bit of a paradox and a mindfuck, but that's how it is.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

smoth wrote:Wrongo.

the story is very explicit.

arm and core are the same race
that race is human
arm realizes through cloning one can live forever
core realizes through patterning a person one lives forever.

core starts forced patterning.
arm starts elective cloning.

Core units have cockpits because they are 1:1 copies of the vehicles, with an computer intelligence running the controls that was once a person.

core does continue to pattern living things even towards the end of the war. Read boneyards, they pattern some general's bitch to fuck with the civi arm populace. stop making shit up.

so it stands to reason some core units may have been arm guys at one point. it also explains away how you can capture labs(which store the nanopatterns for clones or computer stored patterns). How you can res a unit if the wreckage is still there.

These are not automatons, the very heart of this war is that the individuals in question never die and continue to fight the same stupid war that they have believed in since the first iteration of their clones or patterns.

I really get tired of this debate and how so few of you remember such a simple story.
smoth wrote:.....Read boneyards....

It appears that you are aware of material I am not, and rather than point me to said material and enlighten a swathe of forum posters who all then rejoice and thank you, you have instead chosen to label me an imbecile who is making things up.

This is like me saying that North Korea didnt want to eat the South Koreans in a maddened rage. You'll say Im making stuff up. To most people it seems utterly obvious that this ridiculous statement is not true.

Unlike you, I however, dont have the luxury of travelling back in time from 2016 having seen the great S Korean dinner plates of Pyongyang.
smoth

Re: Unit Size derail

Post by smoth »

boneyard was the old ta planet wars type thing the wrote up a story to go with the matches that were won and lost. you can use web archive like anyone else.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I just had this funny thought that all of each type of unit is actually a clone/copy of one guy who was really good at piloting that kind of unit... Imagine poor Carlos... fated to pilot peewees for eternity... it's a wonder these guys aren't more suicidal.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Well it isn't like Carlos remembers the fate of his fellow clones as far as he knows he is really effective, I mean look at how much of him they wanted!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

smoth wrote:boneyard was the old ta planet wars type thing the wrote up a story to go with the matches that were won and lost. you can use web archive like anyone else.

You mean this old decrepit mirror with half the pages missing, and most boneyards references redirecting to Atari?

http://www.tauniverse.com/cavedog_mirror/

That happens to have a story from official cavedog site that contradicts your statements of Arm conquering death through cloning etc?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

AF wrote:
smoth wrote:boneyard was the old ta planet wars type thing the wrote up a story to go with the matches that were won and lost. you can use web archive like anyone else.

You mean this old decrepit mirror with half the pages missing, and most boneyards references redirecting to Atari?

http://www.tauniverse.com/cavedog_mirror/

That happens to have a story from official cavedog site that contradicts your statements of Arm conquering death through cloning etc?
I'm confused, what is it you are questioning?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Smoth is referencing Canon that I am not aware of, nor seen mentioned, and my attempt to find it failed.
smoth

Post by smoth »

google web archive HUR DUR

put in cave dog move forward to 2000

http://web.archive.org/web/200002291213 ... _6-22.html

OH LORD FLUFF
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

The only True Cannon is what George Lucas Chris Taylor smoth has in his head at any given time.

Return to “Art & Modelling”