Unknown extection - Upspring

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Adalore

Post by Adalore »

I recently Started learning how to model and I am trying to make a mod also, With Agon.

As Agon does not have windows, I was going to do the upspring monkey business, and thats exactly what it is.

Got fustrated this morning trying to get it to import to the proper format to put it in game.

This is the unit (picture taken by Agon and By agon for that matter)

When I try to do "Save-as" for up-spring it keeps giving me "Unknown file extension" So I can't even try to do any more work on it.

Can some one please inform me in the manner that I can get this to work to my required specifications so I can at least attempt to put this unit in game with overly OP weapons?
Argh

Post by Argh »

You need to add the file extension manually. IOW, when it prompts you to save, it'll put the filename, "giantrobot", for example... you need to manually add ".s3o" to the end, so that it reads, "giantrobot.s3o". That's all you need to do. If you want to export back to OBJ or 3DS, again, manually put the right file extension on, so "giantrobot.obj", or "giantrobot.3ds".

It's one of several odd quirks of UpSpring you'll just have to get used to :-)
Adalore

Post by Adalore »

Ah thank you! also thank you for the fast reply.

Now to get cracking and Attempt to add this ingame even if it doesn't have a walking animation!! Mow down dem Peewee's!!
Adalore

Post by Adalore »

I know I am double posting but its deleyed by more then an halfhour.

I am woundering how do I properly add a base plate to my models? The example units do but I don't know how to make them properly.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

s3o's don't need baseplates.
Adalore

Post by Adalore »

Ah Ok, thank you.

It's just the examples that came with Upspring had baseplates thanks for clearing that up Peet.
Adalore

Post by Adalore »

Bang another question!!

In what matter do you get more then one UV map to work?

I am trying to make a proper mech and I want to make sure it can walk, In doing so I am Ending up with a buncha UV maps, Hmmm.

Is there a way to combine UV maps form Wings 3d? And how do I get the object tree to work correctly?

This is getting a tad time consuming.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

There's no way to use multiple UVmaps in the Spring engine, you have to UV the unit as a whole.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

There is a way, but a decent example has not yet been provided ;-)
Argh

Post by Argh »

I'll be happy to provide a working S3O that is designed for multitexturing approaches, when I see that Gadget and can do bumpmaps and alpha-trans ;)

Return to “Art & Modelling”