OpenLobby

OpenLobby

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

Cheesecan

OpenLobby

Post by Cheesecan »

Renamed CheeseLobby to OpenLobby, which is in reality a brand new project to develop a modular lobby for Spring. The idea is to make a lobby framework that can be easily adapted for different Spring games.

The core is being written in Scala with support for several JSR223-compatible JVM-based scripting languages for the GUI which is largely a separate entity.

All core modules are standalone OSGi bundles with services that the GUI will use to implement lobby functionality. This allows runtime updates of the core without affecting the GUI or even requiring restart, though I haven't yet figured out how to handle bundle state changes without placing requirements on GUI operation. Contributors can more easily extend the lobby without burying themselves into details regarding the whole of the application. Basically this is how I should/would have developed CheeseLobby if it had not started out as a university project with a deadline of ~2 months. :-)

I'm making a reference GUI implementation to go with it, probably in Groovy or JRuby. I realize there are lots of lobbies out there already and that player base is dwindling, so in all likelihood nobody will adopt OpenLobby for their games, but who cares when you get to try out new technology. :-)

CheeseLobby legacy:

CheeseLobby is a cross-platform multiplayer lobby client for Spring.

Downloads
  • Removed last binary because download sites were posting buggy alpha projects from my sourceforge account so I decided to erase all my projects there
  • Source code on github
Bugs
Found a bug? Don't bother to report it, won't be followed up see OpenLobby instead.

Changelog

Code: Select all

*Fixed lots of random stuff.

*Improved system paths handling under Windows.

*Fixed NPE on lobby ring.
*Removed unnecessary resources(filesize decreased by ~2mb).

*Updated unitsync to 85.0.
*Fixed lwjgl natives not being found on java.library.path.
*Added remote error reporting.
*Made chat text more clear. 
*Made tables more compact.
*Added a not so annoying ringing.
*Improved settings.
*Fixed some bugs.
Last edited by Cheesecan on 01 Feb 2012, 23:47, edited 18 times in total.
Beherith

Re: CheeseLobby *WIP*

Post by Beherith »

Cool beans, what language are you using?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Relevant to my interests.

Will your lobby be open source? What tooklit will you be using?
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

It's written in Java and will be open source but not GPL. I will also be making a ranking server.

One neat thing is that I am using the Substance look&feel library to provide over a dozen different application themes:
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

cool...
if you need help, especially with unitsync for example, ask me.

Personally i am interested.. how much experience do you have as a Java dev (and with GUIs)? Can you tell us more about the technologies you plan to use (ant? maven? OSGi? ...).
Last edited by hoijui on 26 Dec 2010, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

For which platform is this lobby being created for? Windows or Linux?
aegis

Post by aegis »

java. crossplatform (like tasserver, aflobby, etc)
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

hoijui wrote:cool...
if you need help, especially with unitsync for example, ask me.

Personally i am interested.. how much experience do you have as a Java dev (and with GUIs)? Can you tell us more about the technologies you plan to use (ant? maven? OSGi? ...).
Thanks, I'll be sure to do that if I run into any probs.

I have 3› years experience with Java & GUIs. I'm using Swing and the application is multi-threaded.
Technology-wise there's not much to tell right now, it's just a plain old Netbeans project at the moment. The ranking server will be running on a Java EE application server connected to a SQL database. I hope to have a prototype with some of the basic features you would recognize in a lobby client done in a week from now. I am probably a bit optimistic with how much I think I will get done in that time frame. Especially if I check the forums too often. :mrgreen:

Here's a screenshot of the channel user list I've been working on:

My first goal is to have chatting finished, then I recon I will move on the game room list and then the battle room tab, joining and starting games.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i'm in your screenshot XD

what sort of magical / unique features can we expect? how will your lobby differ from others?

anyways looks sexy so far, keep at it!
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

mm nice :-)
i recommend you to use maven (it can be opened as a project as-is in netbeans, eclipse and other IDEs), but that can still be done later of course. do you use a SCM?

for the problem of checking forum too often, i recommend:
do NOT open the forum, or even the browser before you are too tired to work. thats how i try to do it.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

I've started using Maven now and set up a project at google code:
https://code.google.com/p/cheeselobby/

There's a mercurial repository there as well.
KaiserJ wrote:i'm in your screenshot XD

what sort of magical / unique features can we expect? how will your lobby differ from others?

anyways looks sexy so far, keep at it!
Features:
  • Multi-platform
  • More stable than springlobby
  • Host/join replays
  • Ranking system
  • (Better) clan support
  • Tournament support
  • Smurf detection
  • Anti-troll feature
Basically all that stuff we should have had years ago.

Edit:
I'm embarking on writing my own map loader now...! This way my lobby won't need unitsync. Surprised that simplelobby and AFlobby both used JNA. Uncharted territory. :)
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Update:
Can now see game rooms and who's in them.
knorke

Post by knorke »

I'm embarking on writing my own map loader now...! This way my lobby won't need unitsync.
Oh? Interessting.
Also what have you planned for map/mod downloading?
And will it be possible to host sp battles with bots without having to log in to the server? That would be usefull.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

knorke wrote:
I'm embarking on writing my own map loader now...! This way my lobby won't need unitsync.
Oh? Interessting.
And will it be possible to host sp battles with bots without having to log in to the server? That would be usefull.
Map/mod downloading with bit torrent or through http with springfiles.

There's no singleplayer support because we have enough lobbies that do singleplayer fine as it is imho.

A look at the new GUI..
knorke

Post by knorke »

so dl will download "real" files instead of something like the poolsystem of zk lobby? ok :)
There's no singleplayer support because we have enough lobbies that do singleplayer fine as it is imho.
but not offline...
scifi

Post by scifi »

Cheesecan wrote:
knorke wrote:
Oh? Interessting.
Map/mod downloading with bit torrent or through http with springfiles.

A look at the new GUI..
well a completely offline mode would be interesting TAS has offline single player support knorke its a bit bugged but it works just fine, you can choose missions, campaign skirmish e.t.c...... as loong as the mod has them ofc.

but it works you can choose bot position map amount of players all in ofline mode.

a similar feature would be nice to incorporate in this new cheese lobby, but its just a sugestion anyways.

what i would like is a offline lobby option for LAN, that would be awesome. A button that you could click and you would enter rigth on a lan mode. :wink:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

scifi wrote:what i would like is a offline lobby option for LAN, that would be awesome. A button that you could click and you would enter rigth on a lan mode. :wink:
+1

That would teh rock...
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

SinbadEV wrote:
scifi wrote:what i would like is a offline lobby option for LAN, that would be awesome. A button that you could click and you would enter rigth on a lan mode. :wink:
+1

That would teh rock...
If you're running a LAN, what you can do is host your own TASServer and just tell the lobby to connect to your server. You will be able to do everything you can do on the official server. I could implement a button that launches a server for you in the background so you don't have to do any work.

Singleplayer is not something I'm considering right now, maybe in the future I might change my mind, but it's a lot of extra work to provide support for every single game. I'd rather first do one thing really well(multiplayer), and then consider what else can be done. I know there's a lot of people out there who only play singleplayer, but I don't play it myself, so my personal interest to make it is very low.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

yeah... no need to include everything right at the start. if the base of the lobby is good, i am sure it will eventually be extended with whatever is really required.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

It's getting there..

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”