AlphaLobby Alpha 0.06.10 - Page 5

AlphaLobby Alpha 0.06.10

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

Axiomatic

Re: AlphaLobby Alpha 0.03.3

Post by Axiomatic »

Right but winXP DPI only controls font size (I think). It is not nearly as comprehensive as vista and windows 7. In those OS's I need to explicitly declare the application to be DPI aware, so the OS turns off DPI virtualization.
As far as I know, doing this shouldn't have create any problems, except icons would be stretched as I only have 16x16 compiled in. I still want to test it however.
IIRC, it's possible to do disable DPI virtualization by right clicking on the executable and toggling a checkbox in the compatibility tab.
Axiomatic

Re: AlphaLobby Alpha 0.03.3

Post by Axiomatic »

http://springfiles.com/system/files/dow ... 0.03.5.exe

I decided to stop the login box popping up since most people who play multiplayer will autoconnect anyway. Combobox scrollbars fixed, also has replay support... sort of.

Works but is ugly as *, and doesn't show any details except filename.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Re: AlphaLobby Alpha 0.03.5

Post by Satirik »

Axiomatic wrote:Right but winXP DPI only controls font size (I think). It is not nearly as comprehensive as vista and windows 7. In those OS's I need to explicitly declare the application to be DPI aware, so the OS turns off DPI virtualization.
As far as I know, doing this shouldn't have create any problems, except icons would be stretched as I only have 16x16 compiled in. I still want to test it however.
IIRC, it's possible to do disable DPI virtualization by right clicking on the executable and toggling a checkbox in the compatibility tab.
doesn't the screenshot says "To change font sizes only, click Cancel and go to the Appearance tab", maybe you should try instead of thinking
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Another portion of feedback :)

Confirm password dialog parent is main window, not login dialog. So, this dialog can be hidden below login dialog.

WWW link in about dialog is not clickable, so generally useless.

Can you make player spawn points buttons twice bigger (single player tab)?

Default color is black for all players. I think other lobbies assign colors from 16-color palette or smth similar.

Can you divide AI options cause their count is dynamic while other options entry number is static. You may even move them into submenu. Also interesting implementation of these options, but what will you do with input fields? AI options can declare interval fields.
Axiomatic

Post by Axiomatic »

Satirik wrote: doesn't the screenshot says "To change font sizes only, click Cancel and go to the Appearance tab", maybe you should try instead of thinking
I meant in win7, this is just me repeating what I read off msdn. I have tested in windows XP, things look fine at different DPI and font sizes.
I will try in win7 when I can, but I need to get access to a computer with win7 on it. I'm thinking I'll enable DPI awareness in the manifest and if anything is broken someone will post report eventually.
slogic wrote: Confirm password dialog parent is main window, not login dialog. So, this dialog can be hidden below login dialog.
fixed
slogic wrote: WWW link in about dialog is not clickable, so generally useless.
Yes it is. The dialog box is just a simple message box at this time, so it doesn't support anything more than plain text. Making a better one is on the todo list.
slogic wrote: Can you make player spawn points buttons twice bigger (single player tab)?
spawn points buttons were defined as being 14 pixels wide; I forgot to define them in general terms. It was big enough on my 1280x800 display but I've fixed it to be twice the average character width.
I intend to do graphics instead of simple buttons at some stage.
slogic wrote: Default color is black for all players. I think other lobbies assign colors from 16-color palette or smth similar.
fixed
slogic wrote: Can you divide AI options cause their count is dynamic while other options entry number is static. You may even move them into submenu. Also interesting implementation of these options, but what will you do with input fields? AI options can declare interval fields.
AI options was just hacked together, using menus for things is a lot less work because I don't need to specify layout. iirc it only shows list options atm. I could get other options to display easily enough since all the work is done for mod/map options. The get number dialog needs work though, it ignores min, max and step.

Can't release the fixes above yet, Rapid downloader is half finished and afk work is stealing too much time.
Axiomatic

Re: AlphaLobby Alpha 0.04

Post by Axiomatic »

Most of the above is fixed now. Rapid download protocol is supported, so frequently updated mods (Zero-K) are now playable.
http://springfiles.com/system/files/dow ... by0.04.exe

bot colors is now set randomly:

Code: Select all

uint32_t color = (rand() | rand() * (RAND_MAX + 1)) & 0xFFFFFF;
yeah its not good but I need to find a way to choose an unused color in multiplayer games, so there isn't much point doing any work for this yet.

I think AI options supports bools and numbers now, but I can't test because afaik, there aren't any bots that use these types.
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Yeah, bool is supported. Test with Null AI ;)

I had to remove alphalobby.conf to enable single player tab work again with new version.

Last request: remember open tabs, and... my dream... remember last single player settings. Last one requires introducing validate mechanism when tab settings is loaded because some mods or maps or AIs can be removed in offline.

