MidKnight's Models! (new:I am back at it!) - Page 12

MidKnight's Models! (new:I am back at it!)

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

What should I work on next?

Core t2 walker?
14%
Core t3 mech?
19%
Core heavy gunship?
11%
Arm heavy gunship?
3%
Arm fighter?
11%
My own mod?
43%

Total votes: 37

CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: MidKnight's Models! (new:In Soviet Russia, Milo Models YOU!)

Post by CarRepairer »

Otherside wrote:putting stupid names of units into the texture = fail
+1. Please rename Marshmallow back to Gnat.
Otherside wrote:and the problem with CA = we replace stuff but then once its in game no1 bothers to improve it and moves on to the next unit
I don't agree with this. If someone comes along tomorrow and feels like making a better hammer, they can make it. Who cares. Nothing is a waste of time and Midknight learns as he goes. Even if you make a model and it gets replaced, that time wasn't wasted.

Midknight, the Milo is pretty cool (except for the name printed on his chest like he needs it as a reminder :P).
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I like the name Marshmallow. CA has a nice cute casual feel to it, and silly names like that reflect it. That was fun in TA too - I mean, on one hand you had scary names like The Annihilator, but on the other hand you had fun little things like Peewees and The Can and Morty.
maackey

Post by maackey »

Otherside wrote:and the problem with CA = we replace stuff but then once its in game no1 bothers to improve it and moves on to the next unit
When IP infringing material is gone I will go back and fix stuff (and hopefully others will too). Replacing those models are my priority over making a perfect unit the first time around.

When all the units are replaced, (and we finally decide on a name) we can start advertising without any inhibitions from legal issues, which equals *gasp* MORE PLAYERS. A very small community is nice, but it takes too long to start a game: we need more players. period.

Anyway, back on topic: MK keep on improving! :-) This is much better than your previous attempts at mobile mechs :P
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

That's not metal... it needs some color... noise and scratches...

Model is good :)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

that's an urbanmech but I told you before
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Hoi wrote:That's not metal... it needs some color... noise and scratches...

Model is good :)
I don't know the exact ingredients to make something look like metal, but it sure as hell doesn't need more noise and scratches to look metallic.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

More that there is no incentive to. The first accepted submission gets a fanbase, any future work has no guarantee of use, no matter how good it is. Every remodel of a remodel is a matter of risk and waste.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I think that will stop happening, when it's all finally replaced.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Argh wrote:I think that will stop happening, when it's all finally replaced.
Which is exactly as it should be. TA-free CA first, then pretty CA second. Although I am a bit concerned that nobody's making wrecks. Making wrecks is a thankless job, but if you skip making it for yoru new model, nobody's going to make it later.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Metal isn't so hard. I find a cloud filter and a noisy pixel filter of some sort work nicely, provided the contrast is really low. The best tip to making metal different from other things is PRESHADING! Metal should be pretty reflective compared to other things, but even ingame, the reflectivity of a unit doesn't help it so much.

You can look at two of my better units (IMO)
Wolf MBT
Osprey
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

lurker wrote:The style... it just doesn't work. Most of your models do, mk, but this one that you admittedly rushed doesn't.
I made that model with your feedback in mind. I tried to stay away from more primitive shapes and things that may bite later in UVmapping.

I assume what you're getting at when you talk about the style is that the unit really lacks a sense of character, a sort of distinctive shape or feature that could define it. It seems confused or jumbled. I agree, and think the model didn't really come out the way I would've liked it.

