Mac OS X Snow Leopard test release - Page 3

Mac OS X Snow Leopard test release

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

gisborne

Re: Mac OS X Snow Leopard test release

Post by gisborne »

Bump. Any news?
Belmakor

Post by Belmakor »

Bump. Any news?
Err... not from me, sorry. Got sidetracked... maybe the mac Spring curse is more powerful than I thought...
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Could someone put together an ordered list of steps for what I need to do to run spring on my Macbook (I believe core 2 duo). Complete layman's terms, links to whatever I need to get, with no detail left out (don't say "compile bla" - I don't know how).

Edit: I am told this can't be done yet. I hope one day soon.
daftalx

Post by daftalx »

Please keep a little more patient, things have (finally/again) moved forward a bit and a tutorial is on the way. Just another few glitches to handle on the lobby and we should be up and running soon..
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Well, that sounds promising, thanks for keeping us in the loop.
releppes

Post by releppes »

Can I get some feedback with Spring performance on a MacBook Pro?

I've got a MBP (late 2009 model, 2Mb RAM) and would like to know the general performance of Spring. I own all the old TA games (including TA:K), and I'm interested in playing them again. Especially TA:K since I was never able to get that to work on my PC.

Thanks!
daftalx

Post by daftalx »

releppes wrote:Can I get some feedback with Spring performance on a MacBook Pro?

I've got a MBP (late 2009 model, 2Mb RAM) and would like to know the general performance of Spring. I own all the old TA games (including TA:K), and I'm interested in playing them again. Especially TA:K since I was never able to get that to work on my PC.

Thanks!
Although I've never been running the so-called "old" TA games, in the current Spring project the performance greatly depends on the graphics settings you choose (via the spring settings app). Setting everything to low quality, Spring can basically run fast on a lot of hardware, and this would definitely be OS-independent.

As for your current Mac hardware, be sure Spring will run smooth, since it runs fine on my late 2007 MBP (first C2D edition). I could plot out a few fps stats if you'd like (I'm mostly using the BA mod), but again depending on the graphics settings, the map textures and number of units on screen, this may vary a lot.
RyanTheHeretic

Post by RyanTheHeretic »

Howdy people; first-time poster here.

I've been interested in the Spring Project for ages, but until now I never really had the time to go through with getting it installed on my Mac.

Alas, it doesn't seem to be working...

Code: Select all

LogOutput initialized.
Spring 0.81.1.3
Build date/time: Feb  1 2010 15:50:06
Available log subsystems: Sound, VFS-detail, VFS, ArchiveScanner, unit, CollisionVolume, mapinfo
Enabled log subsystems: Sound, 
Enable or disable log subsystems using the LogSubsystems configuration key
  or the SPRING_LOG_SUBSYSTEMS environment variable (both comma separated).
using default configuration source "/Users/Ryan/.springrc"
[CMyMath::Init] CPU SSE mask: 126, flags:
	SSE 1.0:  1,  SSE 2.0:  1
	SSE 3.0:  1, SSSE 3.0:  1
	SSE 4.1:  1,  SSE 4.2:  0
	SSE 4.0A: 0,  SSE 5.0A: 0
	using streflop SSE FP-math mode, CPU supports SSE instructions
Using read-write data directory: /Users/Ryan/.spring/
ERROR in /Users/Ryan/.spring/ArchiveCacheV7.lua: could not open file: /Users/Ryan/.spring/ArchiveCacheV7.lua
Content error: could not find 'gamedata/parse_tdf.lua' code
Any hints would be appreciated! :)
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

you have to use make install in order for spring to find certain files correctly
RyanTheHeretic

Post by RyanTheHeretic »

I don't know what Make Install is, could you give me some tips?
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

sorry, I assumed you was compiling your own version

the error means that spring cannot find the file base/springcontent.sdz

it should be located in
Using read-write data directory: /Users/Ryan/.spring/
to be honest I seriously doubt that the opening post build would work, spring just got a mac buildbot, which means that proper mac builds will arrive soon, I think your best chance it to wait unless you want to dig into development.
releppes

Post by releppes »

daftalx wrote:
releppes wrote:Can I get some feedback with Spring performance on a MacBook Pro?

Thanks!
Although I've never been running the so-called "old" TA games, in the current Spring project the performance greatly depends on the graphics settings you choose (via the spring settings app). Setting everything to low quality, Spring can basically run fast on a lot of hardware, and this would definitely be OS-independent.

As for your current Mac hardware, be sure Spring will run smooth, since it runs fine on my late 2007 MBP (first C2D edition). I could plot out a few fps stats if you'd like (I'm mostly using the BA mod), but again depending on the graphics settings, the map textures and number of units on screen, this may vary a lot.
Thanks for the feedback. I keep checking the Spring Project homepage hoping to see a OS X download. I look forward to replaying TA and trying some of the new mods.
gisborne

Post by gisborne »

BrainDamage wrote:spring just got a mac buildbot, which means that proper mac builds will arrive soon
Any news on this?
daftalx

Post by daftalx »

gisborne wrote:
BrainDamage wrote:spring just got a mac buildbot, which means that proper mac builds will arrive soon
Any news on this?
The buildbot is up and running fine (I'm hosting it). There are a few hicks with some of the targets, but basically spring itself compiles and runs fine.

From a player point of view, a tutorial has been out there for a few weeks already (cf. http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=23455). There's even a way to compile and install Spring in just a few lines thanks to MacPorts.

The remaining issue is getting a lobby to run on Mac. Right now I have an alpha-stage port of SpringLobby which is running more or less ok, though I consider this still too much alpha-stage to publish it. But if you assume you've been warned, I can add this to the tutorial to give you a feel of where we're at.

Return to “Mac OS X”