Micro Modules 1.09

Micro Modules 1.09

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Micro Modules 1.09

Post by KDR_11k »

Sounds used from Evo RTS under "Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License", presumably made by Forboding Angel.

[img]http://kdr_11k.from-hell.net/loadpic1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://kdr_11k.from-hell.net/loadpic2.jpg[/img]

http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1466

MM is a mod about blobs (in fact I'd almost have called it Blobmod but figured that's too boring). Blobs can merge into larger units (any pairing of blobs will produce a different unit, it matters which blob was told to merge with which blob, the one that got the order forms the weapon while the other forms the body) and those larger units can be joined by additional blobs to get more firepower and armor (defenses also get more range).

For example: Red being told to merge with blue forms a Tank Destroyer, more red = more damage and more blue = more HP
Blue being told to join Red forms a Cannon Turret, more blue = more guns/larger bursts and more red = more HP/range.

To get more than your starting blobs tell your Master Converter unit to call a wave of shadow blobs, kill the evil blobs to get more blobs of your own. Be sure not to call for more than you can chew, you can start with an Easy wave right away but don't just rush for the larger ones without adequate power to defeat them. Watch out for Wraith Destroyer tanks, they shoot powerful bombs that do massive damage. Obviously larger waves = more blobs = more to kill. You can only have one wave in play at the same time but you can put the MC on repeat to call for a new wave once the old one is defeated.

You can load blobs of any color into the Master Converter and unload them as another color, hence the converter name.

Higher units don't die if their HP are depleted as long as they have additional blobs loaded, each time their HP drop to zero one blob is eliminated so more blobs = more total HP. Beware of Disruptor Tanks though, they'll make your units shed their blobs and leave them vulnerable!

The mod hasn't undergone multiplayer balance testing and due to its min-maxing nature will probably be horribly IMBA. Good luck.
Agon

Re: Micro Modules 1.0

Post by Agon »

Nice idea but I can't really play it long because of random crashes on unit selecting.

Edit:
Again. Now I selected two upgraded units.

Edit:
Again and again. I crashed in each played game.
I could play mostly only 1 to 2 minutes.
Last edited by Agon on 14 Sep 2008, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Agon: No idea what's happening, noone else seems to get that.

http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1467

Fixed the bug with waves spawning on the wrong side of the map.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

1) this is the awesomest game ever. Love the creeps, the art, the unit system. Awesome.

2) problem is that it goes on forever. I got a turret up over a hundred, and the thing was an absurd beast. Perhaps a finite number of creeps needs to exist? Or they just lay out on the map? That is, you cover the map in little dormant creep-boxes, but it takes a lot of damage to open it and it is not auto-targeted. So, players have to go hunt for creeps, and drawing out a large creep horde takes a long time because the large creep-boxes have a massive amount of armour to open before they even become available. Just base the creep-distribution on the metal map. Bigger boxes taking more damage would also prevent the "sneak up and call mega-horde near enemy" problem.

That way, the resources are depletable. When there are no more creeps, there is nothing to do but fight. Creep farming gets old.
Agon

Post by Agon »

Now I know the error:
"Speicherzugriffsfehler" ~ memory access error

Seems the mod wants to access a file/folder which it is not allowed.

Which folders/files does the mod use?
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

that's segmentation fault, not just "memory access error", read: spring bug

EDIT: wonderful concept, props KDR
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

Agon: post infologs.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

he uses a linux package with stripped symbols, hence no stracktrace
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Nano blobs with a twist.
Agon

Post by Agon »

Code: Select all

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7f7e13911740 (LWP 10909)]
0x0000000000610c6a in CMouseHandler::GetCurrentTooltip ()
Current language:  auto; currently asm
Happens then I select more than one unit.

Edit second try:

[Switching to Thread 0x43524950 (LWP 10935)]
0x00007f752cfe522d in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libopenal.so.0
Edit third try:

Starting program: /usr/games/spring spring/
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
warning: Lowest section in /usr/lib64/libicudata.so.38 is .hash at 0000000000000158
[New Thread 0x7f9224e75740 (LWP 10945)]
[New Thread 0x42354950 (LWP 10948)]
[New Thread 0x41022950 (LWP 10949)]
[New Thread 0x41ad2950 (LWP 10950)]
[New Thread 0x42b55950 (LWP 10951)]
[Thread 0x42b55950 (LWP 10951) exited]
[New Thread 0x42b55950 (LWP 10952)]
[New Thread 0x43356950 (LWP 10953)]
[Thread 0x41ad2950 (LWP 10950) exited]
Using LUAUI_DIRNAME = LuaUI/
*** glibc detected *** /usr/games/spring: free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x0000000006027280 ***
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-open.c: 260: dl_open_worker: Assertion `_dl_debug_initialize (0, args->nsid)->r_state == RT_CONSISTENT' failed!

Program exited with code 0177.
Maybe someone helps me how to find this bug....or tells me which tools I need to use.

One more:

Error while mapping shared library sections:
\"{*ᅴEVa\"{*ᅴZᅴᅴ\"{*ᅴjᅴᅴ\"{*ᅴfᅴi\"{*iᅴᅴJ\"{*j&Zᅴ\"{*ᅴᅴᅴᅴ\"{*ᅴᅴfᅴ["|*ᅴᅴᅴᅴ{*|*ᅴᅴᅴᅴ\"{*ᅴjiᅴ\"{*ᅴᅴYᅴ\"{*jZᅴi|"{*ᅴᅴiᅴ|*;: No such file or directory.