The next model I make isn't going to have concept art, I think that may let me work my aesthetics out better. I think that planning my models out isn't a very good idea, as what happens is that I think too much about it's practical capabilities, and not enough about visual appeal. The end result is a unit that looks ugly and still doesn't pass your realism inspection.
My biggest texture gripe is that it's apperently made of concrete. I think I should take away your fill tool for a month.
Metal base + my attempt at preshading + noise. No fill. aybe I used a bad base texture? Maybe arm models need more color choices than white and gray? It looks better at a distance, if that's any consolation. I'm probably going to up the reflectivity a bit later, tell me if you guys think that's a good idea. Do you guys want the source texture image?
Pxtl wrote:It looks at least as good as that radar plane and the Logos LLT that you've already included. I figured he was being consistent with the low standards that were already set.
I'm still trying to get better! I'd love some tips! No, "this sucks because of x" does not count. Don't tell me whats wrong and why. Tell me what's wrong and exactly how I can improve it. I thank Snipawolf and possibly Hoi for doing this.
Otherside wrote:putting stupid names of units into the texture = fail
It's an easter egg. Feel free to remove or change it.

Also:
I fixed the barrel's UVmap. No more crazy scaling.

Milo is now the Medusa. See the unit helptext and the commit message for the reasons behind the renaming. Texture plate hasn't been changed, though. As I previously said, feel free to change it, but I really don't want to touch that texture for a while.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I didn't mean that as an insult - I assumed they were rush-jobs. In both cases, the problem isn't the choice of base texture - look at Smoth's models, which are almost entirely bereft of base texture. Relying on a base texture is a recipe for failure.

The problem is that there is no details that are working with the contours of the model. You need pre-shading (put shadows where you'd expect shadows to be) imply some effects at the edges and corners of hard edges. On the flat surfaces, look at real-world metalwork and include some of the seams, panels, features etc. you'd see on such a thing.

A little gradiated highlight along some hard edges, and a glint a some of the corners, can do wonders.

Here, let me show you an example of how some good preshading can make an ugly, low-poly model with flat, un-textured metal look good:

Sorry about the small image, but Sideswipe from Transformers Quake was the first thing that came to mind as the simplest way to illustrate preshading.

Look at the shadow of his helmet on his face, the shadow on his bicep cast by his shoulder, etc. Notice the gradual highlight along every faded edge, the smooth shading of his gun-barrel. Notice how different faces are different brightnesses - the armpit-side of his bicep is darker than the other sides.

Look at the lines on his torso and wrists - lines that do not exist on the mesh. Look at the shading on his torso.

This model is unlit, and it looks good (except for the wonky crashing of his legs into his crotch). It looks better when lit. It's a Quake 2 robot model (made by Phukyumoto), which shows a comparable polycount to RTS models, which is why I picked it.

See the things I'm talking about?

edit: I just realized that model is like 12 years old, when I was playing the Transformers Quake beta. Holy crap I'm an old man.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

MHO on the Milo:
The barrel is too big (wide diameter)
I'd like to see it keep the twin-barrel look of the original hammer
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I like it. The exaggerated gun and large legs convey it's purpose and make it easily recognizable, especially among all those sphere bot remodels.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

After a month with nary a model, I've managed to pull myself together and crank something out! :P

Presenting...
...This thing!
The structure when idle.
The structure when deployed.

Your challenge: Guess what role I have planned for it!
Snipawolf, Overkill, PressureLine, AlcariTheMad, ScarySquirrel, Journier, and Evil4Zerggin cannot participate, as they already know the answer. Sorry! :P

I hope to finish this unit and get it ingame. I'm quite happy with the way the model turned out, but the texture will really make or break this unit.
aGorm

Re: MidKnight's Models! (new:I am back at it!)

Post by aGorm »

I assume the seaplane platform... if I'm right what do I win?? :-)

aGorm
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

aGorm wrote:I assume the seaplane platform... if I'm right what do I win?? :-)

aGorm
that was very close, but CA has no seaplanes.

If you win, I will requisition a cookie from AF and award it to the lucky winner. :-)
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

k, i assume its a lab, so maybe a hover lab
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

gunship lab?
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

LordMuffe wrote:gunship lab?
Correct.
This forum post best read while viewing this image

Return to “Art & Modelling”