Oh, setting player as spectator is missed!
Axiomatic

Post by Axiomatic »

Remembering tabs is a much better system than the "autojoin channels" field I currently use. Spectate in single-player is trivial; took me all of 2 minutes (guess I wasn't thinking of AI devs when I coded single-player xD). Saving options will take me a little longer to do. I've become aware of some problems with Rapid downloading so I need to fix that first.
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

Axiomatic wrote: Rapid download protocol is supported
My hero! Don't stop! :-)
Axiomatic

Post by Axiomatic »

http://springfiles.com/system/files/dow ... 0.04.1.exe
Lots of fixes for rapid download. Mainly it checks errors properly and won't copy *.sdp file until all dependencies are obtained and passed integrity checks.
Also doesn't check for errors in existing files anymore, so there won't be a delay before fetching files.
Added spectate option for singleplayer.
slogic
AI Developer

Re: AlphaLobby Alpha 0.04.1

Post by slogic »

What's the purpose of multiselecting in battle list? Batch maps/mods downloading?

PS. In "Host new battle" dialog same bugs with list boxes as were in single player tab.
Axiomatic

Post by Axiomatic »

slogic wrote:What's the purpose of multiselecting in battle list? Batch maps/mods downloading?

PS. In "Host new battle" dialog same bugs with list boxes as were in single player tab.
Multiselect is default behavior, as is combo boxes not showing scroll bars. It only takes half a minute to fix, the hard part is noticing the small problems in the first place.
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Major bug: native language letters are not sent to server. Thus i can't chat in my language.

Also a list of autojoin channels is required, imho.
Last edited by slogic on 04 Feb 2011, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
Axiomatic

Post by Axiomatic »

slogic wrote:Major bug: native language letters are not send to server. Thus i can't chat in my language.
http://springfiles.com/system/files/dow ... 0.04.2.exe
This fixed now. Didn't realize MS sprintf couldn't handle utf8.
Actually the whole program is a mess of utf8, utf16 and ascii because win32 calls use utf16 and everything else uses utf8. Is a real PITA to deal with.
slogic wrote:Also a list of autojoin channels is required, imho.
Was just thinking that if the last sessions channel tabs are automatically joined on start, then a keeping an autojoin list isn't really required.
Thinking about it more, it wouldn't make sense to reload a private chat if that user isn't logged in. As far as i can tell, the only tab worth saving would be single player.
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Axiomatic wrote:Was just thinking that if the last sessions channel tabs are automatically joined on start, then a keeping an autojoin list isn't really required.
Thinking about it more, it wouldn't make sense to reload a private chat if that user isn't logged in. As far as i can tell, the only tab worth saving would be single player.
I agree with remembering last channels only (no private chat) & SP tab.

PS. I think /join #channel is broken in last revision. Check yourself.

PPS. List of channels is not UTF-8 aware too.

PPPS. Press Ctrl+<Arrow_Right> several times and you can open hidden tab! :)
Axiomatic

Re: AlphaLobby Alpha 0.04.2

Post by Axiomatic »

It seems like there are a lot of problems with unicode. Honestly it's just not something I really noticed because, well I've never needed more than 94 characters.
I could continue to hack support in where its needed, but I'm thinking it would be far better just to use utf16 internally, since win32 calls greatly outnumber unitsync and network. Unitsync and network calls are also much better encapsulated.

Its going to take quite some time to change 500 occurrences of 'char' to 'wchar_t'. Worst thing is that win32 isn't typesafe, so I can't just do find and replace and rely on the compiler to find errors.

How I wish windows used utf8 like everybody else...

EDIT:
Spoke too soon there, I don't need to convert everything to utf16, the few small bits that arent unicode aware are easy enough to fix.
Last edited by Axiomatic on 05 Feb 2011, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

You hear it? That's the wind laughing. Laughing because you used C. :P
Axiomatic

Post by Axiomatic »

Cheesecan wrote:You hear it? That's the wind laughing. Laughing because you used C. :P
Using a different language doesn't save you from dealing with apis that use different character formats. And Java isn't really easier in this respect, it uses utf16 just like windows.

At any rate, converting between the utf8 and utf16 is no more work than a single function call in either language, so its not a big deal. I only need to add maybe 6 or so explicit conversions to fix the few little bits that aren't unicode aware. Converting everything to utf16 would have be completely unnecessary.

PS: C is pretty much perfect. The only features I miss are from functional languages; not from the language that forces object oriented design, whether its suitable or not.
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

I tried testing rapid. It crashed. Windows 7 64 bit.

Tried it several times with the same result. Clicking yes or no both ending in it crashing. If you need any additional information just let me know.
Axiomatic

Post by Axiomatic »

Seems like rapid is broken when I enable optimisation, fix coming asap

EDIT:
http://springfiles.com/system/files/dow ... 0.04.7.exe

I get what I deserve for making changes without testing. Forgot to add __attribute__((packed)). Anyway, its fixed now so it can pass integrity checks.

It doesn't handle errors properly yet so if one file doesn't download it gets stuck at 99% or crashes. Also it puts files in "spring/pool", so it won't play nicely with zero-k. (fixed)

Thanks for reporting this. The screenshots are useful too. The battleroom looks especially ugly in win7 because of the lack of borders and spacing between controls. Its not quite so bad in XP but it is certainly something I need to work on.

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”