blender user needs halp ;_; - Page 2

blender user needs halp ;_;

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Re: blender user needs halp ;_;

Post by Tribulex »

what are you talking about? All i ever use is blender. Personally I love it.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Blender has a learning curve but it's the best modeler there is. It's weak in some areas but incredibly powerful and streamlined in others. Everything I've used for modeling is shit in comparison.

My animation instructor swears by Maya saying that it's the fastest modeler he's used after over 20 years of working in the industry but even after 2+ years of using it modeling feels like swimming through jello.

Blender ftw

fanboy post
MElvinVM

Post by MElvinVM »

meh, blender is powerful, but I think its not the model program that makes a modeler good, some great modelers use other things than blender, while some use blender.

All the programs are good, as long as it can get things into spring and makes models, its just a personal choice, like pencils.

Not saying blender is bad, its just awesome thats its free like wings3D.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I would like to correct the people who are innacurately talking about blenders learning 'curve'.

It is infact a learning cliff. Blenders UI is so unintuitive, it relies heavily upon the learning of the UI and the blender conventions to get started.

For example, place a new person infront of 20 modelling tools, and ask them to select something. The first thing they do is click on it, and huzzah, 19 of the people have figured it out, while the blender person is scratching their heads and googling.

It may be a powerful tool, but the learning curve is far too steep to be called a curve, its a cliff to new users.

edit: For those baffled by blenders basic UI, this video helps a lot. and this wiki book
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

The term 'lovecraftian' comes to mind.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

MElvinVM wrote:meh, blender is powerful, but I think its not the model program that makes a modeler good, some great modelers use other things than blender, while some use blender.

All the programs are good, as long as it can get things into spring and makes models, its just a personal choice, like pencils.

Not saying blender is bad, its just awesome thats its free like wings3D.
Nah I'm not saying other modelers are bad, but from everything I've used they're all slower.

AF wrote:I would like to correct the people who are innacurately talking about blenders learning 'curve'.

It is infact a learning cliff. Blenders UI is so unintuitive, it relies heavily upon the learning of the UI and the blender conventions to get started.

For example, place a new person infront of 20 modelling tools, and ask them to select something. The first thing they do is click on it, and huzzah, 19 of the people have figured it out, while the blender person is scratching their heads and googling.

It may be a powerful tool, but the learning curve is far too steep to be called a curve, its a cliff to new users.

edit: For those baffled by blenders basic UI, this video helps a lot. and this wiki book

It's not that hard, all you need is to take a couple tutorials to get started. The same holds true for most apps, tbh. Even if the simple functions are very easy to find and use, it takes time and learning to get familiar with everything, that's true of any app with the amount of functions that an advanced modeling app requires.

Still, even though the UI is unconventional, once you learn it its unparalleled, it's incredibly moldable and VERY fast to use.

They're making the UI better in the new version too, it should be out before too long. They organized stuff and made it a little more intuitive for new users.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Just to reiterate what InsaneInside said: We're not here to argue about which modelling application is 'best.' This thread is for helping Wombat with his issue. If you want to talk about something else, make a new thread.

That said, my personal belief is that it depends of the user's personal preference. Some artists prefer paintbrushes, some like pencils and pens.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

small observation, ctrl + F f***s up normals too :D
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

ok, i dont want to create new topic.

is half transparent texture possible ? i want glass effect (for cabin).
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Not in spring.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

kinda old news
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Transparency_Sorting

you can enable OpenGL alpha blending through Lua but you'll have the depth sorting issues
Argh

Post by Argh »

Not in spring.
I've had it working for quite awhile over here. The question has been how to get it in a performance-friendly shader, not just make it work.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

sooooooooooooooooo... should i bother enslaving Kaiser to do it for me ? 8)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

oh yeah baby do it for me

Return to “Art & Modelling”