wings v blender - Page 2

wings v blender

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

wings or blender?

blender
48%
wings3d
52%

Total votes: 29

smoth

Post by smoth »

where are all these blender users? I only see mostly wings users in here!

BLENDER PEOPLE STEP UP AND HELP A GAME PROJECT PLEASE!
ironized

Post by ironized »

dw im a blender user, now that i know i can use nurbs and surfaces

ill try churn out a model today ;)
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I realy don't understand the blender interface... or teh controles... And i found it was harder to UV map a decent UV map in.

Then someone showed me wings and I was hooked!

aGorm
rcdraco

well

Post by rcdraco »

I use Wings, but I tried Blender first, but I switched to Wings because it was supposedly easier.

It took me awhile to actually learn Wings all mouse control system, but once I learned it, I stuck with it, because it works with Spring and I understand how to use another, no reason to learn another.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Personally I've never tried NURBS and AFAIK they're diffcult to handle which is why everyone uses subD instead of NURBS for highpoly stuff these days. I'd use neither for modeling lowpoly since they aren't designed for that and will probably end up restricting you somehow or just wasting polygons you could use for more details instead.

For textures you use the same as for any game: UV-mapped images.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

rhino3d > all for modelling. can handle pretty much every model format known to man - and several known to monkeys!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Isn't Rhino one of those 8000$ apps?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Nope, only 995.00 ├óÔÇÜ┬¼ for a single license.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

It's simple.

Wings: lowpolymodeling

Blender: highpoly and animation

Blender sucks for lowpoly modeling, you can't make hard edges. So use wings for that, it owns at it. But dosn't do anything else, for that you use blender.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

rattle wrote:Nope, only 995.00 ├óÔÇÜ┬¼ for a single license.
I think I could get a new computing rig for that.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Easily, too...
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Zpock wrote:It's simple.

Wings: lowpolymodeling

Blender: highpoly and animation

Blender sucks for lowpoly modeling, you can't make hard edges. So use wings for that, it owns at it. But dosn't do anything else, for that you use blender.
You can make "hard edges" with Blender, you can use Blender for low polygon modelling just fine, it's just that you would only use a small percentage of Blenders features.
Take for example this blender file I made for the new site. It was very easy to do with Blender.

Still I do not suggest learning Blender if you just like to make a few units for Spring. Wings has a far simpler interface and it should be easier to get the result you need. But if you have a broader interest in 3D and need to model things for day's on end I would absolutely recommend Blender. You won't get much result the first two weeks or so as you have to learn the interface and (specific Blender) modelling technique's. The interface is not designed for simplicity but for efficiency. Everything you could need is generally one (keyboard) click away. So once you know what's what you can work 'really' quick with Blender. The work flow is designed to be as flexible as possible so that you can do everything you can come up with, although the general focus is on 3D animation video. But for just about anything you need there is a button or script that helps you create the thing you need.

Now please understand that I'm not some Blender guru, I'm not involved with the Blender project or even used much of the advanced features Blender has.
I'm just a regular Blender user.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Yes, blender merely requires ones with a lot of perserverance or skill.. That is all.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Did they put in control over normals/hard edges or something? Or are you refering to splitting up polygons into separate objects and stuff to do it?

The hotkey idea with blender is good, being able to efficiently use hotkeys is a must I think. I don't think this is that unique for blender tough, wings can be easily configured to be really good with hotkeys. Most program makers try to at least let you define your own altough I do think it's nice when if they try to do the job of setting things up in a good way from the start too.

Some things youll use all the time do need 3 keys or something, I tend to want it at preferably 1 click, or maybe a 2 combo for things that have options like different directions. Some ui things tend to be messed up tough, for example it always pisses me off to no end that I can't change how the viewport viewing controls works. I want to use one mouse button to rotate the view, NOT press alt-mouse button. This can be done in wings tough and therefore I really like it. However on the other hand I can't map hotkeys in wings for UV mapping wich is annoying as hell.

I really wouldn't recommend trying to low poly model in blender unless your totally grown into the program or something. Wings is really easy, and really excellent for this purpose. Blender is a good program too tough, but really if your starting out, just don't pass on wings and go for blender for modeling spring units. You will want to use both programs eventually, but definitly start with wings.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I have to disagrea with people on blender. It takes a more advanced user to make lower poly models in blender. Sure you can do the same in 3dsmax if you know the modifier stack... but frankly you have to be pretty experienced. Most of the spring content developers are making stuff only for spring and nurbs are a bit overboard for them.

I have used both and frankly I HATE blender. I hate removing an edge only to produce a hole that I have to stitch up. Now, I may be stupid here but I have not read of a way to do subdivision modeling like wings has. In wings it is like working from clay.. in blender I feel like I am building a wire frame and covering with paper mache only to have to tear off a side when I want to do something other then extrude.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

:( I said it was hard..

Oh well, yeah.. I can agree with Smoth, I tried modelling in Blender (with tutorials, then freelance).....

and I wanted to blow my browns out..

What did they help me model? A ****ing stickman, made of cubes, then they fricken made me smooth it over a few times..

It was pathetic, the freelancing wasn't much better...
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

smoth wrote:I have to disagrea with people on blender. It takes a more advanced user to make lower poly models in blender. Sure you can do the same in 3dsmax if you know the modifier stack... but frankly you have to be pretty experienced. Most of the spring content developers are making stuff only for spring and nurbs are a bit overboard for them.

I have used both and frankly I HATE blender. I hate removing an edge only to produce a hole that I have to stitch up. Now, I may be stupid here but I have not read of a way to do subdivision modeling like wings has. In wings it is like working from clay.. in blender I feel like I am building a wire frame and covering with paper mache only to have to tear off a side when I want to do something other then extrude.
Low poly modelling with NURBS is easy. :-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

how long did it take you to learn nurbs?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

I don't know everything, far from it. But what I do know I learnt mostly from doing the Rhino tutorials in a day, and experimenting myself whilst doing S44 models on the best ways to construct particular bits of geometry.

Much easier than trying to do poly modelling in Rhino, imo. Couldn't get the hang of Wings. :(
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Can't get wings...?

....?

......?

???....

:?

Return to “Art & Modelling”