wings v blender - Page 4

wings v blender

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

wings or blender?

blender
48%
wings3d
52%

Total votes: 29

Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

SHIT!!!

My self-induced adrenaline rush just ran out.. :|

Edit: alright, I sure as hell won't be impressing anybody around here...

Bah, Flozi, do your own work.. Smoth, like I said before, modelling Humans is hard, if this is anything more than a metallic human, let me know.... I might try this challenge again when I have more experience with modelling humanoid like units...

Sorry for the fuss... I guess.. Hehe, modelling anything but humanoid objects is easy..

I probably could do that car in less than 30 minutes, hehehe...
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

don't woprry snip. we will always be amased by your work.
modeling Mobile Suits is kinda hard. done it once myself. took an entire week. but imo it's better to do then a human figure, since it's actually made of geometric figures.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Amazed by my work..?

I was just trying to prove a fact that it should in no way take one whole day to model a tank...

Didn't wanna start any competitions.. -_-

Mobile suits and humans are quite hard though, I've never modelled a mobile suit, but i've been with vehicles ever since I started, I had no experience in that type of work...
smoth

Post by smoth »

well, I want to see what you can do. Fine, the dom is too humanoid. do the xamel, if it is so easy.

I am trying to show you that some times, doing something that LOOKS easy isn't what it seems. You boasted and since you are in lousiana, I know you are familiar with "if you're going to talk smack ya' gotta be able ta' back that up"

so, you have a chance to prove what you were boasting. I chose the dom tropen because I have not done it yet. I wasn't likely going to use it this is more an exercise. Honestly I wanted to see if you could back up your claim.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Snipa, don't say 30 minutes is enough and then exclude something as common as a human. We're not all making boxes stacked on other boxes. Sure, the crap in CvC didn't take me a long time but even the lolimod basemesh took a few hours (no exact figures because I take many breaks) and that's a really simple model.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Argh, you posted while I was typing.

Sure, it is easy to do a tank or vehicle, I have several:

what is hard is when you have to pull of something that is acurate to either a real thing or someone else's concept. That is what takes some amount of time. It only took me an hour to do the morty(that is with optimization) but a mech for gundam takes 3-5 because I want to do it right.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

What claim..?

I never claimed anything was EASY, I said it shouldn't take THAT long to do A TANK...

I wasn't in anyway trying to say that YOU were working slowly. I look up to you because I can't model a fucken mobile suit to save my life, or at least, I can't model one in a reasonable period of time..
I was just trying to prove a fact that it should in no way take one whole day to model a tank...
Flozi, It's an above average model, yet a below average job..

Making it fair, or good, or w/e the fuck one would like to say about it.. Personally I don't give a damn about it and I don't really like it much either way...
smoth

Post by smoth »

this is why I never say I am a good modeler, the guys who did the transformers movie make my work look like rubbish.

However, time spent probably should be at least an hour. Taking your time is all part of it. Speed modeling will yield results similar to speed painting miniatures. I insist that if you spent an hour on that tank, it could be awesome, so why not double your quality? Seems rather a waste, esp when you can use another 30 to make the model really shine.. like take that tank and continue it for a hour.

also don't look up to me, I am no more skilled then flozi, kdr or any other gent in here.
Last edited by smoth on 04 Jul 2007, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

KDR_11k wrote:Snipa, don't say 30 minutes is enough and then exclude something as common as a human. We're not all making boxes stacked on other boxes. Sure, the crap in CvC didn't take me a long time but even the lolimod basemesh took a few hours (no exact figures because I take many breaks) and that's a really simple model.
30 minutes is enough for something fairly simple, I can make a "good" (my new definition for that word is piece of shit) model in 30 minutes..

Simple? I don't think its simple.. It looked really good to me. Simple as in low poly, perhaps....

And finally, the last thing I could care to say for a while...

I never said 30 minutes was enough. A good model is not a great model, and a great model is not a perfect model. A good model (TO ME!) is a fleshed out, unoptimized piece of shit, which is exactly what that tank was.. Still had some boxes everywhere and everything, and was unoptimized.. Read; Piece of shit.

Edit: Smoth, you are not the only one.. I was just pointing that out.. KDR has perserverance and intelligence, Flozi produces quality models... Argh works his ass off, Zwzsg is the master of the scripts...

Edit: Yes, you are correct, I can probably spend 30 minutes and make that tank much better.. I don't know if I shall, though...
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Go on, do it! Certainly took me more than 30min. :P

As for a 'days work' that's more or less 5 hours modelling for me, usually browsing forums and discussing things with Nemo or Spiked at the same time. Add on another couple of hours for meshing and smoothing.

Just because something is a 'tank' or a 'car' (or a gundam :P ) doesn't mean its easy to get it right - you model mainly from your imagination, you stop when you want to. Me and Smoth model something that already exists, we have to look at sources, examin it from every angle, think about the best way to build a particlar part of geometry, possibly make several attempts to get it looking right...
smoth

Post by smoth »

speaking of models.. flozi, are you going to setup a gallery of your shaded models without textures? It would be neat to see something like that...

hell, when are you gents making a homepage?!?!
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Well, thanks flozi, now knowing that you consider a day's work 5 hours of work is quite... Interesting, and could've killed over half of this discussion...

Yet, you are false, flozi, I do need to keep my stuff specific to my criteria, sometimes its work, sometimes its pie..

+1 to the homepage idea..

Let's try not to derail this thread much more, :lol:
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

smoth wrote:speaking of models.. flozi, are you going to setup a gallery of your shaded models without textures? It would be neat to see something like that...

hell, when are you gents making a homepage?!?!

Eventually. :oops:

for now there's https://1944.bountysource.com/

and 5 hours is a guess, it's probably a minimum. Still, no more than 7 hours modelling.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

On my latest model, a tank sort of, I have spent several hours thinking about how I want to shape the tracks, then the turret, and now I'm trying to figure out how I want the hull. I have ben working on it for weeks now I think. I have also made a really cool model in an hour or so in the middle of the night.

Time is an irrelevant resource, for making stuff up "inspiration"/ideas is the real resource.

For modeling stuff from references, it's mainly a matter of practice, how much hard (mentally) work you can get done. If you model the same thing a lot you can churn them out faster after a while. But as long as your not working for someone with an per hour salary, who cares how long it takes, it's what you get done in the end that counts. Some people might do something nice in 30min and then be mentally exhausted, others work for 10h and make something nice, others might churn out 20 nice models in the time, good for them.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Well, for me..

I don't like trying to imagine stuff unless I get a wild hair and draw something (if I don't draw it instantly, i completely forget how it goes) then I can model it..

Otherwise, my imagination is my worst enemy...
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I usually use pindown sketches as I call them, basically a drawing that has all the detail but not necessarily correct proportions (since I can't be bothered to do those :P). these days I tend to sketch stuff with edges in Blender, usually in 2d since that means I don't have to juggle paper when using the sketch.

This one's an example:

The model that was made from that is this.

I'd also post some scanned pictures but I don't have the time for scanning stuff right now.

Return to “Art & Modelling”