Some changes regarding sounds in mods - Page 2

Some changes regarding sounds in mods

Resources to get you going on your new project, or to help you over some emergent problems during your development cycle.

Moderator: Moderators

SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Re: Some changes regarding sounds in mods

Post by SeanHeron »

@KDR, maybe I didn't get what you mean - but I think I did (if it was what you said in Capslocks above). The thing is, constuctive criticism looks different (and I know you can do that, I've been very thankful for yours elsewhere!).
@Smoth, "you guys" was certainly a somewhat unfair generelisation, I'll admit - I was guessing you're joking, but the problem with text only communications is that you lose all the non verbal clues, so it's far easier to misunderstand something. And between the other comments, it's easy to read your comments as just harking in with the other game/content makers.

On including the disputed file in springcontent.sdz - sure this could be done, but then you'd be getting the precise problem again that they set out to solve in the first place... seeing that most new games are likely to depend on springcontent, but less likely to be throwing the three sounds into the sounds folder (guess if the call is different and it would no longer crash, you could think about it). Or did you mean just for an interim period?

Regards and no hard feelings
Sean
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

thesleepless wrote:
KDR_11k wrote:BUT WHY IS THERE NO DEFAULT FILE IN SPRINGCONTENT?
make a free one and put it in there?
It's right there in the first post but unless it goes into the springcontent file all mods released before the file was introduced will lack these sounds. I don't see a reason not to include it, a mod that wants different names there can still get its own file while all the mods that haven't been adjusted would function as before.
seeing that most new games are likely to depend on springcontent, but less likely to be throwing the three sounds into the sounds folder (guess if the call is different and it would no longer crash, you could think about it).
If it crashed new mods would place the sounds there anyway and all old mods have them already because it crashed in the past. If it doesn't crash it won't matter to a new mod whether the lua file is in there or not. Sure, having no file there would make a new mod not crash if it had no files for that but it would break all the old mods. I don't see much gain in letting new mods ignore those files if it means that old mods will lack the sounds even though they have the files.
XTA Developer

Post by 8611 »

Return to “Game Development Tutorials & Resources”