Spring site testing - Page 2

Spring site testing

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

abma
Spring Developer

Re: Spring site testing

Post by abma »

smoth wrote:- I don't know how to acess spring site to fix.
patches/fixes are welcome: https://github.com/spring/spring-website
smoth

Post by smoth »

how do I execute them? I want to do more than a css tweak, Can I get admin acess on the wiki on the test server?
knorke

Post by knorke »

logout page looks funny (on springrts.com)
FF 10
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

smoth wrote:how do I execute them? I want to do more than a css tweak, Can I get admin acess on the wiki on the test server?
  • Fork on github
  • Set up forked repo locally via W/M/L/XAMPP
  • Commit/Push changes after testing
  • Issue pull request for merging your version of the site into the official version
  • Official repo is deployed to Test subdomain
  • If everybody agrees its an improvement, deploy to live site
Its not just the CSS thats in the git repo, its the site in its entirety, phpbb, mediawiki, the custom code, and all the other stuff. See the readme file for the database and phpbb attachment dumps.
smoth

Post by smoth »

that isn't what I need to do.

christ, it isn't a matter of adding a file or tweaking a value..
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Then start a new thread, those instructions cover just about everything to do with site development. If it doesn't fit in then your problem is content or moderation/administration, not development.

Also, phpbb needs:

Code: Select all

#maincontentwrapper{ width:100%; }
smoth

Post by smoth »

I want to test something against the dev version of the site. Are you saying this thread is NOT for site testing?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

AF wrote:Also, phpbb needs:

#maincontentwrapper{ width:100%; }

thanks, applied. (maybe CTRL+R and/or CTRL+F5 is needed to force reload the stylesheet)

@knorke: fixed by this change

(now, since all errors are gone its time to make a new page! :-P)
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

abma wrote:(now, since all errors are gone its time to make a new page! :-P)
using "float:left" is evil and _breaks_ stuff:
  • bottom padding is not existing if page is higher than 100%
  • menubar is still broken with smallscreen rendering (cause of "float:right")
-> Never use "float:" for inline alignment (except for elements in text), elements with such a tag don't resize their parent elements and break stuff in a lot of ways.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

jK wrote:
that was a bad joke... float left was the only solution i saw to fix the strange breaking without changing big things that would maybe break much more.

imo biggest problem on this page is, that we use mediawiki and phpbb with the same stylesheets. see http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... ne&group=0
whats broken on the menubar? imo its fine how it wraps. it looks much uglier with a min-width set and not wrapping.

yeah, indeed bottom padding is not existing.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

how it looks like currently:

how it should look like:
Attachments
smallscreen_menu_ideal.png
(144.1 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
smallscreen_menu.jpg
(63.92 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Adding:

#menu {
float: left;
width: 100%;
}
To the relevant media query corrects the menu issue. I would also add some kind of clearfix to the #wrapper element.

The problem here is that there is no grid system or structured layout in place, and we're dealing with the mishmash of fnordias table foo, my div wrapper changes, and the hodgepokery style changes of 3 or 4 people to try and make things pretty.
smoth

Post by smoth »

jK wrote:
-> Never use "float:" for inline alignment (except for elements in text), elements with such a tag don't resize their parent elements and break stuff in a lot of ways.
dunno, I found float to be awesome if you manage it correctly.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Anyone got problems with the latest rev: http://test.springrts.com/ ?
(except the linebreak one in the community headlines)

smoth wrote:dunno, I found float to be awesome if you manage it correctly.
I explained why it is evil, you don't have any counter arguments ... (also I don't disapprove it everywhere, just for aligning containers it is the devil himself)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

There are some nice improvements in there, particularly in the menu. I don't know about the white text glow but I don't oppose it. I would say for the moment it would be worth looking into making it so that the smaller form of the navigation is what's used when normal sized too.

Also on Chrome 17 the text in the 3 buttons is top aligned now rather than vertically middle aligned.

For anybody making further changes, it would be a good idea to replace the rotating images instead with div containers using the background image to specify the image instead. Then, list all the images in an overflow-x: hidden container so they're aligned in a long row in the container., and randomly picking one via javascript. We could also use nivoslider on the main homepage banner too. This should speed up page times by not reloading the banner every time we load the page, letting the browser cache a lot more stuff, and letting us cache the header itself so it's static.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

AF wrote:I would say for the moment it would be worth looking into making it so that the smaller form of the navigation is what's used when normal sized too.
Smallscreen menu must be different from normal one. You cannot just resize the normal one and say it's fine. smallscreen=smartphone and you rarely have a mouse pointer there instead buttons need to be large enough for your fingers.
AF wrote:Also on Chrome 17 the text in the 3 buttons is top aligned now rather than vertically middle aligned.
fixed
AF wrote:For anybody making further changes, it would be a good idea to replace the rotating images instead with div containers using the background image to specify the image instead. Then, list all the images in an overflow-x: hidden container so they're aligned in a long row in the container., and randomly picking one via javascript. We could also use nivoslider on the main homepage banner too. This should speed up page times by not reloading the banner every time we load the page, letting the browser cache a lot more stuff, and letting us cache the header itself so it's static.
Bad idea, this way the browser would preload all images on first load and so the site gets slower & traffic increases.
Last edited by jK on 21 Feb 2012, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The buttons aren't any bigger on the small screen though, the whole point of the bar is not for usability, it's to stop the current style looking horribly broken.

Also right now instead of the browser preloading every image, we have it reloading every image regardless half the time.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

AF wrote:Also right now instead of the browser preloading every image, we have it reloading every image regardless half the time.
1. But it is shared between all opened instances in the browser.
2. Code says each _single_ image is cached and tests circumstantiate that it works. (see ETag)
AF wrote:The buttons aren't any bigger on the small screen though, the whole point of the bar is not for usability, it's to stop the current style looking horribly broken.
They are fixed size, while the only possibility to get the `normal` menu for smallscreens too would be to reduce the font-size -> making buttons smaller.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

i added as test the wysiwyg extension to the mediawiki. it only shows up, when you login to the wiki + click on "Show RichTextEditor"

http://test.springrts.com/mediawiki/ind ... ction=edit

requested by smoth, forb and some others. ("without i have no desire to write docs").

it seems to be useable, but isn't displayed correctly because of our css changes. so... my suggestion is: wait for feedback and then revert or keep it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Looked fine to me.. what did it look like for you?

Return to “Infrastructure Development”