[Switching to Thread 0x7f4e69181740 (LWP 11035)]
0x00007f4e70cf3a18 in ?? () from /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
And another one:

[Switching to Thread 0x7fb26f173740 (LWP 11050)]
0x0000000000466702 in CNamedTextures::Bind ()
Current language:  auto; currently asm
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

I dont get the early gameplay, its really slow and not noob friendly.

If i wasn't so interested with this mod, i would have given up the first time i played.

10 mins into the game and i could only with stand easy at a push.

using my com to do most of the leg work.

Most of the players who join my host dont know how to play, and its time we could be playing that i have to explain.

i still dont fully get it after sevral 1 player games and mulitplayer
smoth

Post by smoth »

played a game with some people who I highly suspect were smurfs. Was team killed. Either way, here is the replay kdr.
Attachments
080914-Comet Catcher Redux-0.76b1.zip
(42.61 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

agon: first, try this mod in svn and see if the problem happens there, too. if so, configure spring with

scons configure debug=yes optimize=yes
and run spring under gdb, post backtrace (bt command) here, or preferably on mantis.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

smoth wrote:played a game with some people who I highly suspect were smurfs. Was team killed. Either way, here is the replay kdr.
I WAS IN THIS GAME :D

in other news, the teamkiller said he killed you to stop the game
because he thought it was fail

Game should have 1 team mode also

Because i cant be on both teams, and no one seems to know how to play it but me :P

EDIT:

I've just had two noobs disccuss about new mods, and that this shows they should stick to BA

I lol'd
Last edited by Spawn_Retard on 14 Sep 2008, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Singleplayer would be silly, the waves are meant as cannon fodder.

People wanted a unit list:

Anything on blue is a tank, anything on red is a turret, anything on green is a plane. Turrets get more range with red blobs.

Blue on Blue: Battle Tank
Racks up HP quickly but since more blobs only prolong the burst it can't go very high DPS wise. Works well as a blob killer or possibly an armored transport for blobs

Red on Blue: Tank Hunter
Puts all its fire power into a single, powerful shot. It has a low rate of fire but the damage goes up really fast.

Green on Blue: Disruptor Tank
Every hit this thing lands makes one blob drop out of the target unit (only if blobs are loaded) and stuns them for quite some time. Its burst contains as many shots as weapon blobs are loaded so it drops as many blobs out of the target. It's great for softening a huge unit but it'll need some support to actually finish the dropped blobs.

Blue on Red: Cannon turret
It's like a Battle Tank, high HP, anti-blob weapon. Except it has up to three turrets so it can go through its burst 3x as fast, doing way more DPS. Its shots go faster as reds are added.

Red on Red: Artillery turret
It's mostly for attacks or fire support in prolonged battles, fires a volley of missiles in a high arc that take a while to arrive. More reds add more speed to the bullets so they go further but take longer to arrive and spread more. It's fairly easy to make an arty reach across the map.

Green on Red: Missile turret
Shoots guided missiles, due to the higher damage per missile (but longer reload between bursts) it can do a lot of DPS, it's precise at any distance so it won't help much vs blob swarms but can put some serious hurt on tanks or planes.

Blue on Green: Air fortress
A gunship, it has a blue burst weapon like the battle tank but also a heavy cannon like the tank hunter (weaker though). Good HP too.

Red on Green: Bomber
Drops bombs, what else? The bombs do more damage with more blobs, each one is roughly equivalent to a TH shot with more AOE, a bomber is a massive threat though it lacks HP.

Green on Green: Fighter
It's mostly designed for air to air combat or scouting, shoots missiles like the missile turret but with less damage. The huge LOS makes it an excellent scout though.

Additionally there's the blobs, the Master Converter and the black blob and tank. Black blobs are like blue blobs, black tanks like THs with much bigger stats (though they appear with only limited blob counts) and excellent AA capabilities (air strikes vs waves aren't terribly effective unless you can shrug the tank shots off)
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

That explains the units, but what about the blobs? Blue generally adds armor to tanks (and the rapid-turret), red adds firing range to turrets... but what about the other cases?

And when it's all hitting the fan, I can't keep track above how the blobs themselves handle. Blues act as little mini tanks, so they're useful. What about red and green?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

nice mod
smoth

Post by smoth »

Spawn_Retard wrote:in other news, the teamkiller said he killed you to stop the game because he thought it was fail
Why didn't he join another game?
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Air is under powerd, bombers do nothing but die way to fast, even with lots of health.

Arty are way to slow they shoot behind the attack that is coming.

turrets have huge range

Enemy Air would be nice

should be a explanation ingame what blobs make what units :)
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

KDR, you are a god walking among us mortals.

i love this. A few ideas, it would be nice if some would get added as mod options:

- Creep spawning: it would be cool if creep could also spawn over metal spots, perhaps the number could reflect how much m there is. This way we could have resource income every 1 min or so. Just throwing this out there.

- Waves: It should be made clear how waves work (e.g they go to the PLACE they where called from [maybe you could make them patrol between spawn point and dest?]), and if you can only have 1 wave at a time (perhaps this could also be a mod option, so if one wants to, they can play multi-wave multiplayer with offencive waves [<3 you sakky])

- PvP action: when i kill a players blobs, i should gain blobs (not 100% of blobs killed, but some). This would also be cool as a mod option slider cause then we could set between 0-100% to make for custom game.

Again, EPIC game KDR.

+1 to air being sort of up, the big creeps had some evil way of making my air units loose all their blobs and then it was 1 shot.

- Maybe also put a time limit on the wave calling, so you can only call medium wave like 5-10 mins ingame?

- ooh also +1 to the idea of having a speed blob! we need moar scouts and micro units.

- hey we could also use radar / LOS increasing things i dunno what but that is pretty low right now...

Return to “Game Releases”