BA 1v1 tourney sunday 20.6. - Page 2

BA 1v1 tourney sunday 20.6.

Subforum for the organization and gathering of competitive players to talk about the opportunities for competitive play. Post all tournaments notifications here.
Wombat

Re: BA 1v1 tourney sunday 20.6.

Post by Wombat »

or
Hobo Joe wrote:
KaiserJ wrote:not a bad point gota; but this way people can prepare and try the maps out and work on strategies beforehand...

tbh i think it would be pretty cool if the WHOLE tourney could be played on -new- maps that are only released moments before the tourney begins... that way everyone would be on the same level in terms of map knowedge
And reveal their untested imbalances and shaft people on their first round of the tourney
or just having more fun and be less predictable

ah no sorry, growing e-penis is more important, nvm
albator

Post by albator »

Hobo Joe wrote:
KaiserJ wrote:not a bad point gota; but this way people can prepare and try the maps out and work on strategies beforehand...

tbh i think it would be pretty cool if the WHOLE tourney could be played on -new- maps that are only released moments before the tourney begins... that way everyone would be on the same level in terms of map knowedge
And reveal their untested imbalances and shaft people on their first round of the tourney
I think a reduce nummber of pople could test the map in 1vs1 before and do not participate to the tourney.
I can be one of them if you want

I really think should an awsome idea

edit: thanks for the links
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

easy enough to make a mirrored map...

that way if it's fucked, at least it'll be equal from both sides. nobody has to get shafted. i could only see problems arising if the map is not mirrored, and even then, i doubt that a well-planned map would give this kind of problem.

maybe i will make 3x 1v1 maps or something, and try to organize a tourney to play on them in the next few weeks/months if people feel its a worthwhile idea

edit : lol hobo you're such a negative nancy, lighten up!
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

KaiserJ wrote:easy enough to make a mirrored map...

that way if it's fucked, at least it'll be equal from both sides. nobody has to get shafted. i could only see problems arising if the map is not mirrored, and even then, i doubt that a well-planned map would give this kind of problem.

maybe i will make 3x 1v1 maps or something, and try to organize a tourney to play on them in the next few weeks/months if people feel its a worthwhile idea

edit : lol hobo you're such a negative nancy, lighten up!

Only in the morning. :(
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

If someone manages to find some "untested imbalances" that just means they did better map analysis than their opponent.

All these maps are functionally mirrored and everyones free to pick their side differently on each map, so there is no balance issues here... If some map plays in a manner you don't like, tough shit, many people don't like some of the old & heavily played maps either.

And yeah a tourney seems like an alright place to introduce new maps.
Gota

Post by Gota »

It's not about the map being balanced.
It's about people being unfamilair with the maps and making moves that are completely wrong for the map but are not easy apparent to be bad just by looking at the map...
What you get are shitty boring games.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Gota wrote:It's not about the map being balanced.
It's about people being unfamilair with the maps and making moves that are completely wrong for the map but are not easy apparent to be bad just by looking at the map...
well i can agree with all of this... it really depends on what the nature and quality of the created maps would be though dictating the success, rather than just the maps being new (i could take red comet, rearrange the mexes a bit, and you'd probably still be able to play in the same manner, just as an example)

i could see fails coming in the form of misleading slopes, differing metal amounts, strange tidal / wind values, or just bizarreness in general.

that been said, most "competitive" style maps seem either to favour one type of unit (vech maps or bot maps) or feature a fusion of the two with clearly defined boundaries (altair crossing is a good example of this)

all im thinking is that given simple enough concepts, normally sized and placed and distributed metal spots, and no "proof of concept" maps or maps favouring things like trans commander starts, and an "easy to read" texture, this type of "new map" competition could be successful.

certainly a different type of competition, pro players wouldnt be able to practice specific strats... so it would be more of a match of strategic improvisation and adaptation rather than purely micromanagement
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Gota wrote:What you get are shitty boring games.
I disagree. What happens is the opposite imo. If players don't know how to play a map but are half decent they realize what they do wrong and adapt. Executing the same BQ for the 100th time on a map you've played 1000 times is boring.
pintle

Post by pintle »

Teutooni wrote:
I disagree. What happens is the opposite imo. If players don't know how to play a map but are half decent they realize what they do wrong and adapt. Executing the same BQ for the 100th time on a map you've played 1000 times is boring.
Amen brother.
Gota

Post by Gota »

I'm not just speculating.
Its not the first time there are unpopular maps in a tourney.
You get boring short games.
we'll see i guess.
Last edited by Gota on 20 Jun 2010, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Teutooni wrote:
tell that to the dirty DSD crowd
pintle

Post by pintle »

Gota wrote:I'm not just speculating.
we'll see i guess.
Totally depends on your definition of boring. I find watching top tier players on BA CCR incredibly zzz inducing, but that's just me.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Gota wrote:I'm not just speculating.
we'll see i guess.
Compare to some old popular maps then - are games on geyser very long for example? From what I've seen games played on these maps, they weren't too short or boring compared to anything else. That's why I chose them, they're solid maps that make interesting games.

Yes some past tourneys have had maps that made for a big amount of boring disappointing games. But these maps are better than that, sure someone can still make a stupid mistake and lose right away but that can happen on every map even after tons of experienc on it.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Carpenter wins! For the finals both players agreed to a best of 3 instead of 5.

ggs wp
pintle

Post by pintle »

lol apparently i was in this tourney?
aegis

Post by aegis »

and your opponent beat you a thousand times?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Tourneys have always been a good place to debut maps by skilled map developers.

Return to “Tournaments”