Industrial Revolution v1 - By KaiserJ - Page 2

Industrial Revolution v1 - By KaiserJ

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

BaNa

Re: Industrial Revolution v1 - By KaiserJ

Post by BaNa »

PicassoCT wrote:How we give up our -nothing shipped with the engine policy - at least for maps, and put some of the shinier ones with it.
this.map(KaiserJs frozzenThrone) + smoths.work(grts-series) +behes.work(tabulav4,gehena, magicforrest..) + forbs.work(evomaps..)

i know, its a stupid phail mission to try to fight the artist-standalonecomplex, but i can dream of not redirecting newbs who came in on a installer for empty games asking (where can i get maps/mods) towards springfiles to load dsd and oldBA.
Dont forget zw's wonderful generated shiny map.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

fuck Everytime this map is mentioned, i have to do a theme for it. DIE IN AGONY BANA!
sigh..
open Photoshop...

you see painting jobs are easy, so if you deliver modells with a uvwmapped, not done texture, everyone can paint on that.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

having played around with the map a bit, I have a few little suggestions. These are ofc just my oppinion but you might find them helpful if you release a v2 of the map in the future:

+ Consider making the shadows longer (lower sun) and darker. The texture is very busy, which makes shadows a useful means of emphasizing the position of your units.

+ Consider reducing the contrast and saturation of the map. Nothing dramatic, but making the texture of the 'plaza' style bricks on the main floor blander would likewise improve visibility.

+ The row of buildings at the top of the map look like smokestacks (they even have vents on the roof) - why not make them into geothermals? could lead to fun with Zero K spiders and air :-)

+ I would darken the water (specifically, make it get darker and more purple-y as it gets deeper) to increase the color palette of the map, which is mostly light beige and grey atm.

+ Make the metal spots more pronounced - they are visible, but less so from higher zooms. I know many players play with F4 on the time (I do on many of the uglier maps) to offset this, but I wouldn't want to do that on a pretty map. brighter spots with a darker outline around them or something.

+ Skybox! As already mentioned, a baller sky-box would be an excellent addition.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

good suggestions sire
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

I'd reduce the size to 18x12. And decrease the height a bit also.

Map feels a bit too large imo. It has nice interaction between allies so its not team 1v1, but it could work better.

Maybe I could do this, plus some of the knorkes suggestions? Shall I?

I was also thinkin how cool it would be having a map option to set lava instead of water, so that the lava would rise and dissapear like in the lava map? That could make some interesting rushes on the bottom.
wolas

Post by wolas »

:evil: It passed, epic porc battle

http://zero-k.info/Battles/Detail/50835

by the way for everyone those features disapears from longer distance? I have same problem on mine map with huge features.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Features disapperaring are a known issue, their visibility is calculated from their center.
wolas

Post by wolas »

I guess if features would be replaced by gaia units it would be ok?

Also kaiser you created only heightmap with max or anything more? With blender for same map size with ~2.5 pixels per vertice it is kinda horrible cpu lag for me :)
smoth

Post by smoth »

same shit would happen with units. Welcome to spring.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Made a new mission for Evolution RTS based upon this map.

Soon as I test it some more it will make it's way into the desura install of evo along with a singleplayer launcher thing (soon as I figure out how I want to do it).

You need Evolution RTS Test 201 to play the mission. You can get it via rapid using evo:test

The Emperors new Tech:
Engineer Marbuk, you have accepted this mission even though the odds are highly stacked against you. You are to be commended for your loyalty and service.

We had previously gotten reports of the colony here on Industrial Prime working on some new technology. Turns out that it is a new, compact, supertank. A few of our spies were able to bribe their way to get close enough to the crew of this supertank, and for a hefty sum have agreed to defect.

There is a slight problem, however. We have no way to airlift the tank out quietly, as it is made of superdense material and our lifters may not be able to clear the tall spires, and going around them is suicide.

This is where you come in, Engineer Marbuk. You are to stealth your way in and rendevous with the supertank and it's crew, Codenamed: Flash

We cannot afford for the enemy to find out that it was we who stole the Flash tank, so we can not afford to allow you to build more than rudimentary powerplants and defenses, radar towers and radar jammers, as anything else, if caught, could be taken as an invasion and would spark an all-out war.

Godspeed, Engineer Marbuk!
Evolution RTS - The Emperors new Tech.zip
(258.61 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Lemmie know if anything is broken, misspelled, bad grammar, etc.

P.s. I forgot to mention that this mission is pretty involved. It requires a lot of micro, and if you know how to manipulate COFC camera it will help you a lot (press and hold ctrl+middle click to rotate camera, alt+middle click to aim it).

Be careful not to brush up against other units as it will cause you to decloak and likely get pwninated quickly.

PPS, also forgot to mention that the start it, just place the sdz in games or mods and drag the txt file onto spring.exe

Edit: I have updated these missions to work with Evo Version 2.2 (evo:stable). This 7z includes both the missions, "The Emperors New Tech" and the "Destroy Overseer Hablon (Needs eye of horus v2 map)" mission. Enjoy :-)
Missions.7z
(274.26 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 30 Jan 2012, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Height differences are the biggest problem of this map, but overall the map has too many places where players can entrench and just make gameplay really rigid and boring. It's one of those concept designs that looks good at first sight but plays terrible in *A games. It's obvious you put a lot of work into this, it looks good, but not every magnum opus is a hit..
smoth

Post by smoth »

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

SirArtturi wrote:I'd reduce the size to 18x12. And decrease the height a bit also.
dude you're totally more than welcome to make some adjustments, but bear in mind that changing the map size will throw off the size ratio between the features and the map... might be a fair bit of work, just a warning

Wolas wrote:by the way for everyone those features disapears from longer distance? I have same problem on mine map with huge features.
yeah it has something to do with hitboxes, by lowering and making them smaller it seemed to help the visibility of the pipes somewhat (although as you can see, it could be better... but it's a bit out of my element)
Wolas wrote:Also kaiser you created only heightmap with max or anything more? With blender for same map size with ~2.5 pixels per vertice it is kinda horrible cpu lag for me :)
basically what i've done, rather than work with surfaces that are actually of spring map complexity was to start with a single plane and then divide/extrude it so that it fits within the aspect of the spring map that i would like to create... even for ones like frozen fort where i combined a spring-complexity heightmap with my own models, there are some tricks you can use (such as not using full complexity of the displaced heightmap until i am ready to render) maybe that doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense how i've explained it, but stay tuned: i will be making a tutorial to cover how i put these together.

forb: nice, i gotta check this out! map should play great for evo.

cheese: this is why i always whine and cry for concept sketches / res layouts for maps ;) i'm decent at making it look pretty, but generally my maps are always too porcy and too rich in resources to provide a fast game. to be fair though, i did design this with "popular" maps in mind rather than "good" ones, if that makes sense...

the other thing too that appeared as i watched a game of BA on it is that people are so jaded from Dsd strategy that they will ignore obvious things... i've given an assload of platforms, tons of "stealth ramps" to flank and surround enemies, and yet... everyone painfully pushed into the tiny middle corridor, hanging onto the "hold the line" strategy that has made many such maps the most popular to play. having the very tall height map places is a double edged sword (or at least i hoped it would be) because unless you are sure to protect them, somebody will fly their boi onto them and make a guardian in your base.

i haven't watched the ZK replay yet, thanks for providing that wolas. gonna check that out a bit later on

but yes, i agree. i spent too long trying to make this map look sexy, and not enough time on the general flow, that it ends up as a bit of a porcy mess (despite beheriths best efforts heh)... it's a stylistic thing; all of my maps really end up like this, some people really love them and some people really hate them; im just happy that this on is in a playable form. hopefully though we can all agree that this is among the most attractive "constructed" style map, as that was really what i was going for... (now it's other mappers turn to push back and show me up)

anyways thanks again dudes for testing and trying, i love you all.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

northern parts of map are air nightmare lol. but ye i understand you cant do anything about it.

map is GREAT! <3

now finish the ice one >:(
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

@kaiser, yes, it plays very well. Unfortunately the pool is so deep that regardless of the fact that I have amphibs set to only lose a tiny bit of speed when they enter water, spring slows them down to almost 0. That's kind of disappointing, but that's an issue with spring, not the map.

WRT the mission, I have about 10 hours into this mission, and it still isn't done. I'm still adding polish and stuff to it. The mission itself is actually really easy if you work smarter, not harder. If you try to brute force it, it will be very difficult. Took me a long time to figure that out, and I made the damn thing. Much of what I did was more effective than I hoped.

I also fixed a ton of tiny little bugs in dealing with it, which was nice. I'm very much looking forward to feedback from you once you've played it. It really is quite enjoyable (Especially once you get the flash tank) :-)

In my experience, making the rendezvous is easy. The hard part is making it out alive =D
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forboding Angel wrote:@kaiser, yes, it plays very well. Unfortunately the pool is so deep that regardless of the fact that I have amphibs set to only lose a tiny bit of speed when they enter water, spring slows them down to almost 0. That's kind of disappointing, but that's an issue with spring, not the map.
that's an evo issue..
my kids said the water is fine
your kids r being pussies
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

a cool map! did anything ever usurp the ubiquitous dsd?
smoth

Post by smoth »

nope, it is losing popularity due to being played out tho
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

would donating money into a tournament pot - for example in zerok or any other game change the situation?
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I've played several big games on this map now!

The Map layout is porcy as hell, making it very hard to break through at any point. I play zero K, which is over 9000 times less porcy than *A, and it is still a problem. I dont see any way that could be fixed short of changing the map layout, and some players like long games, so not necessarily a flaw.

I would straight out remove the upper piping on the smokestacks, the map looks gorgeous without them. With them, they flicker in and out of existence at different viewpoints and obscure visibility.

Return to “Map Releases”